Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP printers and non-HP cartridges

Options
  • 26-03-2016 8:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35

I purchased a HP printer in Jan 2016, when the cartridges ran out, I started to use non HP one's...no problems till last week.
    The printer started to say they were faulty, I took them and printer to the ink shop, the guy said it was my printer, some part (print head) was faulty...so I said I'd return it to pc world.

I didn't get to pc world this week...but now i see the ink shop has a notice on its website saying that due to a HP update, certain new printers are rejecting non-hp cartridges.

What would you advise I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Try a HP cartridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Try a hp ink cartridge. If thr printer is still faulty they will probably either repair or replace it so the cartridge will be good for that. If you held onto the old hp cartridge you could get it refilled and test that.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Miaireland wrote: »
    Try a hp ink cartridge. If thr printer is still faulty they will probably either repair or replace it so the cartridge will be good for that. If you held onto the old hp cartridge you could get it refilled and test that.

Its likely that the firmware update that locks out non-HP cartridges is also going to lock out refilled ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭alias no.9

So your printer worked out of the box and worked with non hp cartridges but the latest non hp cartridges don't work? Did you update the firmware or agree to some kind of automatic update because if not, I really don't think it's changed since you bought it. You should be looking for a full refund for those last set of cartridges and take your business elsewhere, if they sold them as compatible and they're not, its their **** up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 diy.i.do

It appears to have been a "pushed update" as I didn't agree to any optional updates.
    The ink shop appears to have tried to fob me off on some BS about a faulty printer....then put an update about it on their website after I left.

• Advertisement

As I can't post a link here is a copy of their statement;

HP Global Firmware
    We are advising customers of a recent firmware update affecting ALL HP single tank printers, namely those concerned:-

HP 932/933/934/935/950/951/970/971.

Our current compatible chips are unsupported by the new firmware and we will resume supply of these units once we confirm our position with the chip manufacturer.

If you have any further questions or concerns then please contact us to discuss. We will as always update you as soon as possible with further developments
    It should be noted that this is an industry wide problem and no alternative supplier will have a remedy for this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭alias no.9

diy.i.do wrote: »
    It appears to have been a "pushed update" as I didn't agree to any optional updates.
    The ink shop appears to have tried to fob me off on some BS about a faulty printer....then put an update about it on their website after I left.

Is your printer networked?

Try a HP cartridge.

Not helpful.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Is your printer networked?

Yes...I looked through settings, it was set for automatic updates by default :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Not helpful.

As per the post after the one you just called not helpful, trying a hp cartridge will show if the printer is broken beyond use or just if you have to use genuine print cartridges to make it work.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    As per the post after the one you just called not helpful, trying a hp cartridge will show if the printer is broken beyond use or just if you have to use genuine print cartridges to make it work.

The printer is not broken, the ink guy was lying, trying to fob me off due to the update, causing non-HP cartridges to become inoperative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The printer is not broken, the ink guy was lying, trying to fob me off due to the update, causing non-HP cartridges to become inoperative.

And so you have to use hp cartridges. So what's the problem?

athtrasna wrote: »
    And so you have to use hp cartridges. So what's the problem?

I've gotten helpful answers from posters here, I'm sure i can pick out the ones that are helpful or not.. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If it is not broken, it would be printing pages

If it's not printing pages, take it to PC world

I purchased a HP printer in Jan 2016, when the cartridges ran out, I started to use non HP one's...no problems till last week.
    The printer started to say they were faulty, I took them and printer to the ink shop, the guy said it was my printer, some part (print head) was faulty...so I said I'd return it to pc world.

I didn't get to pc world this week...but now i see the ink shop has a notice on its website saying that due to a HP update, certain new printers are rejecting non-hp cartridges.

What would you advise I do?

As I can't post a link here is a copy of their statement;

HP Global Firmware
    We are advising customers of a recent firmware update affecting ALL HP single tank printers, namely those concerned:-

HP 932/933/934/935/950/951/970/971.

Our current compatible chips are unsupported by the new firmware and we will resume supply of these units once we confirm our position with the chip manufacturer.

If you have any further questions or concerns then please contact us to discuss. We will as always update you as soon as possible with further developments
    It should be noted that this is an industry wide problem and no alternative supplier will have a remedy for this issue.

you left out the date

23 September 2015

https://www.facebook.com/galwaycartridge/posts/1034607679917184

It starts a print then stops. Cartridges are 935 934

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you tried a genuine cartridge yet?

It starts a print then stops. Cartridges are 935 934

That doesn't sound good

It'd be best to buy original cartridges and then bring it back to PC world

http://www8.hp.com/ie/en/products/oas/product-detail.html?oid=6233918

about 14 euro from HP

or get them from the cartridge refill shop, maybe they will swap or something

/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you tried a genuine cartridge yet?

Some people can't be helped, don't bother

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Some people can't be helped, don't bother

If course I'm going to get HP cartridges....that goes without saying. I'll try and get some money back on the non-brand ones.

Thanks to the helpful people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement