Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering 1916

• 26-03-2016 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Walking around Ennis today, Easter Saturday, I was disgusted not to see the tricolour flying at the O'Connell monument. On one flagpole, were two tatty unidentifiable flags fluttered in the wind. The occasional shop flew a tricolour overhead. There seems to be no pride in our flag
    Why do we seem ashamed to fly our national flag? I cannot understand the logic.
    I question what it is that defines us as Irish people, and for me I gravitate towards the tricolour for starters.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this or am I the odd man out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

Didn't we pinch it off the Ivory Coast ? They've a larger population than Ireland, 23 million people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Arkady wrote: »
    Didn't we pinch it off the Ivory Coast ? They've a larger population than Ireland, 23 million people.

Are you actually serious? As in you don't understand what the tricolor actually stands for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

killwill wrote: »
    Are you actually serious? As in you don't understand what the tricolor actually stands for ?

What, the pretend unity, and cog of the french flag ?
    The Ivory Coast is also a far bigger country than Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

We had our flag before they had theirs, which also happens to be a different flag. What do all the random facts about the population and size of a country in Africa add to the thread? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

What has the size of the Ivory Coast got to do with the Irish flag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

I went west to a little place called Knockerra, where they were remembering local volunteers from the Killimer parish area who were involved in the War of Independence. It was organised by the Killimer historical society. I come from the area originally

There was a prayer service and reading of names of men and women involved back then, a reinactment of a local 'incident' from 1919, reading of the proclamation by the school kids, raising of the tricolour, singing the anthem - and tea in the hall!

It was a really great event, my townie kids were so impressed. The capital town should certainly have been able to do something non-political to mark the occasion. Altho i did see the cathairleach of council as guest at state commeration.

Advertisement