Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Value 980ti for a new VR build?

Options
  • 26-03-2016 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭

I'd outlined in another thread that only in a particular circumstance was I going to get a 980ti right now for my VR build. Well, the more I read about Pascal and Polaris, the more I think the initial cards are not going to live up to peoples overhyped expectations until the big chip versions come out in 2017. It also sounds like even the cards coming this Summer will be towards the end of the Summer rather than the beginning.

I simply don't want to wait that long to play near maxed out Project Cars and Elite Dangerous in VR, so have decided to spring for a 980ti right now and upgrade to a 1080ti next year.

I am purchasing most of my components from Amazon because of their aftersales service, I've read too many horror stories about dealing with the German vendors if something goes wrong. However, GPU's are where Amazon pricing really diverges too much. So I am happy to purchase this one part of the build elsewhere.

So who sells and what is the cheapest 980ti at the moment and/or the best price/performance version of the 980ti?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

The best value 980ti is probably the one Terror has on adverts.
    Haggle price a bit, he probably (?) has it set to €699 for the "Swap for 3 x Cornetto and a barely-used Fleshlight?" crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Apart from what grindle said.

Last thing you wanna do is be aware of the problems with ordering off the german places regards after carw and get your most expensive part then from them????? Facking logic.

Most regular gtx980ti are around €700. this is on all sites amazon /german ones.

Terrors I believe is new enough has warranty from overclockers.. So that or amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As a rule, I never mention stuff I have for sale on adverts as it's not really fair to mix sales forums with the building and upgrading forum. It is a three week old 980Ti, and yes, it's priced that way to stop ridiculous offers - already got one for a PC earlier, asking me to swap for a PS4, with no controller, no games, a replaced disc drive, and body damage. That is what you're up against on adverts, and frequently I have to take a deep breath and take a break before replying to the ongoing liquid diarrohea that frequents my ads. However in this case i think I have a swap with cash for a Fury sorted to go with my new freesync monitor. :D

As a rule, I never mention stuff I have for sale on adverts as it's not really fair to mix sales forums with the building and upgrading forum. It is a three week old 980Ti, and yes, it's priced that way to stop ridiculous offers - already got one for a PC earlier, asking me to swap for a PS4, with no controller, no games, a replaced disc drive, and body damage. That is what you're up against on adverts, and frequently I have to take a deep breath and take a break before replying to the ongoing liquid diarrohea that frequents my ads. However in this case i think I have a swap with cash for a Fury sorted to go with my new freesync monitor. :D

Soz for off t. Let us know how the freesync goes terror. On g sync at moment but might jump amd next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Apart from what grindle said.

Last thing you wanna do is be aware of the problems with ordering off the german places regards after carw and get your most expensive part then from them????? Facking logic.

Most regular gtx980ti are around €700. this is on all sites amazon /german ones.

Terrors I believe is new enough has warranty from overclockers.. So that or amazon.

Ordering all my parts from the likes of Mindfactory increases the odds of one of those parts being a dud and my having to possibly endure the poor aftersales/returns. Ordering all bar one of my parts from a 'safe' vendor wrt returns and only ordering one part from the likes of Mindfactory greatly reduces the risk.....Facking Logic!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

OCUK usually have decent offers on cards at any given time, and something you can't quite put a price on, their customer service is exceptionally good - they even have a dedicated section on their busy forums devoted to after sales.

They get my thumbs up, have ordered from them a few times now and I've been incredibly impressed by the personal touch they add to the service.

Calibos wrote: »
    Ordering all my parts from the likes of Mindfactory increases the odds of one of those parts being a dud and my having to possibly endure the poor aftersales/returns. Ordering all bar one of my parts from a 'safe' vendor wrt returns and only ordering one part from the likes of Mindfactory greatly reduces the risk.....Facking Logic!! :rolleyes:

It really does not. A bad part is a bad part. can happen ordering just one or not in a hundred...

So what you are saying is odds are.... What I'm saying is.. **** happens. Your 700 euro gpu should be top of the list of not wanting **** to happen with. And if it does you be glad it was from amazon.

Have you got your eye on one on a german site with savings that are worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

OCUK usually have decent offers on cards at any given time, and something you can't quite put a price on, their customer service is exceptionally good - they even have a dedicated section on their busy forums devoted to after sales.

And the sweets, don't forget the sweets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I bought my 980 ti from evga.

Fast delivery and some nice options available.

http://eu.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+900+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+980+Ti

superg wrote: »
    And the sweets, don't forget the sweets :D

Many a time I have awaited a 2k delivery on a Friday and anxiously torn open the package in search of the packet of Haribo that is probably worth about 10c.

It's the little things...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I got mine from amazon warehouse deals. For 470e. An Asus strip that was opened. I also reported a screw missing on the backplate and that the code for a free game was missing. I got a partial refund of 201 euros......Some deal. Card works great Asus strix 6gb oc. Keep your eye on amazon warehouse. There's some great deals there sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just read that nVidia have stopped supplying 980ti chips to card manufacturers. Prices for existing stock will likely go up won't it. Or if it goes down its a sign that comparable variant of Pascal is imminent and they want to clear out stock. Goes up if the replacement is not imminent to catch the last SLI'ers of that generation.

With the Rift shipping delays, it puts me closer to a time when we have more solid info on Pascal, so I guess I'm back to waiting to see before making any purchase decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sneak

Just wondering have any of you guys used aria.co.uk for components, seems to be good value.

Advertisement