Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackwell v Eubank Jr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Not even a contest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

FTA69 wrote: »
    Christ, Blackwell carted off on a stretcher. Hope to God he'll be ok, these men give so much it's unreal.

He did ship a lot of punches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Danye

Christ, Blackwell carted off on a stretcher. Hope to God he'll be ok, these men give so much it's unreal.

Too brave for his own good the lad. Hopefully he's ok though.

Brook fight a farce

I'd say Eubank Sr follows Junior to the jacks and holds his lad for him!

Won't leave his young lad alone and give him a minute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Eubank Sr crowbarring himself on camera, what a twathoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

3 title defences for Kell Brook now & 3 absolute joke fights. Says it all that Frankie Gavin was the stiffest test he has faced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    I really like Brook's style as a boxer, but he's a p*ssy fighting all these sparring partners for title fights and he's an arrogant so and so.

He's a f*cking mandatory!

Brook has to fight him or lose his belt.

He also calls out Khan at every opportunity, as he really wants a big fight. It's very obvious that he wants a big name, so I don't know where you're coming from.

As for arrogant, I think he's a very straight forward kind of fella. Eubank is arrogant. They're completely different personality types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

I mean, mandatory is a mandatory but it's not like that matters in Boxing. He picked a guy that Jo Jo Dan beat twice...absolute nonsense.

Eubank Snr is taking care of his son in fairness - lots of managers/promoters do it

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    He's a f*cking mandatory!

Brook has to fight him or lose his belt.

He also calls out Khan at every opportunity, as he really wants a big fight. It's very obvious that he wants a big name, so I don't know where you're coming from.

As for arrogant, I think he's a very straight forward kind of fella. Eubank is arrogant. They're completely different personality types.

Completely agree.

Wanted a big fight, couldn't get it so dealt with the mandatory. What more can Brook do?

It's Heard and the IBF that need to be looking at themselves and the opponents he's getting.

qwabercd wrote: »
    3 title defences for Kell Brook now & 3 absolute joke fights. Says it all that Frankie Gavin was the stiffest test he has faced.

WBO need to check themselves (IBF?)

Pound 4 Pound British no1??? Bitch, please

mansize wrote: »
    WBO need to check themselves (IBF?)

IBF...how on earth do cannon fodder guys like Jo Jo Dan and Kevin Bizier warrant #1 contender spots when you have guys like Errol Spence, Shawn Porter, Lamont Peterson, Diego Chaves all gunning for title fights and beating top opposition. Absolute nonsense.

I mean, mandatory is a mandatory but it's not like that matters in Boxing. He picked a guy that Jo Jo Dan beat twice...absolute nonsense.

Do you even know the meaning of the word 'mandatory'?

mandatory
    ˈmandət(ə)ri/
    adjective
    adjective: mandatory

required by law or mandate; compulsory.

He didn't "pick" him, he HAD TO fight him!!

Garcia beats Brook.

Garcia/Bradley...

mandatory
    ˈmandət(ə)ri/
    adjective

He could chuck the belt and chase the big fight tbf

No mention of Khan- I'm surprised

• Advertisement

Saunders says Eubank Jr not wanting to fight him

He could chuck the belt and chase the big fight tbf

Chasing the big fight is exactly what he's doing, but the excuse of "not bringing anything to the table" would definitely be used if he ditched it.

I'm not claiming the IBF got it right, they very obviously didn't, but if Brook is to get a big fight he needs a belt. There won't be too many wanting to fight him.

Danye wrote: »
    Garcia beats Brook.

Garcia is made for Brook.

I'd have a nice wager on that result, I'm that confident of it.

Saunders calling out GGG

mandatory
    ˈmandət(ə)ri/
    adjective

This is Boxing, rules and laws don't mean a bloody thing and you know that. If Brook/Hearn ordered a fight with Porter/Chaves/Bradley etc etc you know god damn well he could keep his belt and fight them. This is a blatant cherry pick.

Sanders wouldn't fill a stadium (without a bigger opponent GGG)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Billy Joe is a class act, I wish him all the best.

God be with Blackwell, he seems to be in trouble.

This is Boxing, rules and laws don't mean a bloody thing and you know that. If Brook/Hearn ordered a fight with Porter/Chaves/Bradley etc etc you know god damn well he could keep his belt and fight them. This is a blatant cherry pick.

The IBF are notoriously picky about their mandatories. See what they did to Tyson Fury? And he's far from the only one.

If Brook fought Porter again, I've no doubt we'd get the crap about 'going over old ground, etc'. Bradley has a waaaaaaay more valuable fight lined up and Brook was scheduled to fight Chaves until he got injured.

I'm not claiming tonight's fight was what I, or anybody, wants to see, but Brook is so obviously looking for a big fight, only a person with a grievance would say otherwise.

What's the word?

Billy Joe is a class act, I wish him all the best.

He is - but he ain't box office

What's the word?

He's gone to hospital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

What's the word?

The hughie fury fight is cancelled as the anaesthetist has gone off to the hospital with Blackwell.

The hughie fury fight is cancelled as the anaesthetist has gone off to the hospital with Blackwell.

I hope he's ok.

He's a very tough man. As honest a trier as they come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Im not sure if it was cancelled as you could clearly hear another fight going on in the backround just before the coverage ended. They did say about 11:15 that they would have no more live fights on ch5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Its on just not being shown

CegwYLNWAAAyTBR.jpg:large

Channel 5 were done at that point.

I hope he's ok.

He's a very tough man. As honest a trier as they come.

But you don't need to suffer serious damage either. he shipped some very heavy punches in r 5/6

Barry McGuigan tweeted that he heard Blackwell has a bleed on his brain :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Devastator wrote: »
    Im not sure if it was cancelled as you could clearly hear another fight going on in the backround just before the coverage ended. They did say about 11:15 that they would have no more live fights on ch5

You are correct.
    Hughie won 100-90

But you don't need to suffer serious damage either. he shipped some very heavy punches in r 5/6

I never said he had to. I just hope everything works out for him.

I hope the guy pulls through. Last thing the sport needs is another Mago case or even worse a Simakov tragedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Blackwell has a bleed on his skull and has been put into an induced coma, will know more in the morning. Praying Blackwell is ok one tough man.

fingers crossed for him

CehKwuGWAAA8HWH.jpg

fingers crossed for him

CehKwuGWAAA8HWH.jpg

How lucky that eye swelling up could be. Being the fighter he is, he would of kept going and suffered more damage.

Hopefully he comes through this.

Danye wrote: »
    How lucky that eye swelling up could be. Being the fighter he is, he would of kept going and suffered more damage.

Hopefully he comes through this.

No doubt he was keeping going, although he never really protested when the ref stopped it(waste of time anyway, he's not changing his mind). Blackwell was still up on his feet after the fight but after the coverage came back after the adverts he was down. BJS said he gave him a thumbs up as he was being stretchered off so hopefully this is all just very precautionary.

No doubt he was keeping going, although he never really protested when the ref stopped it(waste of time anyway, he's not changing his mind). Blackwell was still up on his feet after the fight but after the coverage came back after the adverts he was down. BJS said he gave him a thumbs up as he was being stretchered off so hopefully this is all just very precautionary.

Yeah I noticed that. I think he was hurt and in many ways he was probably delighted it was stopped. I'd imagine him and his pride would prefer to be stopped with a swollen eye rather than getting knocked out by Eubank. As you said hopefully it's precautionary.

Andre Ward looking nothing short of sensational so far. So bloody good to have him back fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭interlocked

He was as brave and tough a fighter as I've seen in a long while, sincerely hope he's ok.

Eubank Snr was right though, his bravery couldn't compensate for his limitations. That's one man that will be hoping that history doesn't repeat itself.

Complete shutout by Ward with one knockdown while another perfect body knockdown was ruled a low blow. Very impressive comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Blackwell in an induced Coma.... Hope he comes through it... Imo it should have been stopped two rounds earlier... His corner didn't protect him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That is awful news about Blackwell.

Advertisement