Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1990 Car given 1998 reg at VRT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Date of manufacture is irrelevant I have a email from dept of the environment from years ago when I wanted to get a 1978 built car with a first registered in 1980 v5 a 78 or 79 plate
    A letter from Toyota will do nothing and I think a cert from Japan would only count if you get it registered in Japan and import it off that cert or if you get the v5 changed using the letter from Japan and both these are going to be hard to do.
    While I think getting the insurance might be possible I had a problem with them going by Reg date as well even though they agreed the car was acually 20 years old it was a late Reg and so no classic insurance. The no cheap tax in 2020 is the biggest rub tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kingslash

liam7831 wrote: »
    Did you not look at the V5 before you bought car?

First time I've ever bought a UK car, I didn't realise it went on registration rather than manufacture date.

simdan wrote: »
    At least you have a lovely car with a bulletproof engine..

Do you have any pics?

Seems I can't post urls, so... http: // imgur.com/NOsUwh4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Tigger wrote: »
    Date of manufacture is irrelevant I have a email from dept of the environment from years ago when I wanted to get a 1978 built car with a first registered in 1980 v5 a 78 or 79 plate
    A letter from Toyota will do nothing and I think a cert from Japan would only count if you get it registered in Japan and import it off that cert or if you get the v5 changed using the letter from Japan and both these are going to be hard to do.
    While I think getting the insurance might be possible I had a problem with them going by Reg date as well even though they agreed the car was acually 20 years old it was a late Reg and so no classic insurance. The no cheap tax in 2020 is the biggest rub tho.

In the absence of any paperwork to prove first reg date, they may register on the VIN build date and put it down as 31st of December of that year. That's what I was told when registering mine.

In the absence of any paperwork to prove first reg date, they may register on the VIN build date and put it down as 31st of December of that year. That's what I was told when registering mine.
    was that off a car that had been previously regged but with no way of determining when ? was it a Q plate
    there is paperwork in this case the v5 showed it was first regged in 98
    a Q plate (or northern plate equivalent) wouldn't have a date on it would it

i wish the op would tell us what the reg had been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

was that off a car that had been previously regged but with no way of determining when ? was it a Q plate
    there is paperwork in this case the v5 showed it was first regged in 98
    a Q plate (or northern plate equivalent) wouldn't have a date on it would it

i wish the op would tell us what the reg had been

Yeah, mine was imported into UK in the '90s, but originally from Hong Kong. I had paperwork from HK though, so it was reg'd for the correct date here.

Now that you mention it, it was an X reg so maybe that's what they were going on when December 31st was mentioned and not the build date.

The car in question on this thread had an NI reg though, so a different set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I wish i still worked in the insuance company so i could test my computer and underwriter with this.

I recall having a section for reg number which technically is just a number for a registered vehicle. There was also a section for year of manufacture.

Ring an insurance company and get a quote but give them the reg number and give them the 1990 date.

Some insurance companies automatically get the details from the reg but if that is through the vin im not sure. If it isint from the vin then it might be trouble but if the details are coming from the vin then they should have the 1990 date built into it.

If that gets you classic insurance though is another question.

I sugfest ringing axa main centre for insurance sales since they do the different type of policies.

But really VRT should change the date on the plate with sufficient evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Any chance the GT4 was a track toy for someone in Japan and never actually saw a public road until it got to the UK/NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Heres a question ...

Is a 1990 car the cheap vintage tax ?

If it is how much is the motortax website charging to tax this car ?

Is it the vintage rate or normal car rate ?

• Advertisement

not yet

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is there any chance it was registered as a kit car, like an SVA test? Not too up on these things but is it a possibility?
    milltown wrote: »
    Any chance the GT4 was a track toy for someone in Japan and never actually saw a public road until it got to the UK/NI?

Possibly, I have absolutely no history for it from it's time in Japan. I find it unlikely that someone would buy a brand new road car and use it as a track toy and it not have any damage/replacements. The turbo and related parts are all original.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

classic insurance starts at 15 years or older so you should still be able to get it even for a 98 , but it would be nice if you can sort it out so you can get the cheaper road tax in a few years.

was it an QNI reg?
    its nice and clean how much vrt did they hit you with?

was it an QNI reg?
    its nice and clean how much vrt did they hit you with?

No, it's not QNI, it's UBZ, but they seem to be region. None of them relate to age.

It was €948. Should have been €810 according to the calculator but the guy said it was probably higher because it's a "younger" car than the 1990 I was putting into the calculator....

Skatedude wrote: »
    classic insurance starts at 15 years or older so you should still be able to get it even for a 98 , but it would be nice if you can sort it out so you can get the cheaper road tax in a few years.
    not on japs afaik or if you know better let me know cos i've a 00 mx5 i'd love to be able to add to my classic policy

Kingslash wrote: »
    No, it's not QNI, it's UBZ, but they seem to be region. None of them relate to age.

It was €948. Should have been €810 according to the calculator but the guy said it was probably higher because it's a "younger" car than the 1990 I was putting into the calculator....
    did it go straight into Northern Ireland from Japan or was it in Britian first?

having paid the VRT, you can appeal it. Have all your info lined up, with a letter from a relevant club and/or a main dealer. I would be fairly confident you will get a 1990 if you can show that's when it was built and the UK date is unreliable.

having paid the VRT, you can appeal it. Have all your info lined up, with a letter from a relevant club and/or a main dealer. I would be fairly confident you will get a 1990 if you can show that's when it was built and the UK date is unreliable.

i'll bet you that without evidence of it being regged before 98 then he hasn't a hope, unfortunatly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

It could have been an un-reg'd import from Japan, it does happen, but most likely it's a mistake by the DVLA, 1998 was the import date and the person entering the details just entered the 1998 date as date of first registration in Japan too.
    As we use date of first registration and you have no way to prove that the car was registered in Japan, then it's a lost cause.

• Advertisement

Senna wrote: »
    It could have been an un-reg'd import from Japan, it does happen, but most likely it's a mistake by the DVLA, 1998 was the import date and the person entering the details just entered the 1998 date as date of first registration in Japan too.
    As we use date of first registration and you have no way to prove that the car was registered in Japan, then it's a lost cause.

or it could be a missing paperwork car like this https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/nissan-300-zx-fairlady/11343479

donno whats going on there but its a bit confusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

It could still have been a personalised plate. A lot of UK drivers use NI reg to hide the age of the car, especially if it's immaculate and old, like that one.

No help to your situation, but might throw something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Possibly, I have absolutely no history for it from it's time in Japan. I find it unlikely that someone would buy a brand new road car and use it as a track toy and it not have any damage/replacements. The turbo and related parts are all original.

I've seen a few Evos and the likes from Japan late reg'd because of this and still very clean with original parts and low kms.

Only reasonable explanation is it was a late registered car. Unfortunate maybe. Insurance be awkward, tax will be more in 4 years than it should be, and NCT emissions rules stricter aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

surely this is a massive loop hole for someone to

Buy a car in japan high end expensive Gt-r that hasnt had a facelift etc

import and register to uk

import to ireland and cut off a year or two and make it younger?

Well, some good news at last. I'm half way there hopefully. I'm just back from the NCT center where the VRT desk was closed, but, the two guys at the NCT desk took a look at my forms and both reckon there should be no problem changing it to 1990, that it would just need to be amended.

They then told me the woman who deals with it was in a 8am and to come back then, but then they range her to check she'd be in, explained the situation and took a photocopy of my forms to give to her.

So, it isn't sorted yet; But it's a huge step in the right direction. Fingers crossed I get good news when she calls me tomorrow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

^^This is the way to go....have you contacted a Toyota club in the UK or Irl?

The car may have been used on Trade Plates in the UK, hence the late registration. As stated, UK residents can also transfer N.I plates onto their vehicles...it's a cheap way to 'hide' the year of the car.

Dont give up with Revenue until you have exhausted all avenues of enquiry/appeal...for originality sake, and to gain vintage road tax (€56) in four years time ...as opposed to eight years with a '98' reg car!
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Well, some good news at last. I'm half way there hopefully. I'm just back from the NCT center where the VRT desk was closed, but, the two guys at the NCT desk took a look at my forms and both reckon there should be no problem changing it to 1990, that it would just need to be amended.

They then told me the woman who deals with it was in a 8am and to come back then, but then they range her to check she'd be in, explained the situation and took a photocopy of my forms to give to her.

So, it isn't sorted yet; But it's a huge step in the right direction. Fingers crossed I get good news when she calls me tomorrow! :D

My guess is that those staff members may also be 'car fans' and so went the extra mile for you by ringing her when she is off work. Good result! Your determination paid off!

cool but let us know what happens
    all the good story's just stop but the negative ones seem to keep going

Silvera wrote: »
    ^^This is the way to go....have you contacted a Toyota club in the UK or Irl?

The car may have been used on Trade Plates in the UK, hence the late registration. As stated, UK residents can also transfer N.I plates onto their vehicles...it's a cheap way to 'hide' the year of the car.

Dont give up with Revenue until you have exhausted all avenues of enquiry/appeal...for originality sake, and to gain vintage road tax (€56) in four years time ...as opposed to eight years with a '98' reg car!
    Best of luck!

car is worth double once its a youngtimer on a €56 tax disc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Falcon L wrote: »
    It could still have been a personalised plate. A lot of UK drivers use NI reg to hide the age of the car, especially if it's immaculate and old, like that one.

No help to your situation, but might throw something up.
    Not possible. Personal plates can't be attached to a car older than the registration.

For example, I couldn't put a 2012 UK reg on a 2005 car.

Either way, the reg is irrelevant its only whats on the documentation that matters to the VRT office.

Advertisement