Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear monopod - Accushot

Options
  • 26-03-2016 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

Anyone use the Accushot rear monopod rest, are they any good or can you recommend anything else.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

For a bit of target shooting?

The few lads i've seen with them warned me not to bother when i went to get one for the AICS. They said a back bag worked so much better for both hold and recoil management.

I always thought for a hunting rifle they might be better. No back bag so the monopod acts as a rest while aiming or a more firm grip for the non shooting hand.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Was thinking more for a hunting situation where it's not exactly practical to lug around a sand bag.

I had both in mind. For target shooting it was, apparently, a non runner.

For hunting i thought it over and figured it was not necessary. The butt hook on the stock done the same job.

Are you putting it on an AICS or another stock?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

I used to have one,its really a waste of money.
    Get a good stable rear bag instead,much better and stable platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭725b

I find it very good,don't target shoot all hunting.very stable for prone position.I personally would not change it now that I am used too it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

No its no gong on an AICS stock

725b wrote: »
    I find it very good,don't target shoot all hunting.very stable for prone position.
    How often would you actually use it though?

I rarely take lying down shots and when i do it's never on good enough ground that the rear of the stock, even on a monopod, sits on the ground. I usually have the butt of the stock held up with my non shooting hand.

I suppose it'd be better to have and not need, than need and not have, but i just don't see the use of one. Forget the target shooting thing, and forget the sand bag thing, etc. How often are you in a position to actually use it? Or is it down to each shooter?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭725b

Every time I got out.Nice high vantage hill with 360 degree view,the place was made for shooting.It is more of a controlling hold I use it for the long shots.Really like it makes the rifle sit automatically into the spot-weld when shouldering it.Makes the shot very quick & extremely accurate.I fire a magnum calibre for deer & it works for me.Took a bit of practice & dry firing but really could not do without it now.Allows you too lean that bit more on stock to maintain the sight picture on the target.Very solid ,

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

I tried one before. Couldn't get on with it. For the amount of times I lie down it wouldn't warrant the money they cost.

Advertisement