Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany vs England Friendly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

This England win is great as it's going to really kick start the hype that was missing for a couple of tournaments.

It was always funnier when they flopped when they went in with a load of hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Kirby wrote: »
    You were saying? :P

Hahaha if only friendly results were World Cups. Germany have been poor since the Gomez goal, they've been poor in friendlies in general going into this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Haha what do you think they are? Their strength is their athletic ability, Kane is the most typical English number 9 you'll ever see and Vardy's strengths are pace and tenacity (though his movement there was quite good). If you can't tell the difference between a player whose strengths are technical quality and a player whose strengths are athleticism then you're not worth my time.

You say that like there's something wrong with it. They're English, they don't have to play like Spaniards to be effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

How ridiculous that Germany can take off a centre back the quality of Hummels then bring on a prospect like Tah.

Was terrible when he came on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Pep guardiola had a lot to answer for after turning this Germany team into a bunch of chumps.

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Kane is the most typical English number 9 you'll ever see and Vardy's strengths are pace and tenacity (though his movement there was quite good). If you can't tell the difference between a player whose strengths are technical quality and a player whose strengths are athleticism then you're not worth my time.

You don't watch much of Harry Kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hahaha if only friendly results were World Cups. Germany have been poor since the Gomez goal, they've been poor in friendlies in general going into this tournament.

Outclassing teams all sides though, especially tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Hang on. A minute ago they were completely outclassing England. So much so that you posted it twice. Now that the game is over and you see they lost, suddenly they were poor?

Hmmm...... okay then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Good comeback from England and that is something they were incapable of for many years even in friendlies.

It really doesn't matter a jot to the Germans, just look at their record in home friendlies.

Great to see Jamie Vardy get his first International goal. It'll give a lot of belief to the English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

<whistles The Great Escape>

:D

• Advertisement

Anderonisgod, your lack of knowledge on English football has been well and truly found out tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Haha what do you think they are? Their strength is their athletic ability, Kane is the most typical English number 9 you'll ever see and Vardy's strengths are pace and tenacity (though his movement there was quite good). If you can't tell the difference between a player whose strengths are technical quality and a player whose strengths are athleticism then you're not worth my time.

Kane is an all round fantastic player. Looks fairly two footed, strength to hold up the ball & the ability to bring others into the game. Intelligent movement & runs & a cracking finisher. Calling him just an athlete or a typical English no. 9 is just trying to downplay the guy & you come off looking silly.

So Kane's top class finishing ability is not a techincal skill?

I will say, friendly or not that collapse will be a concern to Löw who is short on leaders at the moment with Lahm gone and Schweinsteiger out. There's issues both at full back and in midfield for Germany to sort out going into this tournament. Gundogan is an obvious answer but in Julian Weigl they have a young midfielder of supreme talent. He's still very young but surely he's worth considering because that midfield is not functioning as it should. Certainly work to be done because that was not Germany at their fluid best, and mentally it was weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fair play to England, 2-0 down in Berlin and they come back to win. They were outstanding for the last 30 minutes. Pace, power, commitment and plenty of skill too. Outclassed me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Big question is whether Rooney will get into the team when he's fit. Kane and Vardy would be a great attack. Sturridge another great option.

Very young team too, alot of players coming through from Spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I actually thought Eric dier was dutch :eek:

Big question is whether Rooney will get into the team when he's fit

He shouldn't.

But Roy is loyal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Vardy's strengths are pace and tenacity (though his movement there was quite good)..

Vardy's movement is always world class, a joy to watch.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Anderonisgod, your lack of knowledge on English football has been well and truly found out tonight.

I've got little love for an English team that plays as they do, whose main strength is running. I said it earlier but there's little artistry in their play, no great guile or fluidity go their football. It's rigid, swift counter attacking football that's effective (up to a point) but, IMO, it's not beautiful and it's not how the great teams play. Come the Euros Germany might win it, Spain might win it, England won't win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Big question is whether Rooney will get into the team when he's fit. Kane and Vardy would be a great attack. Sturridge another great option.

Very young team too, alot of players coming through from Spurs

So if England win Euro 2016, I guess Mauricio Pochettino will be the reason.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I will say, friendly or not that collapse will be a concern to Löw who is short on leaders at the moment with Lahm gone and Schweinsteiger out. There's issues both at full back and in midfield for Germany to sort out going into this tournament. Gundogan is an obvious answer but in Julian Weigl they have a young midfielder of supreme talent. He's still very young but surely he's worth considering because that midfield is not functioning as it should. Certainly work to be done because that was not Germany at their fluid best, and mentally it was weak.
    The Irish team are an order of magnitude worse than England, yet we still managed to take 4 points from 6 from Germany. The mojo that won Germany the World Cup just isn't there from what I have seen. As good as we know they can be, they have flattered to deceive.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Brilliant all round performance from england,both teams would make u wonder if that was the same sport that was played at the aviva last nite

Hang on. A minute ago they were completely outclassing England. So much so that you posted it twice. Now that the game is over and you see they lost, suddenly they were poor?

Hmmm...... okay then.

Reminder to Kirby that football is played over 90 minutes. What might be true in the 25th minute may not be true in the 70th minute.

I've got little love for an English team that plays as they do, whose main strength is running. I said it earlier but there's little artistry in their play, no great guile or fluidity go their football. It's rigid, swift counter attacking football that's effective (up to a point) but, IMO, it's not beautiful and it's not how the great teams play. Come the Euros Germany might win it, Spain might win it, England won't win it.

The move for vardy's goal was top class and the finish was as technically good as any you'll ever see.

• Advertisement

The Irish team are an order of magnitude worse than England, yet we still managed to take 4 points from 6 from Germany. The mojo that won Germany the World Cup just isn't there from what I have seen. As good as we know they can be, they have flattered to deceive.

I'd be wary of judging them based on a qualifying campaign too. Germany have great resolve when it comes to tournaments, they have a team of players used to winning big championships. If their starting midfield at the tournament is Kroos and Khedira then I'd have hesitations about how well they will do but I imagine that won't be the case.

there's little artistry in their play, no great guile or fluidity go their football. It's rigid, swift counter attacking football that's effective (up to a point) but, IMO, it's not beautiful and it's not how the great teams play.

Mmmmm.... A little harsh on England there I think.

While Germany controlled the first hour, England did ditto for the last 30 mins with plenty of quality on their part too.

All of England's goals were of a very high technical quality also.

None of us are getting too horny over England, but I think you are a bit blinded to what they offer when they click.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hmmm...... okay then.

Why are you letting yourself get wound up by a troll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Some comeback from England and well deserved win. Amazed how dead and flat Germany were though, even at 2-0 up. When England equalised they had nothing, Can had a nightmare for them and there was no artistry to create chances there at all tonight. They will be stronger than that but a lot of holes were poked in Germanys armour tonight that a lot of countries will look at I'm sure, especially after what they would consider a disappointing qualifying campaign.

Mmmmm.... A little harsh on England there I think.

While Germany controlled the first hour, England did ditto for the last 30 mins with plenty of quality on their part too.

All of England's goals were of a very high technical quality also/.

None of us are getting too horny over England, but I think you are a bit blinded to what they offer when they click.

Sure they offer a counter attacking threat, I'm not denying that and they look very good doing it, they're a threat from set pieces too. Personally I don't think that's enough to win the Euros.

• Advertisement

If you don't think there's anything beautiful in how Alli plays, Kane plays, Kane's goal tonight, Vardy's goal tonight, then I feel sorry for you, as your dogmatic approach to the game blinds you.

Swift, incisive, accurate, attacking football is every bit as beautiful as the intricate stuff Germany, Spain or Barca can do at their best.

Sure they offer a counter attacking threat, I'm not denying that and they look very good doing it, they're a threat from set pieces too. Personally I don't think that's enough to win the Euros.

Greece won it in 2004 with a similar formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I actually thought Eric dier was dutch :eek:

He was born in England but lived in Portugal between 1999 and 2011

SlickRic wrote: »
    If you don't think there's anything beautiful in how Alli plays, Kane plays, Kane's goal tonight, Vardy's goal tonight, then I feel sorry for you, as your dogmatic approach to the game blinds you.

Swift, incisive, accurate, attacking football is every bit as beautiful as the intricate stuff Germany, Spain or Barca can do at their best.

Isn't that a matter of personal taste? Why should I like what you like. Give me a team that can dominate the ball and create over a reactive team any day. Maybe you like something different, fair enough, I can't change that and I don't particularly want to change that.

Were some of the goals nice? Sure, absolutely. The high point in that game for me was the performance of Toni Kroos who was excellent. I can appreciate the good finishing but I suppose I prefer different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

Comprehensively outclassed.

Well done,such an expert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hell of a result for Hodgson.

Well done,such an expert

The hindsight warriors are hilarious.

Yes, at 2-0 they were being comprehensively outplayed. I made that comment at 2-0. Ipso-facto it all makes sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Can't really remember a better goal than Vardy's, that's a 10 on the technical difficulty scale.

England really have no business getting any result here. They've been played off the park. Other than a bit of Kane brilliance, they'd be dead an buried here.

Well done,brilliant analysis there

He was born in England but lived in Portugal between 1999 and 2011

I see. It was just the spelling of his name and, I suppose, he looks a bit dutch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Well done,brilliant analysis there
    Just like your own! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Well done to England on a very impressive fightback. Regardless of how much the German side may have regressed since lifting the World Cup, not too many sides will come back from 2 down against them. In Germany.

Isn't that a matter of personal taste? Why should I like what you like. Give me a team that can dominate the ball and create over a reactive team any day. Maybe you like something different, fair enough, I can't change that and I don't particularly want to change that.

Were some of the goals nice? Sure, absolutely. The high point in that game for me was the performance of Toni Kroos who was excellent. I can appreciate the good finishing but I suppose I prefer different things.

Of course it's personal taste. What bothers me is your assertion that England don't create. They do, and did.

Pressing and counter attacking is not simply 'reactive'. That's a misnomer, and makes what teams like Spurs, Leicester or Dortmund do sound inferior to what Barca, Spain or Germany do. They pick their spots to press, they flood certain channels at certain times, and create by putting players in certain positions at pace. And they need to have excellent technical ability to make it effective.

There's a reason England were quite successful tonight doing it, and haven't necessarily previously. Alli and Kane are excellent footballers with no shortage of technique, and Vardy is supremely clever in how and where he moves at pace.

Just like your own! :pac:

So England didn't deserve this result Francie?

Just quoting this so that if the team who won every qualifier for the Euros goes and wins it that we have you again.

I believe England can win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

What a miss from Alli.

That's his England career over. He'll be substituted now, injury or shame.

You made me laugh while eating my easter egg I opened early and I nearly choked I hope your happy :mad:

He wont worry, his lack of knowledge about football in general is found out every week, never bothered him before

Well that was a fun thread to win, seeing someones balloon burst so badly then trying to prove himself right when his whole world collapsed around him but never stopped digging.
    Delighted for Kane, good Galway man

Just quoting this so that if the team who won every qualifier for the Euros goes and wins it that we have you again.

I believe England can win it.

Great. You think they can win it. They won't, but having beliefs is good I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Great. You think they can win it. They won't, but having beliefs is good I guess.
    You really don't like England, do you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement