Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB meter location change

Options
  • 26-03-2016 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Well Men,
    I am building a large extension at the moment that requires the ESB meter and the main board to be moved to the other end of the house and a full rewire of the existing house.

The building contractor asked me to contact the ESB about the move and to pay the fee 440 euro.

However, the ESB are not very forthcoming as to how the process will be carried out - just ring the make a booking request when the extension is ready.

I am worried about disconnecting the old meter / circuits and then having to wait weeks form the ESB to come out to reconnect to the new board / meter.

Has anyone been through this process to offer me advice please?

We are living in the existing house throughout the build so ideally we do not want to be without electricity for more that a couple of days.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

the electrician will be able to set up a temporary supply so let him know what you want as they will need all wiring and new board in place before esb will connect to new board.

Its common enough so arrange between you, electrician and then esb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

It's really important that you arrange a site visit with Esbn before construction goes too far. Arrange for your electrical contractor to be there too. Lots of factors come into play. Underground/overhead supply etc. Pay your fee and follow up with a request asap. Esbn will be happy to consult with you and your contractor

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rambo9

Im having a similar job done. ESB have quoted €413 to move the meter from inside the hall to outside but have told me I then need a separate electrician to re connect it and then they will send out someone to verify all work and give me a cert? This seems an extremely roundabout way of doing it. Why can't they just reconnect it themselves? After all they are the ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

rambo9 wrote: »
    Im having a similar job done. ESB have quoted €413 to move the meter from inside the hall to outside but have told me I then need a separate electrician to re connect it and then they will send out someone to verify all work and give me a cert? This seems an extremely roundabout way of doing it. Why can't they just reconnect it themselves? After all they are the ESB?

You need a rec to do all the initial preparation work and install the new main cable and meter box (and dig trench if required)and provide a Cert to Esbn. Only then will the Esbn move your meter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

rambo9 wrote: »
    Why can't they just reconnect it themselves?
    Because they wish to avoid issues of liability for the condition of the existing wiring if they were to energise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

meercat wrote: »
    You need a rec to do all the initial preparation work and install the new main cable and meter box (and dig trench if required)and provide a Cert to Esbn. Only then will the Esbn move your meter

its that we decided to leave the meter where it is
    A waste of money moving it outside and who is benefitting of it
    Not me ESB only , so if they want the meter outside go ahead with it but on their own costs not mine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement