Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safari won't open some links iOS 9.3 on iPhone 6

Options
  • 26-03-2016 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

It seems Apple have managed to break Safari on iPhone 6 in iOS 9.3.

Loads of links won't open and Safari goes unresponsive of you tap and hold them.

I've tried all the usual things to reset everything but to no avail. Seems lots of people are having the same issue.

I'm getting a bit disappointed with Apple releasing buggy updates. This isn't the first time and they seem to be becoming very sloppy.

They've only a handful of iOS devices and not finding this in beta testing is fairly inexcusable. Googling around it looks like people were reporting it in her public betas too.

It's crazy that I'm probably not going to accept future updates from apple until I know they're stable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Have you cleared history and website data? I had something similar using boards after I updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Cleared everything and restarted phone several times. People on forums reporting that they've reinstalled iOS and that hasn't helped. So, I'm not wasting my time doing that.

It's also impacting other browsers as they're only shells over WebKit on iOS anyway as they don't allow alternate rendering engines for some bizarre reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No problems here.

From the sounds of it you may need to set up as a new phone (sync with iCloud but don't restore the backup - it's a hassle and you will lose some stuff but these issues are carried over in the backup). Or you can wait for a fix, but if it's only a small number of users with incompatible backups, you might be waiting a while if not forever.

We're getting to the point with iOS where "clean installs" for major OS updates are a probably a good idea. My mother had a problem with her phone app freezing in earlier versions of iOS 9. I restored from backup several times, even restored onto a different iPhone, but the problem remained. Only setting it up as a new phone fixed it.

Think I'll just wait and see and use my android in the meantime.

iPhone 6 will be going into the drawer. Couldn't be bothered going through all that hassle today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Fine on my 6s

• Advertisement

It's possibly only impacting the iPhone 6

Apple are increasingly putting out dodgy builds though. There was an issue with OS X not so long ago too. I'm beginning to wonder is this the beginning off the post-Jobsian slide of quality.

They used to be all about attention to detail and solid software.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

12Phase wrote: »

Apple are increasingly putting out dodgy builds though. There was an issue with OS X not so long ago too. I'm beginning to wonder is this the beginning off the post-Jobsian slide of quality.

There is a slide in software quality (though not hardware which has improved massively), but it began under Jobs and he is the reason it continues. Jobs ran Apple like a startup, moving engineers around as needed, resulting in Apple's drive-by approach to software development. This was all fine when Apple was small but became a problem as they grew. Unfortunately Apple doesn't know any other way to work. Cook is more likely to change this (unlike Jobs, he listens), but it will take time.

I would expect to see improvements over the next couple of years. In fact, I'd consider 9.3 an improvement in many respects, directly addressing many issues with iOS 9 that users would usually be left waiting until iOS 10 for. Your issue, while very annoying as I know from my own experiences, is mostly down to doing an upgrade of an upgrade of an upgrade. It's a problem on desktops as well and it was inevitably going to become a problem on iOS, especially once OTA updates of dot-oh releases became a thing.

They used to be all about attention to detail and solid software.
    I have an iPhone 6 and no problems since clearing history.

I've cleared everything and rebooted several time.
    Disabled and re started all the safari options etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

I've an iPhone 6 and am having the exact same problem today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Having the same problem here, iPhone 6S. Its was fine after the upgrade but just started doing it this morning. Not at all pleased.

Quite a few threads on this now, so seems to be affecting quite a lot of people.

Fingers crossed it will be fixed soon as I cannot be arsed doing a fresh install!

I'm in touch with AppleCare on Twitter at the moment - support session going on very slowly via DM.

I just got this back:

"Thank you for providing us with those details. We’ve heard reports of the issue and it’s currently under review. We don’t have a solution at this time but we’d like to get your case to a Senior Advisor so they can collect some data to assist with the investigation..."

(They took some basic details already).

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

6s here and having same problems. Cannot open links from fb, email or safari - everything stalls and have to do a manual reset

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I phone 5c here and have the same problem. Very disappointing so hopefully something will be done about it.

I'm going to reset the phone entirely

Full wipe and reset from backup in progress. Hopefully that solves it.
    Absolute pain in the ... though.

That didn't work and all of my apps are now greyed out!

Android here I come. FFS this is ridiculous.

Phone is basically unusable without a browser too.

I'm going to try erasing and reinstalling as a new iPhone which is an absolute pain in the ....

That fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Same here on 6s + , latest iOS and only since this morning

I'm going to reset the phone entirely

Full wipe and reset from backup in progress. Hopefully that solves it.
    Absolute pain in the ... though.

There's no point in restoring from backup as the problem will more than likely be still there. Restore as a new phone and all you will lose is text and call history. Everything else will be there provided you have everything set to sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

People are now reporting that the 9.3 update has been pulled but it seems to be not solely associated with 9.3...the plot thickens! Hope theres a fix soon, just in the airport there and eyeing up the Samsung S7! :P

• Advertisement

Meh, they're all as bad.

I had a Samsung and you'd be waiting months and years for updates as it could take forever to get the android updates through Samsung and then through 3.

It's working after an "install as new iPhone"

Meh, they're all as bad.

I had a Samsung and you'd be waiting months and years for updates as it could take forever to get the android updates through Samsung and then through 3.

It's working after an "install as new iPhone"
    Good to hear, out of curiosity what version was it on before you updated?

Previous version. 9.2.

I tend to keep it bang up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I'm having the same problem on an iPad Air 2. Software updates have been a pain in the asś since iOS 7 there seems to be countless problems with nearly every release.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Same here with the 6 after the update last night. Any updates? Where do you start to complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Just to add also had some problems today with Safari pages not opening.

Seems it could be a rogue app.

From Apple :

"Glad to hear you were able to get it working after the restore. We understand the need to have those apps that you rely on back onto your iPhone. We suggest adding in an app one at a time, and then verifying that the links still work. Continue to do that until you encounter any issues or until you have the apps that you need. If you run into any other problems, feel free to message us again."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

A rogue app?

My whole phone is going slow now and it's very new. Am with Eir.

Update any apps recently ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

This is what I get when I try to install 9.3 on a 5s. TBH I couldn't be arsed trying to fix it.

Advertisement