Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM Mallorca

Options
  • 26-03-2016 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Anyone here doing Mallorca in Sept?

Interested in accommodation sharing?

Hope training is going well,

NT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

26 degrees water temps... non-wetsuit. Lucky sods.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    26 degrees water temps... non-wetsuit. Lucky sods.

Confirmed?

Second-hand info from todays briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Confirmed?

It has been, yeah. Pity they can't be so definite about the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

zico10 wrote: »
    It has been, yeah. Pity they can't be so definite about the rain.

Rain forecast?
    Either way all outside of your control. Hope the body is feeling good and ready to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Rain forecast?

Thundstorms on all the sites I've looked at. The only thing the disagree on is when they'll arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

well then prepare yourself that they will start 5 min before you hit the top of the climb and you wont be shocked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was a wetsuit swim in the end. Good swim for Zico with an hour on the clock.

A killer bike from zico takes him from 47th in AG after the swim to 11th at T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Zico's age group is very competitive.
    Looks like he needs sub 9 (& a 2:56 marathon) to have any chance of top 3.
    Just 3 Kona slot for his age group?
    At least its raining

• Advertisement

4-5 slots likely on the 5th i would not bank on .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

at 25.2k I make he is in 5th, with 7:49 on his clock.
    3rd went through in 7:44 -Marathon pace about 3:15 and slowing.

Alan is running quicker.

i think he has a very good chance for 4th and potentially 3rd

more important i see 313 starters for 40 -44
    293 for 35-39 and 292 for 45-59
    the 5th place would depend on older male and age groupers having 1 starter given that hill in the race i would say that the older people will stay away and there migh vry well be a few roll down slots and first would go to 40-44 and likely 2nd to 35-39 if i was right with 293 vs 292 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Abhainn wrote: »
    at 25.2k I make he is in 5th, with 7:49 on his clock.
    3rd went through in 7:44 -Marathon pace about 3:15 and slowing.

Alan is running quicker.

Looks like 3rd in AG 9.02 with a 2.57 run.
    Savage going.

Congrats Zico

3rd has to do it. Congrats Alan a kona slot is the very least you deserve for all the work put in over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ha I love it knowing Zico he wont be happy at letting the sub 9 go.........the perennial search for the perfect race!

Well done Zico delighted for you

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Well done, great performance and achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I see Rob Cummins missed out on sub 10 by 22 seconds. OUCH!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

pgibbo wrote: »
    I see Rob Cummins missed out on sub 10 by 22 seconds. OUCH!

Tbh I would not say he really cares P. Id say Rob is more disappointed with his AG result than anything else. Following his blog on tri coach kudos has to go to him for laying it all out there step by step. Getting back to the sub 10;) Oliver from Primed Coaching did 929 in Barcelona last year and came 31st in his age group. Couple of weeks ago he did 10.06 in Wales and came 2nd in his age group. I know which one I'd prefer if I had to choose :)

Tbh I would not say he really cares P. Id say Rob is more disappointed with his AG result than anything else. Following his blog on tri coach kudos has to go to him for laying it all out there step by step. Getting back to the sub 10;) Oliver from Primed Coaching did 929 in Barcelona last year and came 31st in his age group. Couple of weeks ago he did 10.06 in Wales and came 2nd in his age group. I know which one I'd prefer if I had to choose :)

I hear you but it's chicken and egg. No strong sub 10 in a course like Mallorca and you're way down the AG positioning. Wales, Weymouth & Bolton are done for AG positions and KQ generally as the Europeans don't tend to race them. Most other Euro races are about times for most people & AG positioning if you're low 9s

• Advertisement

I hear you but it's chicken and egg. No strong sub 10 in a course like Mallorca and you're way down the AG positioning. Wales, Weymouth & Bolton are done for AG positions and KQ generally as the Europeans don't tend to race them. Most other Euro races are about times for most people & AG positioning if you're low 9s

No agreed Paul most people who have no realisitc hope of qualifying for kona get hung up on times and thats ok. But Rob Cummins Mallorca was about qualifying for kona so i dont think he was too bothered about missing out on sub ten. I just dont get the whole sub ten thing to tbh. There is no set time goal for any other distance tri so why Iron distance. Tis bollix imho. If your goal is sub 12 go for it, if your goal is sub 11 go for it, if your goal is sub 9 go for it. Plenty of people out there who treat sub 10 as the holy grail. They will brag i have completed 4 sub 10hr IM's......with the times right below their IM tattoo ;)

No agreed Paul most people who have no realisitc hope of qualifying for kona get hung up on times and thats ok. But Rob Cummins Mallorca was about qualifying for kona so i dont think he was too bothered about missing out on sub ten. I just dont get the whole sub ten thing to tbh. There is no set time goal for any other distance tri so why Iron distance. Tis bollix imho. If your goal is sub 12 go for it, if your goal is sub 11 go for it, if your goal is sub 9 go for it. Plenty of people out there who treat sub 10 as the holy grail. They will brag i have completed 4 sub 10hr IM's......with the times right below their IM tattoo ;)

i would say sub 10 is kind of the sub 3marathon ...
    and of course the numbers dont mean a lot but still....time and place ( places of other ahtletes compared to otehr races ) , course profile and tempertue are and good indicator of normaliced performance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I. Wales, Weymouth & Bolton are done for AG positions and KQ generally as the Europeans don't tend to race them.

tell that to guy living down here, 55 to 59 AG at weymouth, all the AG's over 55 were lumped together for KQ slots, 2 slots available, he finished 4th, top 4 was all 55 to 59, but the two lads that got the slots were europeans who came over to KQ. 3rd was a brit i believe and then the guy i know.

he's been close to that kq slot for way longer than zico and still not landed it

mossym wrote: »
    tell that to guy living down here, 55 to 59 AG at weymouth, all the AG's over 55 were lumped together for KQ slots, 2 slots available, he finished 4th, top 4 was all 55 to 59, but the two lads that got the slots were europeans who came over to KQ. 3rd was a brit i believe and then the guy i know.

he's been close to that kq slot for way longer than zico and still not landed it

Unfortunately you cannot control who shows up at a race. I just checked Bolton Weymouth and Wales there out of curiosity and in Bolton it's mainly UK podiums across the AGs. Wales & Weymount have a lot more Europeans. Maybe the later season races are beoming more appealing to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Boardcore

Bolton qualifies for Kona 2016 (same year)
    Whales and Wheymoth qualifies for Kona 2017 (Following year- get it out of the way early)

August (20th -27th) is the roll-over cut-off.
    Copenhagen-same year - following week @ Vichy is the for the subsequent year.

Unfortunately you cannot control who shows up at a race. I just checked Bolton Weymouth and Wales there out of curiosity and in Bolton it's mainly UK podiums across the AGs. Wales & Weymount have a lot more Europeans. Maybe the later season races are beoming more appealing to them?

Yes Bolton and Wales seem to be KQ races but to go just over 10 hrs in them races is great results considering the difficultly of the bike leg. I think Aileen F did around 11 hrs the yr she qualified which will give you an indication how tough the races are with the quality athlete she is

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

Just popped my cherry on IM Barcelona. Looking for another race late in 2017. How does Mallorca compare on difficulty,time, overall experience?

Also note IM haven't put date up for 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Just popped my cherry on IM Barcelona. Looking for another race late in 2017. How does Mallorca compare on difficulty,time, overall experience?

Also note IM haven't put date up for 2017

Rumour has it that it may not be returning allegedly so don't count on it.

Likely too close and taking athletes from Barcelona or vice versa.

Or just not making the money of others or as required.

Barcelona likely your only late euro IM.
    Off to the states with you otherwise for Florida, Arianna, Maryland or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

Looking on Challenges website. Amsterdam 9th September???

• Advertisement

Looking on Challenges website. Amsterdam 9th September???

I'm hoping to head over there as it falls on my birthday and I thought it'd be a pretty cool way to celebrate being officially old ;)

I'm doing Austria already, so may wait until after that to decide if I want another 8 week training block. Usually doesn't sell out but knowing my luck it will this year and I'll have to make a decision way earlier than I want to. :)

Advertisement