Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic getting crazy?

• 26-03-2016 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is traffic getting rapidly worse around town? Today is a particular disaster, made worse by huge amounts of illegal parking on double yellow lines making some of the streets one lane.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Is it just me or is traffic getting rapidly worse around town? Today is a particular disaster, made worse by huge amounts of illegal parking on double yellow lines making some of the streets one lane.

I think it has definitely gotten worse in the past 6-12 months or so. As well as the city centre, the suburbs have become busier.

I live in Caherdavin and I notice it is harder and harder to exit onto Brookville Ave. from Caherdavin and the congestion around the Ivan's cross - LIDL - Jetland area is very bad every day now, whereas it used to be reasonably quiet on certain days. Some afternoons there's a backlog from LIDL back to the Woodfield House Hotel.

Also the Sunday traffic is now almost as bad as on weekdays.

The city centre is getting more congested and as the op says, illegal parking is rampant everywhere - mainly due to minimal enforcement from Gardai/ traffic wardens. Best avoided if possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Went to dealz yesterday round 5 the illegal parking was crazy from the tarffic lights up as far as dealz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

William street is a disaster for illegal parking and it becomes an obstacle course outside the discount shops where lazy ignorant drivers just abandon their cars blocking either or both lanes adding to it. The loading bays on that street also should only be in force outside of normal business hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Have to say it's blissful to be living and working in the city centre and not having to deal with traffic. I get around mostly by bike or foot and really only need the car when getting out of town sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Has William St not been declared a car park yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

People double park on William St?
    How come it's never been mentioned here before..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Treepole wrote: »
    People double park on William St?
    How come it's never been mentioned here before..............

Ever since they made the wide footpaths on William street it has become a death trap with people parking in the lane on the right hand side of the road complete joke avoid the road at all costs as a result and now they plan on pedestrianizing o O'Connell street will become a bottleneck they need to build a ring road first then do whatever they want in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Also probably seemed worse today as it was the first bit if bad weather in a while so people probably used the car instead of walking etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

steveon wrote: »
    Ever since they made the wide footpaths on William street it has become a death trap with people parking in the lane on the right hand side of the road complete joke avoid the road at all costs as a result and now they plan on pedestrianizing o O'Connell street will become a bottleneck they need to build a ring road first then do whatever they want in the city.
    They should just tow the cars parked there. People would soon learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

They should just tow the cars parked there. People would soon learn.

totally agree but some are doing deliveries as all the loading bays are constantly filled with cars, they should simply remove the stupid footpaths that do not and never will need to be that wide in the first place and put back the parking bays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I assume these things are relative and ye may have noticed a deterioration lately, can't say I have on my commutes, anyway traffic is one problem that is not particularly an issue in Limerick compared to every other city or large town in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I wouldn't say the traffic is out of control but the parking certainly is. I regularly walk around the city with wheelchair users and the amount of times we have to go out on to the road because cars are parked on the pavement is unbelievable. I say I spend most of my time walking on the road in Limerick than I do pavements, due to amount of cars parked all over them. Do drivers in Limerick know that pavements are for pedestrians and not for parking?

I go running down Nicholas Street most mornings and have given up running on the pavement as there are so many vehicles parked on them so I run in the middle of the road. Likewise, the South Circular road pavements are a no go area weekday mornings and afternoon with cars parked on top of them. Similar story with mass-goers to the Redemptorist on a Sunday. O'Callaghan Strand is often littered with cars parked on the the pavement. It really does indicate a complete disregard for footpath users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

panda100 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say the traffic is out of control but the parking certainly is. I regularly walk around the city with wheelchair users and the amount of times we have to go out on to the road because cars are parked on the pavement is unbelievable. I say I spend most of my time walking on the road in Limerick than I do pavements, due to amount of cars parked all over them. Do drivers in Limerick know that pavements are for pedestrians and not for parking?

I go running down Nicholas Street most mornings and have given up running on the pavement as there are so many vehicles parked on them so I run in the middle of the road. Likewise, the South Circular road pavements are a no go area weekday mornings and afternoon with cars parked on top of them. Similar story with mass-goers to the Redemptorist on a Sunday. O'Callaghan Strand is often littered with cars parked on the the pavement. It really does indicate a complete disregard for footpath users.
    Those wheelchairs scrape up paintwork like nobodies business when trying to squeeze past a pavement car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Superb pavement parking on Clancy Strand this evening. Parking towards the river up on top of the pavement.

20160330_195428_zps08z3mupn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's a chronic problem there in the evenings, and it's pretty much the gym goers who are parking illegally. The council should really have wardens working in the evenings to put a stop to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

panda100 wrote: »
    Superb pavement parking on Clancy Strand this evening. Parking towards the river up on top of the pavement.

20160330_195428_zps08z3mupn.jpg

Thats O Callaghan Strand

Advertisement