Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog freaks when doorbell rings

• 26-03-2016 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, read here the whole.time but never really post but said I'd come on for some.of yer advice..
    we have a very nervous dog hates strange men shakes if their in the house and just barks, she's a rescue dog and we've had her a few years now great dog but definitley badly abused previously.. the pribkem is she absolutely loses it when the doorbell rings.. if it rings and you go to walk out the sitting room door she runs up and is just out of control.. the other day she nipped my mother on the back of the leg as she went out the sitting room door to get to the front door..it's our own fault it started at the start Barking and has got progressively worst over time and probably a case of us picking her up and trying to comfort her when its done and hence reinforcing the behaviour but its only got to the the complete freaking out stage the last couple.of months...

its usually my mam just here with her during the day so shed just try pick her up or get out the door in front of her this is how she got bit getting in front of the dog and dog going for the door then .

today I've started to try train her, she is a smart dog as in she does pick things up fast.. so what I've been doing this morning is ringing the doorbell have treat in hand so get her attention once she starts freaking at the bell,get her attebtion with treat and bring her to sit and stay on her blanket open sitting room door and give her treat once she's stayed and then close door and go and open front there.. is that an OK method??? She's still Barking after I leave the room but to be honest my main concern is to stop her going for the sitting room door once the door bell rings.. am I right in thinking that sorting that first is best and then maybe over time work on having her stay on her blanket until I'm back in from the front door after answering and work on the Barking in general... does the method I'm using sound OK, don't want to be doing anything to confuse the dog as well like..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

This might give you some ideas, even if you don't have the specific Treat Train machine:
    https://drsophiayin.com/videos/entry/treat_train_overview/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

Using a similar type of training with my guy, has improved massively in the last 4 months. Still a little barking, but getting better.

We use small tins with food to distract him (they make a lot of noise) and then send him to bed. we answer the door. we then reward pup with some food after returning, and, if someone has come in, invite him to say hello.

To stop the barking, you have to work on a quiet word anyway, and work that into this routine afaik. Its what were doing with some good results.

only doesnt really work when his granparents come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Using a similar type of training with my guy, has improved massively in the last 4 months. Still a little barking, but getting better.

We use small tins with food to distract him (they make a lot of noise) and then send him to bed. we answer the door. we then reward pup with some food after returning, and, if someone has come in, invite him to say hello.

To stop the barking, you have to work on a quiet word anyway, and work that into this routine afaik. Its what were doing with some good results.

only doesnt really work when his granparents come in.

Thanks, she's been showing signs of improvement this week, obviously still a lot of work to do but it's at least its satisfying when you see it working.. think I might get one of those clicker things, reading up online they seem good.. there was no going for legs this week which is great anyway, just terrified that she'd end up doing that to someone else..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Get rid of the doorbell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

It's the knocker as well... I think she knows someone's at the door and freaks.. we got a new doorbell which she didn't react to for a day or two but as soon as she associated the noise meaning someone was at the door she started freaking again... also scrap my great clicker idea she's terrified of the noise..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Harpy wrote: »
    It's the knocker as well... I think she knows someone's at the door and freaks.. we got a new doorbell which she didn't react to for a day or two but as soon as she associated the noise meaning someone was at the door she started freaking again... also scrap my great clicker idea she's terrified of the noise..

You can use a word instead of the clicker like yes good etc etc :)

We go to a training centre every now and again for workshops etc that have a doorbell for their shop .. Bailey will bark if the bell rings even though we don't have one ourselves lol! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Harpy wrote: »
    also scrap my great clicker idea she's terrified of the noise..

You can use a clicky pen instead, just to get her used to click noise = treat. It's a much softer noise.
    Make sure not to point the clicker (or pen) at her, keep it behind your back when you click it, and keep it all nice and calm :)

Advertisement