Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what potatoes for chips with skins on?

Options
  • 26-03-2016 8:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

love homemade chips but am very lazy when it comes to pealing the skins of potatoes. what are the best potatoes to use for chips where you could leave the skins on and fry them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

my choice is roosters, the skin becomes nice and crispy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Absolutely Roosters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

3rd for roosters.

Irish whites and maris pipers are good for chips but the skins are very thin, roosters have a very robust skin which will become very crispy.

Golden Wonders would be a good choice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Roosters but you gotta peal!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Cyprus if you can get them.

If you're Dublin based, the greengrocer in Stoneybatter usually has a stock of them, as well as the one over on Wexford St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Mmmm, now I want to go cook a batch of skin-on chips. My Irish husband would plotz but I'm a crazy Yank. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Speedwell wrote: »
    Mmmm, now I want to go cook a batch of skin-on chips. My Irish husband would plotz but I'm a crazy Yank. :)

Cut them thick, fry them twice and when you're done sprinkle them with sea salt and some fried rosemary (just threw a few sprigs into the frier for a few seconds before or after the chips to crisp up and then pull the leafy bits off and sprinkle over the chips).

Advertisement