Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

air gun pistol

Options
  • 26-03-2016 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

hi,

I'm wondering can anyone tell me about air pistols ? were can i buy one or get one or has anyone got one for sale?

i don't mean air soft pistol with the plastic bbs, i mean the co2 steel pellet ones ?

if anyone has one for sale or knows were i could get one please let me know

thanks
    alex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I could be wrong, but i'm almost certain that these are classes as firearms and so would require a firearms license. Furthermore, it is also a pistol and so could only be used at an authorised range and not for hunting and shooting birds from your bedroom window for example.

This would mean you would have to do the following:

1) Put a deposit on a pistol.
    2) Complete a firearms competency course (not required by law, but seems to be necessary in most cases, unless you can prove your competent with a firearm, or someone vouches for this who has competency.
    3) Complete an FCA1 and submit to the local Firearms Officer.
    4) Either have a gun safe, or storage sorted at an authorised range.

A BB pistol is the only thing you would get away with off the range if a pistol is what you want. Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Seller159 wrote: »
    I'm wondering can anyone tell me about air pistols ?
    They are a firearm under law. So as said above you need a firearms license for one.
    were can i buy one or get one or has anyone got one for sale?
    Pistols in general are not an item you would see most dealers, or even a lot, stocking. Air pistols even less so. You would be best served visiting a few ranges that cater to air pistols and checking things out. Variety, price and of course availability. Most likely you may have to import one.
    i don't mean air soft pistol with the plastic bbs, i mean the co2 steel pellet ones ?
    Even an airsoft with a muzzle energy of 1 joule or higher is classed as a firearm. Most airsofts claim to be below this limit (debate for another day) but even then you must be over 16 to own one and of course the same rules apply as with a real firearm in terms of carrying one in public, brandishing, etc. My replies above relate more so to actual air pistols than BBs, but in effect the rules hold true for CO2 pistols if they're muzzle energy is above 1 joule.
    if anyone has one for sale or knows were i could get one please let me know
    For airpistols you might be better off visiting a range as said above. For the CO2 you mention then most airsoft shops have them. Check out the airsoft forum for that stuff.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

thanks for your reply .

i thought someone might say that there not aloud but i was thinking there the same as co2 air soft gun just they fire steel bbs so why not be aloud buy one here just like an air soft pistol ? so thats why i was just asking about it .

yeah i do have a lot of airsoft guns and some do and can fire steel or lead pellets which i know isn't aloud of course, but i thought maybe i could buy an air pistol here in ireland some were that shoots the steel bbs. i only use my airsoft guns for target practice .

what about air rifles you can buy them here online there more than 1 joule so i thought why not a pistol ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

yeah i do have a lot of airsoft guns and some do and can fire steel or lead pellets which i know isn't aloud of course, but i thought maybe i could buy an air pistol here in ireland some were that shoots the steel bbs. i only use my airsoft guns for target practice .

what about air rifles you can buy them here online there more than 1 joule so i thought why not a pistol ?

Same process, only they can also be used for hunting if you are granted this on your license.

Firing guns of any kind as target practice outside of a range if over 1 joule is illegal. Nail guns excluded for their intended use of course :D

• Advertisement

yeah i do have a lot of airsoft guns and some do and can fire steel or lead pellets which i know isn't aloud of course,
    Not sure this is the kind of thing you shouldd be admitting to.
    but i thought maybe i could buy an air pistol here in ireland some were that shoots the steel bbs. i only use my airsoft guns for target practice .
    Are you a member of a range?, because you can only target shoot on a range with anything that falls into the firearm classification. There is a difference between airsoft, BB guns, and air guns. Airsoft (under 1 joule) requrie NO firearms license. BBs (over 1 joule and using metal/lead projectiles) do as do air guns (pistols or rifles).
    Again it's important to distinguish between what exactly you mean by air rifle.

A rifle that fires a spherical plastic projectile at low velocity is an airsoft. A BB that fires a metal/lead projectile as high velocity is a firearm. An air rifle like the ones used in the Olympics/hunting that use either .177 or .22 pellets is a firearm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

ye i understand all that about air soft ect. all air soft guns can fire steel bbs once you get the right size everyone knows that lol not saying i do it because i don't i only use plastic around the garden so don't damage anything . but i was wondering can the steel co2 air pistols be bought here and if so would i need some sort or licence permit ect to own and use one ?

thanks

The topic of airsoft is a little outside my wheelhouse, and as the discussion is about airsoft i'm moving the thread to the airsoft forum.

The folks over there will know more and be better able to help you out.

no i know about airsoft iv been doing it along time , I wasnt talking about airsoft guns. its ok now anyway you can close this as i found out what i wanted to know thanks all for your help and info cheers

I've moved the thread to airsoft now.

You have two scenarios. Either you are discussing airsoft and it belongs here where the people can help you. If you are talking about real guns then it's shooting in which case the info i gave above about requiring a firearms license still stands.

Lastly threads don't get closed unless a Moderator deems it necessary (rule violation, etc). It's so others can discuss the same topic even if you are finished.

• Advertisement

ah ok no problem well thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Back to shooting.........against our charter to discuss this as it refers to firearms....even if the gun is under 1J. Using steel ball bearing makes it unlawful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Dogwatch wrote: »
    Back to shooting.........against our charter to discuss this as it refers to firearms....even if the gun is under 1J. Using steel ball bearing makes it unlawful.

?

No it doesn't...if the gun is under 1 joule it's under 1 joule, whether you put plastic bb's in it or steel makes no difference.

Right, i'll put this to bed.

Airsoft, regardless of whether it fires a plastic or steel projectile, is anything under 1 joule. It's not a firearm therefore no license.

Firearm, regardless of the material of the projectile, is anything that fires a projectile in excess of 1 joule. Its a firearm and NEEDs to be licensed.

For example my Sig fires a 9 mm bullet. It's a pistol, a firearm, and needs a license. My Nephews airsoft fires plastic balls and is under 1 joule. It's a toy.

So pick which category the thing you are looking at falls into and that is it.

As i've said above my knowledge of airsoft is limited so the issue around the projectile material is not one i'm familiar with. I stick to the 1 joule rule and that is all i need to know.

Also the law is an ass. The fact that a toy can be put into the same category as a real gun is laughable. The law says a piantball gun is legally a restricted short firearm. As they cannot be licensed since 2008 you have to wonder how many illegally held restricted short firearms are out there because of this law. Which then begs the question of are all airsoft actually tested? I've seen the same one on sale here claiming to be under 1 joule. In the rest of the sane world it's markedly more than 1 joule but thy don't count toys as being real guns so its not an issue.

ok its ok now anyway iv found out what i need to know thanks a lot

What did you decide/find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sounds like .177 calibre airgun vs the standard 6mm (plastic or glass for target bbs ) green gas or co2 pistols we use for airsoft

If that is the case then:
    Cass wrote: »
    They are a firearm under law. So as said above you need a firearms license for one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement