Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone with no sim card

• 27-03-2016 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi, maybe somebody on here will be able to give me some information.

I currently have a basic Nokia phone which I use for calls and texts (think it is a 108). I was thinking of investing in a smart phone. However, I'm wondering if I should bother as the main reason for wanting one is for a decent camera and to be able to use the internet where free wi fi is available. I would not really need internet all the time so I'm a bit reluctant to sign up to a data plan.

My friend gave me an old Samsung smartphone which he no longer uses (there is no sim card in it). As far as I understand, I would not be able to put my sim card in this phone and continue on on my current tariff. That is fair enough.

However, I seem to be able to use the internet on the phone in my apartment through my upc connection. Would I be able to use the internet for free using this phone where an internet connection is available (in the same way I could use a laptop or tablet). I assume that there would be no charge to him if his sim card is now in a new phone. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If there's no sim in the phone, you're just using your local wifi and your friend won't get charged for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I don't see why you can't try and put your own sim card into it. Even if you don't have data plans you can still get your calls and texts. You can set the phone also to only use data when on a wifi.
    And yes you can use the Internet on the phone even without a sim whenever you are on a wifi be that at home on your own or any of the free WiFi Hotspots available in cafes or towns.

morgana wrote: »
    I don't see why you can't try and put your own sim card into it. Even if you don't have data plans you can still get your calls and texts. You can set the phone also to only use data when on a wifi.
    And yes you can use the Internet on the phone even without a sim whenever you are on a wifi be that at home on your own or any of the free WiFi Hotspots available in cafes or towns.

Basic Nokia implies an old phone with an old sim that's unlikely to work in a modern smartphone. I'm sure the OPs mobile provider would have no problem providing a new sim without a data plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

A friend of mine uses a sim card that is positively ancient (a very dated O2 card, and she was using an old Nokia before :P) - and its works without problems in a smartphone. No harm in trying. And yes, the provider will replace the SIM if needed - they do it all the time as the new smaller (micro, nano) SIM card sizes become more and more common and the old cards don't have the precut sizes.

(On a side note, I had to had my old TEsco Mobile card replaced for that reason and the person at the TEso Mobile shop at Paul Street Tesco Cork managed to factory reset my old phone while trying to transfer the sim card contents to the new one, I won't let them handle my phones ever again, lol.)

morgana wrote: »
    No harm in trying.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah just use the smartphone with wifi

He's not getting charged at all

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement