Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the story with allotments these days?

Options
  • 26-03-2016 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

It's been in the back of mind since I moved to Galway from the sticks a fee years ago. I have been a vegetarian for most of my life and I like gardening. Sadly I rent and don't have a garden or indoor space to grow.

I did some googling and couldn't find any information from this year so I was hoping you fine people might be able to help me out.

If theres still a long waiting list, I would be willing to split a plot with somebody aslong as we could agree on something.

Would be open to a private allotment aslong as its not too dear.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

Would be open to a private allotment aslong as its not too dear.

Thanks in advance :)

There are allotments beside Scoil Bhride, Shantalla run by the local community. They won an award recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

Hmm maybe not.
    This link and the previous one are old though. There may be some change given the national "recovery" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Slightly different but you might be interested?
    Community Gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ChaosIsOrder

Thank you for the replies, but sadly none of the above are what Im looking for.

I want a lil piece of land I can grow flowers and veg on. Surely Im not the only one? Normally allotments rise in popularity during times of economic crisis. So you'd think it would be a thing politicians talk about, especially the Greens.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and contact local politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

There are allotments in doughiska. Merlin hospital. They are administrated from city hall. I think the fella is called mcsharry who deals with them . Used to have one myself 3 years ago. There was a long waiting list but it moves rapidly as most people get Fed up quick. Contact the parts department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.galwaycity.ie/allotments/allotments-information#1
    Are allotments available through Galway City Council?

Galway City Council currently provide allotments in two locations in the city:
    Shantalla Park (West Side of City)
    Merlin Wood Doughiska (East Side of City)
    All allotments have been allocated, however Galway City Council hope to provide other locations in the future.
    New locations for allotments will be advertised on the Galway City Council website and local press.

More info
    http://galwaybiodiversity.com/galway-city-allotments-merlin-woods/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thank you for the replies, but sadly none of the above are what Im looking for.

I want a lil piece of land I can grow flowers and veg on. Surely Im not the only one? Normally allotments rise in popularity during times of economic crisis. So you'd think it would be a thing politicians talk about, especially the Greens.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and contact local politicians.

Why not just hire a piece of land privately, rather than wanting the government give you one. There must be plenty of home owners around who don't want to maintain their own gardens!

Advertisement