Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany vs England Friendly

• 26-03-2016 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭

Anyone else watching this? Pretty good game so far. England have a very physically impressive side out there and have caused problems early but Germany have just started to find a rhythm and Arsenal getting through the lines a bit too easily the last few minutes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Anyone else watching this? Pretty good game so far. England have a very physically impressive side out there and have caused problems early but Germany have just started to find a rhythm and Arsenal getting through the lines a bit too easily the last few minutes.

Are they playing Germany as well as England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All Lallana had to do was calmly roll it into the corner of net. He lacks that calmness in front of goal. I dunno what there is to fear in a friendly game. Frustrates a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Great finish
    Doubt player knew he was injured .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

And that's Butland's international career over. The Stoke keeper with a poor ball into midfield to set Germany away on the attack, Kroos takes on a shot from outside the box that Butland should always be saving at his near post. Now he's going off either out of injury or shame it's tough to tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ozil with another assist. Cut England open there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

And that's Butland's international career over. The Stoke keeper with a poor ball into midfield to set Germany away on the attack, Kroos takes on a shot from outside the box that Butland should always be saving at his near post. Now he's going off either out of injury or shame it's tough to tell.

He was hobbled and beaten when a fit Butland probably would have saved it....

The guy has the talent to be back (once he isn't crocked).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

He's "literally" heartbroken according to Clive Tyldesley...

No wonder he's being taken off on a stretcher!!

Kroos deserves that goal, he's been the best player on the pitch. Not really helped by Khedira who looks a hit if a spare part in this possession heavy approach of Germany.

He was hobbled and beaten when a fit Butland probably would have saved it....

The guy has the talent to be back (once he isn't crocked).

Ye maybe, though high profile gaffes have wrecked many an English keeper's international career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Butland learned a harsh lesson there. He should have put that out over the line and had a physio come to him rather than kick it out.

It's by no means the end of his international career. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Delle Alli has looked very impressive. Probably wont start in the euros though once rooney is fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You've said some stupid stuff on this forum before but this would definitely rival some of your previous gems.

His international career over? Going off through shame? Wow. Just wow. Everyone here is now stupider for having read your post. Bravo.

Half time has come at the right time for England. Germany starting to purr. They figured out the English press after 25 minutes, they simply moved more players between the England lines to allow the lines of Hummels, Rudiger and Kroos to play vertically. When they switch the ball quick in the England half there's massive danger. England are defending very narrowly too and it almost cost them a goal but Gomez was ruled offside.

The difference between Germany's centre backs striding forward with the ball and actually play making from deep with their English counterparts is stark.

While England are able to keep basic possession, there is no art in their play, no ingenuity. They have a team of players that are strong and quick but that lack the understanding and ability to play anything other than either a counter attacking game or, against smaller sides, a dull, one dimensional approach to breaking teams down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Lol god this is such a load of tripe.

Kirby wrote: »
    You've said some stupid stuff on this forum before but this would definitely rival some of your previous gems.

His international career over? Going off through shame? Wow. Just wow. Everyone here is now stupider for having read your post. Bravo.

Ohhhhhh are we playing guess the quote? Cos that one is Billy Madison. The answer is Billy Madison.

Look at all the English keeper's discarded after high profile gaffes. Why should Butland be any different? Personally I'm not that high on him anyway, his kicking is consistently poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't agree that what he said is stupid. If you were to take a calculated guess on what way his international career goes from here based on history you would have to predict that it's over.

We all know that he is a young keeper and there is a chance he gets back into the team at some stage in the future but just look at what happened to Rob Green, Scott Carson and Paul Robinson in recent times.

How ridiculous that Germany can take off a centre back the quality of Hummels then bring on a prospect like Tah.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't agree that what he said is stupid. If you were to take a calculated guess on what way his international career goes from here based on history you would have to predict that it's over.

We all know that he is a young keeper and there is a chance he gets back into the team at some stage in the future but just look at what happened to Rob Green, Scott Carson and Paul Robinson in recent times.

Carson couldn't stay fit. Rob Green made a number of howlers in high profile games, as did Robinson and they both got quite a few caps between them. This is a friendly, in which he got injured. How is it in anyway comparable??

And did you forget the part where he claimed that Butland went off not through injury, but through shame? I mean seriously. If there were awards for the most stupid and disrespectful post made this year, I think his post would be a top contender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Paul Robinson played 41 times for England.

This is only his 4th game.Considering he's probably going to be a premier league goalie for the next 15 years I really doubt that his England career is over.

How ridiculous that Germany can take off a centre back the quality of Hummels then bring on a prospect like Tah.
    It's not in any way ridiculous, it just shows their attitude towards friendlies which you can also see by the recent results at home against the USA etc.

• Advertisement

Carson couldn't stay fit. Rob Green made a number of howlers in high profile games, as did Robinson and they both got quite a few caps between them. This is a friendly, in which he got injured. How is it in anyway comparable??

And did you forget the part where he claimed that Butland went off not through injury, but through shame? I mean seriously. If there were awards for the most stupid and disrespectful post made this year, I think his post would be a top contender.

The lesson is never make a joke, someone will inevitably think you are a robot who is serious 100% of the time.

It's not in any way ridiculous, it just shows their attitude towards friendlies which you can also see by the recent results at home against the USA etc.

Haha no I mean Tah is a fantastic footballer and the quality of depth in the German squad is remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Half time has come at the right time for England. Germany starting to purr. They figured out the English press after 25 minutes, they simply moved more players between the England lines to allow the lines of Hummels, Rudiger and Kroos to play vertically. When they switch the ball quick in the England half there's massive danger. England are defending very narrowly too and it almost cost them a goal but Gomez was ruled offside.

The difference between Germany's centre backs striding forward with the ball and actually play making from deep with their English counterparts is stark.

While England are able to keep basic possession, there is no art in their play, no ingenuity. They have a team of players that are strong and quick but that lack the understanding and ability to play anything other than either a counter attacking game or, against smaller sides, a dull, one dimensional approach to breaking teams down.

So whats new?

The lesson is never make a joke, someone will inevitably think you are a robot who is serious 100% of the time.
    You can backtrack all you want, that wasn't a joke. You know it. I know it. The people who read it know it. You should just apologise for it and start speaking some sense to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

yeah Andersonisgod, it was injury & shame, injury & shame he left the field in

delaad wrote: »
    So whats new?

That some people talked themselves into believing Smalling and Dier are so good on the ball that it'll give England a decent base to build their possession game on. In the face of Hummels, Rudiger and Kroos they look so pedestrian.

You can backtrack all you want, that wasn't a joke. You know it. I know it. The people who read it know it. You should just apologise for it and start speaking some sense to be honest.

Jeez it wasn't any worse than your Billy Madison reference, everyone's a critical these days.

Brilliant header there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

That some people talked themselves into believing Smalling and Dier are so good on the ball that it'll give England a decent base to build their possession game on. In the face of Hummels, Rudiger and Kroos they look so pedestrian.

So, as I said, what's new?

• Advertisement

Boom - 2-0 Germany

Kroos... nice goal

Comprehensively outclassed.

Toni Kroos has so much room. What exactly is the point of Henderson and Dier if neither goes to close him down? He has so much time to pick a pass its criminal.

Kane is so classy.

Great goal by Kane... fought hard and great skill.

2-1

It's a shame that on the 11th of June England Rooney will be leading the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Kane with a nod to the great Cruyff!

• Advertisement

England fans imploring God to save the Queen.

God was unavailable for comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

England really have no business getting any result here. They've been played off the park. Other than a bit of Kane brilliance, they'd be dead an buried here.

Germany's wing backs the obvious weakness in this side offensively and defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Am I missing something? England have been great tonight. Germany have been pretty, but England have been very competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

For a young lad Alli really is a serious prospect. So clever and creative on the ball. Henderson & Lallana are a bit lost at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

SlickRic wrote: »
    Am I missing something? England have been great tonight. Germany have been pretty, but England have been very competitive.

Think some aspects of their game (mainly Spurs related) have been very good. Don't think outclassed at all.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    For a young lad Alli really is a serious prospect. So clever and creative on the ball. Henderson & Lallana are a bit lost at this level.

Lallana is ok. Henderson has been lost since Suarez left Liverpool.

Certainly Germany seem to have greater quality, but I think England have been fine.
    They certainly could have equalised there!

Caught out repeatedly in midfield. First 25 minutes good, the rest has been a struggle. Once Germany found their feet and established a foundation to build they've controlled the play and created chances too.

HigginsJ wrote: »

Personally I have no clue how Henderson is anywhere near this team....or even starts for Liverpool to be honest. But I have a lot of time for Lallana. He can be frustrating at times yes, but he offers a bit of guile on the ball that you need. With him and Ali they have good creativity.

Caught out repeatedly in midfield. First 25 minutes good, the rest has been a struggle. Once Germany found their feet and established a foundation to build they've controlled the play and created chances too.

England have created chances too.

Germany have been the better team, but nowhere near comprehensively outclassed.

Kane & Vardy now leading the line....

Alli is now England's best player. An automatic starter IMO.

I'd love to see Vardy get his first international goal right now. It'd be great for his his confidence as an England player.

It's real Roy of the Rovers stuff to go from playing with Fleetwood Town four years ago to being an England International now.

England have created chances too.

Germany have been the better team, but nowhere near comprehensively outclassed.

I'd say some of that had been down to some odd errors on the German part, not through particularly brilliant pressing by England, just a few bad mistakes.

I'd say in general play they've been outclassed pretty comprehensively. Anything other than a counter attacking or capitalising on mistakes has been lacking.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement