Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data recovery with file names

Options
  • 26-03-2016 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I accidentally formatted a hard drive recently with all my tv and films on it recently (I meant to format a partition on it but it formatted the whole thing)

I got a recovery program and it recovered the files alright, but the file names are gone. It seems like a lot of work to go through the 2000 or so files to sort them out! So I know the data is there, I just need to recover the file names too. If anyone knows of a good program that can recover the data and file structure that would be great

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Testdisk might be able to recover the MFT *IF* you haven't done anything with the disk yet.
    Repair An NTFS MFT
    The MFT (Master File Table) is sometimes corrupted. If Microsoft's Checkdisk (chkdsk) failed to repair the MFT, run TestDisk. In the Advanced menu, select your NTFS partition, choose Boot, then Repair MFT. TestDisk will compare the MFT and MFT mirror (its backup). If the MFT is damaged, it will try to repair the MFT using the backup. If the MFT backup is damaged, it will use the main MFT.

If both MFT and MFTMirr are damaged and thus cannot be repaired using TestDisk, you might want to try commercial software like Zero Assumption Recovery, GetDataBack for NTFS or Restorer 2000.

Back to Running the TestDisk Program

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I bought Stellar Phoenix years ago and it was 1 of the best things I've ever gotten, I've recovered external driver that were formatted in the past.

Advertisement