Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victim of debit card fraud - DO I need to contact the gardai?

• 26-03-2016 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I was contacted by my bank this morning with some bad news, my current account was basically wiped out through my debit card, close to 10k.

I spoke with the banks fraud department and they explained after the investigation I should get the money back, the transactions were all within a few minutes. The card has been cancelled.

Should I also file a report with the gardai?

Cheers

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

No harm to do that, the bank may well ask you to do this anyway. Ask for a case number and give this to the bank - if the transactions were done in Ireland they may want to liaise with the Gardai on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Sorry to hear that.
    Any idea where they copied the details from?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 whats_up

Toots wrote: »
    No harm to do that, the bank may well ask you to do this anyway. Ask for a case number and give this to the bank - if the transactions were done in Ireland they may want to liaise with the Gardai on it.

I'll call them again tomorrow so and confirm it as they may do so themselves, I don't know.
    The payments were to some Irish, Canadian and other companies.
    okidoki987 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that.
    Any idea where they copied the details from?

Haven't a clue, paying directly with card on some websites maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The bank usually send forms to be signed and filled out also including a section to be stamped by your local Garda station and the Guards will investigate as they go after the fraud part.

That is so annoying but have to say the few times money has been taken the banks were good and quick at returning money.

You will be asked the likes of did you take the money, make any transaction, did you allow anyone else use your card, do you know who used your card. Etc.

Horrible thing to happen but good it was spotted quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

No definitely not......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

moneymad wrote: »
    No definitely not......

Not sure if this is a joke or serious advice, but either way ignore it. You should contact the Gardaí, the fraud team there are excellent and are in touch with similar teams in other countries. If there's an international element to this they may be able to get help from their counterparts. It may not directly help you, but it might help prevent others getting caught out in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

whats_up wrote: »
    I was contacted by my bank this morning with some bad news, my current account was basically wiped out through my debit card, close to 10k.

I spoke with the banks fraud department and they explained after the investigation I should get the money back, the transactions were all within a few minutes. The card has been cancelled.

Should I also file a report with the gardai?

Cheers

Can you charge 10k to a debit card? There was limits of 600 a day with say laser in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Zaph wrote: »
    Not sure if this is a joke or serious advice, but either way ignore it. You should contact the Gardaí, the fraud team there are excellent and are in touch with similar teams in other countries. If there's an international element to this they may be able to get help from their counterparts. It may not directly help you, but it might help prevent others getting caught out in the future.

It's obviously a joke. Who doesn't contact the guards after having ten thousand stolen?

doc11 wrote: »
    Can you charge 10k to a debit card? There was limits of 600 a day with say laser in the past.

Some have different limits but tranfers is around 25k

doc11 wrote: »

Evidently you can...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

moneymad wrote: »
    No definitely not......

Perhaps save the comedy stylings for open mic night. If you want to post here, keep it constructive in future

I spoke with the banks fraud department again today and they said that given it was online fraud, rather than the theft of the card that their internal department will be able to handle it on my behalf.

I plan to stop in to my local garda station regardless and speak with them just to be sure, if they suggest I speak to the garda fraud department I will.

Cheers lads

whats_up wrote: »
    I spoke with the banks fraud department again today and they said that given it was online fraud, rather than the theft of the card that their internal department will be able to handle it on my behalf.

I plan to stop in to my local garda station regardless and speak with them just to be sure, if they suggest I speak to the garda fraud department I will.

Cheers lads

No need they wont care unless bank looks for their assistance.

Advertisement