Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SpeedX Leopard [Kickstarter Bike]

Options
  • 26-03-2016 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Is it compatible with strava? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Looks sweet. I'd be interested.

What's the risk with a kickstarter? If they dont deliver do you get your money back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

godtabh wrote: »

What's the risk with a kickstarter? If they dont deliver do you get your money back?

I'm not sure but I do remember a case of a writer getting funding to self publish a book and there being serious problem with people getting their books because he was too lazy to post them all.

As an aside, could one use Bike to work for kickstarter?

Mine available again next week....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It could be absolutely rubbish , they've only built 12 prototypes. They have zero experience mass producing bikes. The risk of kick starters is that you get junk and have zero come back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ted1 wrote: »
    It could be absolutely rubbish , they've only built 12 prototypes. They have zero experience mass producing bikes. The risk of kick starters is that you get junk and have zero come back

They aren't mass producing bikes. They are outsourcing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I've backed I think 4/5 projects to date and never had a problem. That said, they were low enough value ones. Previously I was about to back the "Agent Smartwatch" and by god I'm glad I didn't. The creator took in around $ 1m and last time I checked (still keep an eye on it) nothing had been delivered 18+ months later. I thought there was talk to increase buyer protection, but certainly in he past there were no guarantees.

Funnily I was just looking at this project last night and was gonna post about it. Not sure how much I like the tech being built in - I'd prefer the ability to change it over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

They aren't mass producing bikes. They are outsourcing

And they have no experience doing that either, I used to design circuits for Motorola and our our factories often made a balls with regards following the spec.
    To get products mass produced you need experience dealing with mass priduction and the issues it has. Their Protos are probably hand made in house our in a local facility.

ted1 wrote: »
    And they have no experience doing that either, I used to design circuits for Motorola and our our factories often made a balls with regards following the spec.
    To get products mass produced you need experience dealing with mass priduction and the issues it has. Their Protos are probably hand made in house our in a local facility.

Not sure if the two are comparable.

They are outsourcing mould to a contractor manufacture who probably makes similar bikes for other companies. Who knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

No, not guaranteed any of your money back. Just look for the Zano project on kickstarter to see what can happen

No way would I risk this amount of money on a ks campaign.

Not sure if the two are comparable.

They are outsourcing mould to a contractor manufacture who probably makes similar bikes for other companies. Who knows

To whose design and to what quality checks? Different class of products can come of the same line

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I backed a Samsung Gear VR type thing back in the early days of Google Cardboard for smartphones, the team obviously took the money and did a runner judging by the way they stopped all communications when they hit the goal and the money was released to them, Indiegogo didnt give a sh1t, practically laughed at me in my emails, got onto Mastercard and got them to do a chargeback, got all my money back about 3 months later, hopefully it came straight from Indiegogos bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

If they don't deliver it's basically tough luck

https://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter+basics#faq_41861

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dazguy2000

I honestly think its too much money to risk.

There are so many different possibilities where this could go wrong.... poor build, crap wheels, rubbish software, etc etc
    While the price seems great are you willing to risk not getting anything. Shocked they were funded so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Nice looking bike. Hidden cables and integrated computer seem to be the selling points. Good value though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What if you ever wanted to change the stem?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

colm18 wrote: »

surprise surprise. the odds of that thing being decent were fairly slim tbf. even if it were a nice machine who'd want to ride a bike called a speed-x? its only a step above calling it a 'mega-bike' or something equally lame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

surprise surprise. the odds of that thing being decent were fairly slim tbf. even if it were a nice machine who'd want to ride a bike called a speed-x? its only a step above calling it a 'mega-bike' or something equally lame.

Agreed, though I think the 1/5 rating doesn't quite correspond with the review.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A built in cadence sensor that's incompatible with all major, and most widely used pedals? These guys should work for Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'd say that the review itself does not justify 1/5 rating at all.

After reading it I'd expect 3/5. But 1/5 is simply harsh in the tl;dr world.

I wouldn't say it deserved a 1, sounds like there are s few design issues that could be easily fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

emphatically no.

You are not buying a bike you are making an investment in the venture capital phase of a start up business, with no prospect of getting any equity in the company you are funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fian wrote: »
    emphatically no.

You are not buying a bike you are making an investment in the venture capital phase of a start up business, with no prospect of getting any equity in the company you are funding.
    It's only an investment if there's a probability that the resale value of the item is higher than the Kickstarter price you pay.

I'd say that probability is quite low.

The review seems to focus on the rims being crap, which is fair enough. But it doesn't read like a 1 star review.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Yeah seems like the wheels let it down but the rear light issue should be easily solved
    At a guess I would say if BR have it more then one star then other 'contributors' to the site wouldn't be happy.
    Bread and Butter and all that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Seems to me that Garmin or a similar manufacture could address this market very easily by simply creating a stem with in-built 520 / 810 / 1000 or whatever, and an API for developers to write apps. Bikes are already modular enough that you don't need a whole new bike just to get the smart functionality.

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    Seems to me that Garmin or a similar manufacture could address this market very easily by simply creating a stem with in-built 520 / 810 / 1000 or whatever, and an API for developers to write apps. Bikes are already modular enough that you don't need a whole new bike just to get the smart functionality.

Why would garmin do that though? They ahve a device that easily connects to a bike to make the bike 'smart'.

Canyon have done something similar with Sony/Android. That type of thing is far more likely to happen in the future.

Advertisement