Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alarm constantly going off

Options
  • 26-03-2016 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

I live in an apartment block. Whenever there is wind, the alarm in an apartment in the adjacent block goes off every 30 mins for about 15 minutes.

I rang the management company who said they may not have details for the apartment so cant do anything about it. I find that hard to believe as whoever owns it has to pay management fees.

I rang the garda who said theres nothing they can do either. i asked about noise pollution, disturbing peace or any way it can be investigated but nothing.

So bottom line is we have to listen to an alarm go off all night.

What can i do about an alarm going off constantly? Is there anyone it can be reported to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    I live in an apartment block. Whenever there is wind, the alarm in an apartment in the adjacent block goes off every 30 mins for about 15 minutes.

I rang the management company who said they may not have details for the apartment so cant do anything about it. I find that hard to believe as whoever owns it has to pay management fees.

I rang the garda who said theres nothing they can do either. i asked about noise pollution, disturbing peace or any way it can be investigated but nothing.

What can i do about an alarm going off constantly? Is there anyone it can be reported to?

Local council. Leave or post a letter if you can find the apartment number.

The council has powers for noise.

It must only should only sound once for around 20 minutes but the inside sounder/bell will stay active along with an outer beacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

It must only should only sound once for around 20 minutes but the inside sounder/bell will stay active along with an outer beacon.

thanks, il try to find the apartment number.

The alarm does indeed go off for about 15-20 minutes, then turns off for a while, about 30 mins but then turns back on for another 15-20 mins, and keeps going with this cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

do ring the council but at the same time they are useless they ask you to initiate court proceedings in order to deal with noise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

TBH I've had alarms going off constantly. I've resorted to means without the bounds of the forum.

I can't think of anything more pointless than an unmonitored burglar alarm that's set when no one's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

fret_wimp2 wrote: »

Report it to the PSA. Give them the name of the alarm company and the name of the owners of building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

JillyQ wrote: »
    Report it to the PSA. Give them the name of the alarm company and the name of the owners of building.

Does the Private Security Authority have jurisdiction to investigate a third party complaint about an installed alarm? Completely genuine question - I've just had a look on their website (www.psa.gov.ie) and can't find anything that's clear that they can. It would seem slightly odd to me, because the alarm company could easily be licensed, but once installed it's outside their control: the owner may not have had the alarm serviced or upgraded, and is ultimately responsible for having the alarm maintained.

As far as I knew, which may be out of date, it's still a function of the local authority as a noise complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

TBH I've had alarms going off constantly. I've resorted to means without the bounds of the forum.

I can't think of anything more pointless than an unmonitored burglar alarm that's set when no one's there.

You have insurance issues if you don't have it on

Plenty of houses don't have and never had an alarm so I don't see much issue with insurance. I think alarms are the greatest waste of time going, they are nothing but a very regular and annoying form of noise pollution.

dreamerb wrote: »
    Does the Private Security Authority have jurisdiction to investigate a third party complaint about an installed alarm? Completely genuine question - I've just had a look on their website (www.psa.gov.ie) and can't find anything that's clear that they can. It would seem slightly odd to me, because the alarm company could easily be licensed, but once installed it's outside their control: the owner may not have had the alarm serviced or upgraded, and is ultimately responsible for having the alarm maintained.

As far as I knew, which may be out of date, it's still a function of the local authority as a noise complaint.

Yes they do. There is supposed to be at least two preventive maintenance calls done per year. If the alarm is monitored it must be installed to both NSAI & PSA standards, this includes the maintance. If as the op has suggested this has been going on for a number of months, it sounds to me like the alarm is not being maintained properly. Noise complaints are still with the local authority.

Yes they do. There is supposed to be at least two preventive maintenance calls done per year. If the alarm is monitored it must be installed to both NSAI & PSA standards, this includes the maintance. If as the op has suggested this has been going on for a number of months, it sounds to me like the alarm is not being maintained properly. Noise complaints are still with the local authority.
    I think you're making some presumptions here - most importantly, that the alarm is monitored, of which there is no evidence (rather, indicative evidence to the contrary I'd have thought). And I don't think there's any requirement on an alarm installer to carry out preventive maintenance, on a non-monitored alarm at least, unless there is a specific ongoing contract.

Noise is the issue, not anything else, so I doubt a third party would have any basis on which to make a complaint to the PSA.

• Advertisement

dreamerb wrote: »
    I think you're making some presumptions here - most importantly, that the alarm is monitored, of which there is no evidence (rather, indicative evidence to the contrary I'd have thought). And I don't think there's any requirement on an alarm installer to carry out preventive maintenance, on a non-monitored alarm at least, unless there is a specific ongoing contract.

Noise is the issue, not anything else, so I doubt a third party would have any basis on which to make a complaint to the PSA.

If the alarm is installed by a licenced installer, regardless of whether it is monitored or not there must be two preventive maintenance calls per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭wench

Only if you've claimed a discount on your premium for having an alarm.
    Otherwise you're free to leave your neighbours in peace.

If the alarm is installed by a licenced installer, regardless of whether it is monitored or not there must be two preventive maintenance calls per year.
    I don't think that's right - it's certainly not retrospectively required for domestic installations. That would require home-owners to have ongoing contracts, and that isn't the case. I don't have maintenance calls, and haven't paid for them. If this is a more recent requirement, can you point out the relevant legislation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would imagine that is a recommendation rather than a requirement. A pm call will cost the householder money. How does one force the householder to pay for and accommodate these calls?
    What are the consequences where they don't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Collegewood???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

JillyQ wrote:

This isn't the case at all. The alarm companies would be absolutely delighted if it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dial Hard wrote: »
    This isn't the case at all. The alarm companies would be absolutely delighted if it was.

It should be mandatory. Might make people think twice before installing the useless things in the first place.
    They can drive you mad if you have a particularly inconsiderate neighbour (which I had twice unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Pawwed Rig wrote:
    It should be mandatory. Might make people think twice before installing the useless things in the first place. They can drive you mad if you have a particularly inconsiderate neighbour (which I had twice unfortunately).

You're preaching to the choir here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Going slightly off topic here but it's amazing what a constant house alarm can do to your health.

I lived in an estate in Maynooth for 10 years with CONSTANT house alarms going off. I was slowly losing my mind. I got so bad that I couldn't sleep at night.

Eventually, the noise drove me out. I moved to the countryside and almost wept with joy at finally getting a nights sleep without the constant racket in my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

What would happen if you played really loud music constantly , is there also not much neighbors can do ?

• Advertisement

What would happen if you played really loud music constantly , is there also not much neighbors can do ?

Depends. If the place is rented they can make a complaint to the PRTB against the landlord who is obliged to deal with it or face sanction (no consequences for the toerag causing the issue). With an owner occupier it is more complicated and you really need to go down the legal route by filing nuisance reports. It would be a long road though with a very uncertain outcome so one is probably best off moving (sadly). Luckily most people are considerate of their neighbours. It is always good to be on friendly terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

I recommend ear plugs for your sanity as a temporary measure until you figure out who to contact. We've had this issue before but luckily our management company assisted us by contacting the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

A relative of mine who works shifts had a similar problem in a housing estate... One of the owners of another house had an alarm that was constantly going off during the day when the owner was at work. One day, after a 14 hour shift ending at 7am, said relative was home trying to sleep and was being woken every 45 minutes by the alarm... Decided enough was enough. Knew where the neighbours worked so went to their place of business and bawled them out of it for being such an ignorant prick...

Alarm hasn't gone off since!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Plenty of houses don't have and never had an alarm so I don't see much issue with insurance. I think alarms are the greatest waste of time going, they are nothing but a very regular and annoying form of noise pollution.

Unless you're living in a community that keeps an eye on each other.

Elderly neighbours alarm went off last summer, turns out a pack of <snip> had broken in to her house and were still in the house when she arrived home. Myself and other neighbours chased them down whilst in contact with the Gardai and kept tracking them until the Gardai arrived.

Five lads in custody for the night. Strong statements from neighbours had them locked up because of the alarm.

Advertisement