Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice

Options
  • 26-03-2016 9:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭

got planning for a new build. ready to start.
    will have a large 0.75acre Lawn and 130meter long driveway.

I have no clue as regards lawn, flowers, trees types, outdoor lighting, etc.

should I hire in a garden designer/landscape architect for a consultation??
    and roughly how much for consultation and sketch? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sterling10

I am in same boat as you, built house 3 years ago and slowly doing the outside myself. I got quoted 600 for a landscape design, others didn't give me a quote without having a meeting first which is understandable, but I never perused it any further with them.
    Mostly I'm just looking at websites and talking to owners in garde centres and getting ideas and putting in the basics. I might need a proper design in the future if I require patio or other feature.

I might go to bloom in the park this year and talk to designers at that for more advice or get another quote now that I know more how I want to place to look and function.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It would be wise to get at least a Site Consultation & perhaps an outline
    design. Expect to pay € 240.00 - € 500.00 (location will affect price. Approaching a large area piecemeal is not a recommended route as ultimately you are likely to end up with an incoherent design, and probably spend more money in drips and drabs. Do also bear in mind that designing a show garden is quite different to doing one in the real world.

An initial 'walk and talk the site' consultation might the best few bob you spend ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭THE DON FANUCCI

It would be wise to get at least a Site Consultation & perhaps an outline
    design. Expect to pay € 240.00 - € 500.00 (location will affect price. Approaching a large area piecemeal is not a recommended route as ultimately you are likely to end up with an incoherent design, and probably spend more money in drips and drabs. Do also bear in mind that designing a show garden is quite different to doing one in the real world.

An initial 'walk and talk the site' consultation might the best few bob you spend ;)

cool thanks. so is it a run of the mill landscaper:confused: i should get? or a garden architect? or are all these the same thing at the end of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

cool thanks. so is it a run of the mill landscaper:confused: i should get? or a garden architect? or are all these the same thing at the end of the day?

Avoid 'run of the mill' anybody, instead you could opt for a 2 stage approach 1 Landscape Architect/Garden Designer and 2. Landscape Co.
    However I would also recommend you consider using a company which offers (but also clearly demonstrates) design & landscaping competencies.

The advantage of using the latter is more efficient and cost effective. Communication lines are more direct facilitating any necessary changes/direct communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

goto Bloom and you will see a lot of design guys in one place and also have a great day out!

http://bloominthepark.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement