Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying old games on steam

Options
  • 26-03-2016 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi, I want to buy lego star wars while its on sale on steam but im not sure if my computer would be able to play the game because the specs for the game list Windows XP SP2/Vista as OS's.
    So my question is can i still play this game even though i have windows 7.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Google it. Its totally dependent on the title.

Steam do 48hr refunds now, so you can try it and apply for a refund if not if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jack kelly

Ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Games usually scale well, the OS very rarely effects compatability, as DirectX (the thing that lets you run Windows based games) is scalable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Really? I've a lot of trouble running older games, like from 2006 or that on Windows 10. Some games work but a lot don't.

There's almost always a workaround even if it doesn't launch, the first Max Payne is the only game I couldn't ever run.

You could pirate the game and see if it runs or not, if it does, buy it on Steam, if it doesn't then it hasn't cost anybody anything. Leaves you with as long as you need to fix a workaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Playing Abe's Oddesy (2002) runs perfectly fine for me, which launched during the XP/Vista days and I've never had any game not run because of my OS.
    Of course, my friend had an issue running Planetside 2 on Windows 8 when he transfered from Windows 7, but that sorted itself out the next day ;p

• Advertisement
Advertisement