Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1990 Car given 1998 reg at VRT

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

millington wrote: »
    Not possible. Personal plates can't be attached to a car older than the registration.

For example, I couldn't put a 2012 UK reg on a 2005 car.
    Where did I say the NI plate would be newer than the car? NI plates aren't new registrations in my example. They are old registration numbers, bought to hide an age-identifier UK one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kingslash

Quick update: I heard nothing back from them yesterday, so I'm gonna pop back over today. Couldn't get over for 8am when yer one supposedly starts work, but hopefully she'll still be there at lunch time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Kingslash wrote: »
    Quick update: I heard nothing back from them yesterday, so I'm gonna pop back over today. Couldn't get over for 8am when yer one supposedly starts work, but hopefully she'll still be there at lunch time.

So Any news?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Tigger wrote: »
    not on japs afaik or if you know better let me know cos i've a 00 mx5 i'd love to be able to add to my classic policy

That i didn't know, my last 2 cars on classic insurance were german.
    Hope the OP gets it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭stezie

I imported a Honda S2000 about 4/5 years ago. Even though it was a Jap Import, It was registered in the UK as a new car in 2000. Year of manufacture was 1999. I knew I was buying a Year 2000 car...

I wanted a 2000 reg'd S2000 and was disappointed as the revenue went by the year of manufacture and gave me a stupid looking 99 plate. VRT between the 1999 and 2000 was identical...

These guys are making it up as they go along, and do their best to make importing cars a nightmare..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

stezie wrote: »
    I imported a Honda S2000 about 4/5 years ago. Even though it was a Jap Import, It was registered in the UK as a new car in 2000. Year of manufacture was 1999. I knew I was buying a Year 2000 car...

I wanted a 2000 reg'd S2000 and was disappointed as the revenue went by the year of manufacture and gave me a stupid looking 99 plate. VRT between the 1999 and 2000 was identical...

These guys are making it up as they go along, and do their best to make importing cars a nightmare..

Where did they even get the build date from?

Where did they even get the build date from?

No Idea, as date of first registration and first registration in UK was both in 2000.

they made it up, as 1/1/1999 - I argued to I was sick speaking to them that the first car didn't even leave the production line till August / September 1999, and had to make it all the way from japan...

No Idea, as date of first registration and first registration in UK was both in 2000.

they made it up, as 1/1/1999 - I argued to I was sick speaking to them that the first car didn't even leave the production line till August / September 1999, and had to make it all the way from japan...

That's daft. If it was approaching vintage tax status it would probably swing the other way - 31/12/2000. :rolleyes:

That's daft. If it was approaching vintage tax status it would probably swing the other way - 31/12/2000. :rolleyes:

Its going to get even more daft now....

I had to look through my old paper work for a photocopy to double check...

Date of first registration is 21 / 11 / 2003 ( Decl/d Manuf 1999)

And I got a 99DL registration.. The vrt office went with what was in the brackets and that was on section 10 of the v5c..

I can scan a copy of the old v5c and the vrt receipt if ye don't believe me..

Its going to get even more daft now....

I had to look through my old paper work for a photocopy to double check...

Date of first registration is 21 / 11 / 2003 ( Decl/d Manuf 1999)

And I got a 99DL registration.. The vrt office went with what was in the brackets and that was on section 10 of the v5c..

I can scan a copy of the old v5c and the vrt receipt if ye don't believe me..

I believe you. :D
    I guess they didn't want the car to be responsible for making the car appear younger than it is, and increase the value, and they had the build date so went to the extremity of that range.

• Advertisement

Apologies for the lack of reply folks.

So... after a couple of days of no reply last week, I drove back out to the VRT centre and spoke to them. The chap at the desk (the same guy who initially gave me the 98-D reg) said that it had been emailed to revenue, pulling the email up on screen and reading it out to me, and said they were awaiting a reply and I should hear back from them early this week.

Thursday came along and I'd heard nothing so I rang VRT head office (couldn't get number for the Greenhills centre) but they said to just wait to hear back from Greenhills. So I've heard nothing back today again.

I'm going to go in to them on Monday, or perhaps tomorrow if they're open. I haven't had a chance all week to leave work or I'd have gone to them on Thursday in person.

Hopefully I'll have a definitive answer soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

OP Check your Pm

Hey Folks!

So finally, just over 8 weeks after bringing the car in for VRT, I've been given a 90 D reg!

Up until now, I had been dealing with the same guy each time. I never seemed to see anyone else there on any of my visits and he didn't seem to have a clue. Tuesday I chanced going up again, fully expecting to be told to wait for a phone call.

This time I caught the manager, who apologised for the delay and promised to get it sorted. She rang revenue on the spot, got no answer, promised to call me later that day which she did, if only to tell me the guy in revenue was in meetings and she'd try again the next morning. Yesterday morning she rang me with everything sorted.

So fair play to the VRT manager in greenhills! The other guy....not so much.

A big thanks to everyone here for all of your helpful suggestions :)

Can't wait to finally get it on the road!!

Advertisement