Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend & fit OEM satnav for W211 e-class

• 26-03-2016 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭

I have an 09 e-class, W211 model code

It comes with this stereo, which I think is an APS 20, which has a CD slot, and a multi-CD stack which sits further down the console.

W211-NTG1-Audio-20-CD.jpg

I'd like to replace this headunit with a satnav system, without upsetting the MB phone (bluetooth), steering wheel controls, and especially the parking sensors.

I'd prefer to use an MB / OEM headunit, depending on the price to source & fit.

I did look at sourcing an android unit, and doing the work myself, but I soon realised this is NOT a job for the casual DIY-er.

So, fellow Boardsies ... please recommend somewhere in or near Dublin where I can get my W211 satnav questions answered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bmstuff on here would be the man to talk to.

the nav head unit may require a boot based nav module / radio module / other needlessly expensive boxes. Im sure bm can answer your queries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

Hi
    The factory navigation unit fitted to the late 211 is called Comand APS NGT 2.5,its a DVD based headunit with an internal hard drive.

There a great system with built in phone,the original CD changer in the dash may not work with the newer head unit.

Fitting is vary easy, although some second hand units will need a security pin unpon fitting to a different car and coding will need doing to your car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Thanks for the replies

I think I'd prefer a self-contained head unit ... if the new head unit can play MP3 CD's ... I'll get over using the CD changer

Searching for Comand APS NGT 2.5 for W211 returns many hits ... pricey :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

Yea the Comand 2.5 will play MP3 there is an Aux input, reversing camera input and a SD memory card slot

They are pricey, and if buying second hand make sure to get the pin code and an assurence that its not stolen, when SCN coding is performed the serial number from the new head unit is needed and a stolen head unit may be logged on the MB data base

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Later E-Class's had the much cheaper than COMMAND option of a Becker Map Pilot (became a Garmin Map Pilot just before they stopped building them).

http://www.mercedes-benz.ie/content/ireland/mpc/mpc_ireland_website/enng/home_mpc/passengercars/home/servicesandaccessories/accessories/models/c-class_coupe/map_pilot.html
    (that's for C-Class, but the option was there with CD20 on the E-Class)

Says it's compatible with the CD20, but I think you need "pre installation for Becker Map Pilot" before you can just add the Becker Box. Not sure if that means a new head unit with the box, whether the installation bits can be retro fitted, or whether it just can't be done.

Did try to get Nav retrofitted by a Merc dealer (checked with 2)in to a recent CLA, and that wasn't possible, so there may not be a reasonable OEM solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement