Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Employers In Cork

Options
  • 26-03-2016 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey,

Mods feel free to move this thread into one of the job threads but I am currently looking for a change of scenery and a new job and Cork is one of the places I am currently considering looking to.

Who would you say would be the major employers in Cork? Just looking to target the right places and try my luck with CV/Applications and see what happens.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Obviously there are a lot of employers in Cork but what qualifications / interests do you have so that perhaps we could respond more appropriately.
    The obvious sector is pharmacuetical with companies like Pfizer, eli lilly etc based in Cork. IT wise EMC and apple are probably the biggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jayo5012

I have a Bachelor of Business Hons Degree. In my head I suppose areas Id see myself in is an administrative/business operations role. Have strong computer/admin skills, customer relations etc but with the majority of my work experience being in a betting shop, latest as a supervisor its a matter of adapting my skills and an employer seeing the bigger picture.

I'd say rather than seeing the "bigger pictures" most employers will see you as someone with a degree with no relevant experience, in an interview situation you can join the dots for them perhaps.

Managing a betting shop does show a number of decent skills/traits of course :)

The largest employer in Cork is UCC which surprises many but there you go.

As mentioned Apple & EMC employ considerable amounts so too Boston Scientific, Depuy, VoxPro etc. You probably don't fancy being an operator/product builder or call centre employee so lots of the major employers won't have too many roles that would tickle your fancy.

KPMG, PWC are in Cork too if you wanted to head down the apprentice accountant route (probably the wrong term) but there are of course no shortage of applicants for such roles with them.

Dell are also in Cork, so too BNY Mellon...... there really is a bit of everything.

If you are struggling in a few months to get something I'd suggest getting qualified as a QFA or a Product Advisor..... that might set you apart from other candidates with a similar primary qualification.

To be honest you are in a very good position, you have a decent qualification, you have work experience and presumably your salary expectations aren't looney.... it's a decent time to be in that position.

The very best of luck with it.

Cheers for the reply Augeo!

Lots to go on there, thanks! Yeah im very positive about things, to be honest I am prepared to just get in the door so to speak and work my way up, I have no major expectations salary wise.

Only problem regarding applying for jobs is the line that appears in nearly every job requirements, ' we are looking for x amount of years experience in a similar position' some may see the betting shop as irrelevant experience for jobs that I would be more than capable of doing. Just a case of someone picking up the CV and liking the look of me and getting the chance of an interview, face to face as you say to join the dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

Voxpro are not too bad to work for and will give you the opportunity to advance if that is something you want to do, it's not the easiest job but they don't mind taking people on without specific experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭thomil

Have you ever considered entering i.e. Apple in an entry level role, like customer support? They're hiring like mad at the moment. I've just left Apple after 3.5 years, but I'd still recommend it as an employer, pay and benefits aren't bad, and you get a foot in the door. I know several colleagues who, after spending a year or two in customer support, moved on to more business oriented roles. Just a suggestion from someone who has actually worked there.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Cheers Thomil for the insight. Had a quick look there all the customer rep roles they currently have advertised require french which i dont have unfortunately. Will keep an eye though on their careers website to see what appears.

From your own experience there is probably no benefit sending a speculative CV in the post to their HR department? From previous experience large companies have not really responded to these and advise to apply for anything through the website.

Cheers again everyone so far for your suggestions, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭thomil

As far as speculative applications are concerned, I'm afraid I can't help you with that. I myself was approached by a headhunter back in Germany back in 2012. Just keep the jobs page bookmarked, check it regularly, and make sure you have an up-to-date LinkedIn profile, recruiters and headhunters for Apple do check for those.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

There are a good few companies in Citygate and the aiport business park. The CSO and NSC are also down mahon direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Off the top of my head the big ones would be:

Apple
    EMC
    Dell
    Ervia
    Abtran - they have a project management office, more than just call centre roles
    IBM
    Tyco
    PWC
    Deloitte
    Aspira
    Amazon
    Boston Scientific
    BNY Mellon
    Musgrave
    Core HR
    VM Ware
    PM Group
    News weaver
    Laya Healthcare
    Eli Lilly
    Analog Devices
    DePuy
    FireEye
    Intel
    Jacobs Engineering
    Logitech
    Merck
    Red Hat
    Trend Micro
    UCC
    CIT
    CSO
    Teamwork

• Advertisement

Cheers for the suggestions, plenty for me to take a look at there, heres hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Don't think Apple will be hiring much until before the next launch, so around August or September.

Sozbox seems to have all the main companies listed, so all I can add is that LinkedIn is a decent resource, if you already have an account set up.

Might be also worth your while throwing your CV in with a recruiter (someone here might have good experience with a company, that they'd recommend).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Missed Flex (formally Flextronics) and Yves Rocher in Killbarry Industrial Estate

Knex was thinking about doing that too, if anyone could recommend any particular recruitment firm to use, would be a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dsager

BioMarin has many openings in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Missed Flex (formally Flextronics) and Yves Rocher in Killbarry Industrial Estate

Both have cut their numbers in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Cork city and county council are currently recruiting clerical officers

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

UCC, CIT and CUH must be three of the largest employers in Cork.

Advertisement