Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato Sauce using fresh tomatoes

Options
  • 26-03-2016 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I have 4 medium sized tomatoes do you think I can make a fresh pasta sauce from these? if so any recipes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Yes, pop them in a blender or food processor and whizz them up with some salt, pepper, a pinch of sugar, a dash of olive oil and herbs of your choice e.g. basil, oregano etc. You can also add tinned tomatoes, a drop of red wine or vinegar, tomato puree, anchovies, pine nuts etc. etc.

The sauce will be a pale red colour compared to the likes of Dolmio, but it's delicious and a good way to use up over-ripe tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

de-skin and de-seed them first. (google how to do this). The seeds are bitter so need to go and the skin is not pleasant to eat in the sauce.

Once you do this then chop up and cook with onions, garlic, olive oil and white wine and season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Yes, pop them in a blender or food processor and whizz them up with some salt, pepper, a pinch of sugar, a dash of olive oil and herbs of your choice e.g. basil, oregano etc. You can also add tinned tomatoes, a drop of red wine or vinegar, tomato puree, anchovies, pine nuts etc. etc.

The sauce will be a pale red colour compared to the likes of Dolmio, but it's delicious and a good way to use up over-ripe tomatoes.

I don't have a blender, can I still make the sauce?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You should be able to. you can crush the tomatos with a masher or your hands until they're the consitency you like. Do deskin them if you're not blitzing them, the skins are bleh to eat if they're not shredded smaller than you can see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Tree wrote: »
    You should be able to. you can crush the tomatos with a masher or your hands until they're the consitency you like. Do deskin them if you're not blitzing them, the skins are bleh to eat if they're not shredded smaller than you can see

Should I just put them in boiling water to doeskin?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

As BailMeOut recommends, hit your favourite search engine. In summary, I usally put a light cross in the bottom of the tomato, drop into boiling water for a few seconds, then dump into cold water, then peel.

Advertisement