Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Banning. A False Economy?

Options
  • 26-03-2016 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭

Is it a bit of a false economy to permaban habitual problem posters?

From the prison (terrible name btw) threads, the admins site something along the lines of "youve become too much of a mod timesink"..
    Nine times out of ten, they'll just rereg, causing over worked mods more work.. only next time they'll be back with a chip on their shoulder..

A year ban would drive home the same message..
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Re-regs are very easy to spot, plus we have a number of tools and techniques that make detecting serial re-regers straight forward, which usually result in a straight up ban. Yeah, there are one or two loons who go to extreme lengths to avoid detection, but if their sole existence revolves around trying to avoid detection, well then they have bigger problems.

It takes, what, 10 mins to set up an account (assuming a disposably email account has already been created), it takes 14.2 seconds to siteban an account.

Yes, we've timed it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The length of the ban isn't a factor for re-regs. Even if it was only for a day or two some would re-reg anyway if they wanted to continue being a nuisance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Ten minutes. you kidding

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Re-regs are very easy to spot, plus we have a number of tools and techniques that make detecting serial re-regers straight forward, which usually result in a straight up ban. Yeah, there are one or two loons who go to extreme lengths to avoid detection, but if their sole existence revolves around trying to avoid detection, well then they have bigger problems.

It takes, what, 10 mins to set up an account (assuming a disposably email account has already been created), it takes 14.2 seconds to siteban an account.

Yes, we've timed it.

Your research is lacking, any rereg worth their salt can do it in less than a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Your research is lacking, any rereg worth their salt can do it in less than a minute.

Probably takes a bit longer if you're putting more effort into your username.

Yes, my research is lacking. Clearly I don't know how to bait re-regs.

At least I can spell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

True.

Yet one could also argue that banning someone from your site for life, while no doubt a potentially disproportionate punishment, points also to one or two potential bigger problems pertaining to the operators of the site, and those who implement the policy with resolute, and often gleeful, obedience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Thousands of members go for thousands of posts and years on the site with out as much as a warning/yellow card but those who breach the charter, get their warnings, cards and bans, always seem to blame the mods and the site. They can never own up to it. They think the problem is the mods and the site but in reality the problem is them, the poster, the one that earned that warning, card or ban.

It's hilarious to see posters in prison threads plead their innocence only for an admin to point out the 15 warnings, 12 infractions and 14 forum bans. The problem there isn't the site. Its the poster, no two ways about it.

And before anyone points out, no, of course mods aren't always right. There are often bans overturned whether by DRP or by mods themselves, but when you see a record like the above... there's no way that that many mods are wrong.

With regards to the OP. If posters break the rules enough times they get site banned. Unfortunately some will rereg but they have caused enough trouble for the site and mods, there comes a time when enough is enough. They may continue to be a timesink for mods but reregs are spotted easier than you think, sooner or later. And lets be fair here, posters are given plenty of chances. If you saw the records of some active posters you'd be wondering how the **** they're still here, I know at times I do.

Canadel wrote: »
    Yet one could also argue that banning someone from your site for life, while no doubt a potentially disproportionate punishment

Well it all depends of your definition of disproportionate, doesn't it?

A siteban can be undone in just under 2 seconds. And yes, we've timed it.
    points also to one or two potential bigger problems pertaining to the operators of the site, and those who implement the policy with resolute, and often gleeful, obedience.

First up, it's not a policy. The site doesn't operate like some corporate entity with clear, unambiguous procedures and policies for Mods/Cmods and Admins where sanctions fall into some neatly pre-defined equation.

Secondly, I'm intrigued as to the notion of obedience. To whom? Do you have visions of Dav sitting in his mist-cloaked citadel, surrounded by subservient megalomaniac Admins that seek his counsel when deciding on what punishment to mete out to wayward posters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Do you have visions of Dav sitting in his mist-cloaked citadel, surrounded by subservient megalomaniac Admins that seek his counsel when deciding on what punishment to mete out to wayward posters?

Don't ask questions you don't want to hear the answers to. :PAC: :pacman :pacman:

How the hell do you do a pacman face on touch?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Lowercase pac between colons :pac:

• Advertisement

Lowercase pac between colons :pac:

So close

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I think the whole permabanning system could do with being reviewed at Administration level at first and then some suggestions being put to the masses for a wider conversation.

Some discussions seem to me at least to have taken on a slightly echo chamber vibe in recent years for want of differing opinions.

Not really a road boards.ie should be (subconsciously) leading itself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I think the whole permabanning system could do with being reviewed at Administration level at first and then some suggestions being put to the masses for a wider conversation.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

cdeb wrote: »
    Why?
    Mainly because the system that's currently in place was drawn up for a much smaller site with fewer users and forums.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I don't see how that explains things?

Getting rid of disruptive posters encourages others to keep posting. Constantly letting them back would discourage people again.

And I'm sure there's more than a few formerly banned posters who've re-joined and stayed below the radar by copping themselves on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The prison forum is like Dilbert. Its my daily read and causes severe disappointment when there is no activity.

Do away with bannings and boards would be very boring ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Yes, we've timed it.

Do ye have any idea what the highest number of accounts one fella has created is?

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Do ye have any idea what the highest number of accounts one fella has created is?

In the thousands for one in particular. You're talking 10-15 a week on average but if there's a topic he is interested in it could be 20-30 in a day. All usualy spotted within minutes. Pulling those numbers from my arse but I'd say they're close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,085 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jesus, making 30 accounts in a day you might as well send the information to the NHS and get them some help.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    In the thousands for one in particular. You're talking 10-15 a week on average but if there's a topic he is interested in it could be 20-30 in a day. All usualy spotted within minutes. Pulling those numbers from my arse but I'd say they're close enough.

Not far off it. There are one or two particular re-regs who are well into the thousands. On Sunday alone, I banned around 30 accounts from one particular poster (see my post above about re-regs being easy to spot ;) ).
    Overheal wrote: »
    send the information to the NHS.

To the what now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

True.

Yet one could also argue that banning someone from your site for life, while no doubt a potentially disproportionate punishment, points also to one or two potential bigger problems pertaining to the operators of the site, and those who implement the policy with resolute, and often gleeful, obedience.

I'd argue that if you get yourself site banned the issue is less with the operators of the site and more your attitude to others and posting style,

I've over 23k posts and a member since 2001, from what I remember I was banned once from after hours for posting what I believed at the time to be an amusing image but the reality is it was offensive.

When I got banned I took it on the chin and knew I had stepped out of line, however some people seem to have an inability to do this and instead they live off of just stirring **** on the site....they honestly must have sad little lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Without knowing all the ins and outs there where quite a few posters site banned who I thought to be good posters/contributors, even acknowledged by mods.

weisses wrote: »
    Without knowing all the ins and outs there where quite a few posters site banned who I thought to be good posters/contributors, even acknowledged by mods.

Plenty of good posters get site banned I'm sure but you can't change the rules for someone because they're a good poster. Continue to rack up the cards and bans and eventually you'll get site banned.

Keep in mind that you won't be site banned for 3 or 4 cards and a few bans and it wouldn't be straight to a site ban either so they get plenty of warning. Unfortunately many posters don't take heed of these warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Do you have visions of Dav sitting in his mist-cloaked citadel, surrounded by subservient megalomaniac Admins that seek his counsel when deciding on what punishment to mete out to wayward posters?

JoaquinPhoenix_ThumbsDown-300x197.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

weisses wrote: »

Good posters is open to debate, I've seen many long term posters get banned because they simply refused to follow any previous warnings. Hard to know if they actually wanted to be banned...perhaps they did.

After all I do remember people previously asking to be site banned so they wouldn't use boards anymore, (prior to a/c closing being an option)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

It's a kind of disappointing to see the modding lead to a loss of some good long-term posters recently. The way the site is moderated can discourage posters and worthwhile debates (*), not just encourage constructive discussions.

Posters end up leaving over, frankly, quite trivial/petty/stupid things on the part of mod action. Mods don't seem that bothered by this either, just dismiss this as 'rare' or that 'the vast majority get on fine' - except the frequency isn't the point here, if you're getting rid of a well established poster, who has contributed a lot to discussion, then that is bad for the site.

Reregs being easy to spot doesn't seem to matter either, as they seem more than happy to go through the account creation process again and again - not much of a hindrance, when you consider that it's probably less effort to make an account, than it is to write up a single post (*looks at member post counts*).

Reregs often also come disproportionately from one side of the debate in many topics too, giving greater power over narrative-control in the forum - especially if the standards of debate can be dragged low enough, that their opponents in debate can start getting dinged with mod action every now and then. Even if over a very long period of time, this can slowly tip the narrative of discussion in the site, in the favour of these posters.

The number of times I've seen posters (including mods/cmods...) pile-on with an obvious re-reg (the usual back-patting, sharing thanks, sometimes collaborating to try and mob a poster), who is dragging the standard of a debate into the gutter...

When cmods look past a rereg, just because they are on their side of an argument, it's a bit suspect really. More than a few times, I've wondered whether the rereg is an alternate account from posters on one particular 'side' of an argument, given the very convenient timing at which they pop up.

* Please don't throw out a kneejerk and self-serving "well those discouraged are the problem posters then..." argument to this, which counts as asserting that all mod action is inherently accurate/justified.

CASE IN POINT!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057575466

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Not sure what your point is.

Contrary to some beliefs, a permanent/year/month siteban isn't always set in stone, we have the discretion to reduce depending on behaviour or the Admins' understanding that the banned user will change their disruptive behaviour. It's usually on a case by case basis.

<snip>

So you are essentially reducing Mod/Cmod/Admin action to the old tried-and-tested Them vs. Us debate, with a sprinkling of unfounded allegations of mods/cmods using their banning tools to silence posters who do not conform to their world view?

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    Not sure what your point is.

Contrary to some beliefs, a permanent/year/month siteban isn't always set in stone, we have the discretion to reduce depending on behaviour or the Admins' understanding that the banned user will change their disruptive behaviour. It's usually on a case by case basis.

My point was that permanently site banning posters is counter productive, as they'll rereg but with a chip on their shoulder. This thread popped up with is exactly what i was getting at, so linked to it as an example, nothing more.

Advertisement