Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange expierience at main dealer

• 27-03-2016 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Il try and describe this as best I can :)

Viewed and drove a second hand car (12 VW CC) on Thursday at a very well known multi franchise main dealer in Limerick. (Trade in and cash)

Price was good, trade in price for my own was fair, milage was average, car drove nice and motorcheck showed no issues. Paint work was ok but was ran through the cheapest of car washes a few times and had some scrapes and marks on the chrome.

Talked to the sales man at length regarding the car and was told it would be fully serviced and will come with a 2 year main dealer warranty. (Which sealed it for me TBH)

Went along Sat morning with the Wife to have another look and do a deal. Took it out with the saleman and everything was fine.

Came back to the showroom, sat down, said I was interested and what was the story with deposit figures, how long before the car would be ready and to see if I could get a few quid off due to the car needing a good professional clean and polish.

In the middle of this the salesman decides he needs to make a quick call and returns to inform us that the car in fact was not being sold by the garage but on behalf of someone else, so he was now unsure of the story with the warranty and he needed to talk to the manager (who was away) to see what type of warranty they could give and would contact me Tuesday.

What do you make of this? Should I run a mile and not look back?

I was going to wait and see what type of warranty im getting and at least consider it but why did he wait until I decided I wanted to buy to come out with this!!

Sorry about the long rant, any opinions would be great thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

In the middle of this the salesman decides he needs to make a quick call and returns to inform us...
    Oldest trick in the book. *I have to ask the boss about that. "

If the car has a 5 year warranty, and is being sold by a main dealer, the warranty should transfer to you. Warranty can/will depend on service history.

Don't be arguing about cheap car wash marks, unless they are gross. Wax on, wax off...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Some distributor backed warranties only work on used cars that were traded in against a new/nearly new car and cannot be used on cars bought in by the garage.
    I don't think a CC would have had a 5 year warranty, and I can't see a garage covering a used car for 2 years unless it's a 3rd party/distributor backed warranty
    Better you found out that the 2 year warranty is void before taking/paying for the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Some distributor backed warranties only work on used cars that were traded in against a new/nearly new car and cannot be used on cars bought in by the garage.
    I don't think a CC would have had a 5 year warranty, and I can't see a garage covering a used car for 2 years unless it's a 3rd party/distributor backed warranty
    Better you found out that the 2 year warranty is void before taking/paying for the car.

They came with 2 years warranty, with a 3rd year warranty from 2013.

Right now with Skoda one can purchase additional years, up to 5 years. But could not find such option for VWs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

yes agree with warranty,thought second hand might have/had 3 or 6 month warranty.do dealers give a years warranty?

Yes, a lot do. Especially main dealers.

Volkswagen dealers do a 2 year used car warranty. I'd imagine it's only on trade-ins rather than buy-ins. This is certainly the case on other brands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

I was told that there would be the regular 12 month warranty (which is all I expected tbh) that they give on all used cars and that was being extended by a further 12 months by VW as its one of the cars caught up in the emissions craic (goodwill gesture I think he said) and would need the software update (which would be done when being serviced)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

only found out last week msl are closing and frank keane taking over.more motor trade changes.

The 2 year warranty just covers vws newer than 2011. No mention of the emissions scandal, or diesel cars only, just all used vws 2011 onwards.

Im beginning to think il be getting a call Tuesday to be told the car is being sold 'as is'.

id guess they'll give you 12 months from themselves as opposed to a distributor backed one.
    how does the car compare to others from vw dealers?

• Advertisement

how does the car compare to others from vw dealers?

Have not been to any other VW dealer or looked at any other VW cars Tbh. (Was on the lookout for Accords, Mazda 6s and A4s up to now)

Main gripe here is being told theres a 2 year warranty and as soon as I decide to buy im told theres probably not and its being sold for someone by the dealer.

Come to to think of it will they accept a trade in if its being sold on behalf of someone else?

Thanks for the replys so far.

Nobody else (as in non VW) will realistically give you a 2 year warranty on a used car, so stay rational about it. Sounds like it could be a genuine mistake. Getting 2 years is def not on the cards on this car by the sounds of it.

If the warranty appeals then find another CC in the VW network as you'll be able to get what you want.

Would you have bought it if he told you up front that the warranty was a head, or did the 2 year thing change your mind over having an a4, Mazda, accord etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BMW dealers will give you a 2 year warranty on used BMWs if the car meets certain criteria. You will pay for it though in the price of the car.

Would you have bought it if he told you up front that the warranty was a head, or did the 2 year thing change your mind over having an a4, Mazda, accord etc?

Would love a CC but anyone with decent milage/condition iv seen up to now was over my budget so had not considered one for a while.

Had he said it was being sold 'as is' then I wouldn't have came back, 1 year warranty is fine (and what I expected) but when he said 2 years it definetly made me want to stretch my budget a little further.

Just looked at the dealers website there: Car is up and has the Das WeltAuto banner over all the pics and a separate pic of all the Das WeltAuto benefits, which has 1 year warranty as its first point.

No contact from the dealer today and not going chasing them either, something is not right here so gonna move on to something else.

Most dealers will not bother ringing you back, some just don't bother while others want to gauge how interested you actually are in the car by seeing if you ring them back.

bazz26 wrote: »
    while others want to gauge how interested you actually are in the car by seeing if you ring them back.

Took 2 test drives and I was sitting down with them on Sat having a agreed to buy when they pulled this craic so they know I want it.

Made contact.

Car is in fact being sold on behalf of another customer and was offering to sell me a mapfre warranty with it.
    (Car is on their site advertised with all the Das Welt Auto bells and whistles)

My search continues ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Whats the being sold on behalf of a customer thing about ? Does it suit the dealer tax or vat wise...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Nah, you get customers who buy stuff off you regularly, they're selling up but not buying anything to replace. Usually you agree that you'd sell it for them and keep anything beyond a certain price for the garage. Garage isn't buying the car off the seller until it's sold to the buyer.
    Because it's not being traded in for another VW, they can't use the VW warranty.
    Mapfre warranty wouldn't cover nearly as much as a VW warranty

• Advertisement

Imo the likes of a Mapfree third party warranty is a kind of safety card for the dealer to tell you go away when there is an issue with the car. Best move on imo.

Advertisement