Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this laptop good value for money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's good value, the i3 version is a good bit cheaper and performance is very similar. They're both dual core, just the i5 has turbo boost to allow it perform faster for 'bursts' if under strain. Their base speeds are more or less the same and you won't see any difference in normal desktop use - movies, browsing, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,348 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

It's good value, the i3 version is a good bit cheaper and performance is very similar. They're both dual core, just the i5 has turbo boost to allow it perform faster for 'bursts' if under strain. Their base speeds are more or less the same and you won't see any difference in normal desktop use - movies, browsing, etc.

it'd be good if you could personalise on dabs. the i3 is only offered with windows 10 which i dont want. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

it'd be good if you could personalise on dabs. the i3 is only offered with windows 10 which i dont want. :p

There's no big difference operationally wise between 10 and 7. I made the switch recently and have no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Looking at this but was thinking of swapping the 4gb ram to 2x8gb. Any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

SSDs do use less power, but I doubt many overheating laptops would be caused by not having one. More likely not having the fluff cleaned out and being used on laps or sat on beds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

https://www.dabs.ie/products/lenovo-b51-80-intel-core-i5-6200u-4gb-128gb-15-6--windows-7-professional-64-bit-80lm000duk-BWP0.html

will be for browsing internet, streaming, etc. all previous laptops have overheated, which is why I want to go with a SSD this time.

Thanks

Did you go with this in the end?

darkskol wrote: »
    Did you go with this in the end?

havent committed yet. have work off tomorrow so will do some more shopping around.
    will update tomorrow afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Dabs.ie appear to be gone now. They are closed for business in the Republic of Ireland.

Dabs.ie appear to be gone now. They are closed for business in the Republic of Ireland.

just saw that there :(. anyone know other good websites to order laptops from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

elara.ie
    laptopsdirect.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

just saw that there :(. anyone know other good websites to order laptops from?

They've been taken over by BT (at least dabs4work anyway).

http://www.businessdirect.btireland.com/category/computing,laptops-and-tablets,laptops/11105-50600

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    SSDs do use less power, but I doubt many overheating laptops would be caused by not having one. More likely not having the fluff cleaned out and being used on laps or sat on beds.

After dabs went, I decided to get the fan/heat sink cleaned. was pretty cheap so was willing to risk it. turns out it was completely clogged with fluff :p Now though its as good as new :)

Advertisement