Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Banning. A False Economy?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Gordon wrote: »
    A lot of people will look like they're genuine, but a lot of people will lie and tell mistruths just to get back on to the website. I'm surprised you haven't seen that on the forum you mod. Like a coin, there are three sides to every story.

Yes i understand that and have definitely seen it with constant reregs, I remember a few years ago asking you for advice on checking ip's etc. It's just strange that the admin won't give any detail at all about the users appalling record, surely they deserve that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

guil wrote: »
    Yes i understand that and have definitely seen it with constant reregs, I remember a few years ago asking you for advice on checking ip's etc. It's just strange that the admin won't give any detail at all about the users appalling record, surely they deserve that much?
    Why would we publicly state the user's whole record? The user knows what their record is like, they get enough notifications. I think we strike a good enough balance between transparency and privacy; it's not usually appropriate to state openly what users got banned for and how many times. But we will do it if we don't think they really understand how bad we think they are compared to their views on what they've done. It's not strange.

If you're need full transparency, Prison isn't there for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Gordon wrote: »
    Why would we publicly state the user's whole record? The user knows what their record is like, they get enough notifications. I think we strike a good enough balance between transparency and privacy; it's not usually appropriate to state openly what users got banned for and how many times. But we will do it if we don't think they really understand how bad we think they are compared to their views on what they've done. It's not strange.

If you're need full transparency, Prison isn't there for that.
    Back to the thread above, clearly the user doesn't realise what they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think it's inappropriate to discuss users in Prison that have no right to reply, and possibly no knowledge of a public discussion about them.

In general terms; as an onlooker, just because you think someone doesn't understand something in Prison, it doesn't mean that you're right, there could be more to the story.

OK, you think it's strange, well there's not much we can do to change your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Steve wrote: »
    Mostly, their offending posts can be found by non-mods. If they have been deleted then mostly they can't be found even by mods.

To top that off, boards is not a democracy, it is at best a privately owned benevolent dictatorship so, in fairness, love it or hate it.
    Oh, I thought mods could see deleted posts?

On the second paragraph: In theory, but in practice Boards is held accountable by its userbase - and Boards acknowledges this, through having the public DRP process and prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mods can see deleted posts, but only in forums that they currently moderate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

guil wrote: »
    Back to the thread above, clearly the user doesn't realise what they have done.
    Anyone who says "It was just light-hearted banter" is pretty much explaining what they've done.

Advertisement