Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I ate meat past its Use by date

Options
  • 26-03-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

And I didn't get sick or die. It was a fillet steak, vacuum sealed was about 3 days past the "Use By". It was an expensive steak and I didn't want it to go to waste. I smelled it before cooking and it smelled like raw meat. Cooked it to medium rare and ate it... Delicious.

This is the first time I have ever eaten something that has "expired" but got me thinking how much good food i've probably tossed out over the years because a number on the packet said I shouldn't eat it...

I think as long as something doesn't smell funky and is visibly normal it's probably fine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Xcellor wrote: »
    And I didn't get sick or die. It was a fillet steak, vacuum sealed was about 3 days past the "Use By". It was an expensive steak and I didn't want it to go to waste. I smelled it before cooking and it smelled like raw meat. Cooked it to medium rare and ate it... Delicious.

This is the first time I have ever eaten something that has "expired" but got me thinking how much good food i've probably tossed out over the years because a number on the packet said I shouldn't eat it...

I think as long as something doesn't smell funky and is visibly normal it's probably fine.

A lad in school with me did that... Maggots grew in his tummy and ate their way out... He had to have a bag from then on. Also his knob turned black and fell off... But that was from reheating some rice from the Chinese!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah I often eat food past the sell by date.

Cheese I cut the mould off and it's fine.

Vegetables are mostly fine

Eggs I've eaten upto a month after date

Meat and Fish is dodgy. I would generally go a day or two past the date. If it smells or the colour is off I wouldn't

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A lad in school with me did that... Maggots grew in his tummy and ate their way out... He had to have a bag from then on. Also his knob turned black and fell off... But that was from reheating some rice from the Chinese!

Cooked rice is supposed to be really bad for breeding bacteria

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

So they say but I've reheated rice dishes like paella & jambalaya after a few days in the fridge plenty of times & never had any trouble. Same with portions of pilau rice from Indian places. Either my immune system is incredibly robust or there's a lot of scare mongering about this kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Most red meat is perfectly fine after the use by date, it has been 'wet aged' so you're literally just aging it a little more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

It depends on what rice they use. If the rice is parboiled by the manufacturer it is safe to reheat. However if it's not parboiled there is a chance that the Bacillus cereus bacteria can grow on it and cause food poisoning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: This thread violates our food safety rule. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement