Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Market

Options
  • 27-03-2016 5:34am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭

I'm going to a gig in the Marquee this summer, I'm staying in Jurys, Anderson Quay. Is it walking distance and what are the sit down food places like in the market. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I'm going to a gig in the Marquee this summer, I'm staying in Jurys, Anderson Quay. Is it walking distance and what are the sit down food places like in the market. Thanks!

The Marquee is about 20/25 mins walk from Jury's which is obviously walkable if you're in good working order. As for the market, I'm assuming The English market. There are small cafes dotted around, but I've never been in any. The bigger one is The Farmgate Cafe which has a great reputation, but again I've never eaten there. There are many fantastic cafes and restaurants around the city though so your options are not limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

Don't get too excited about it. Butchers .fish mongers and cake shops make up most of place. Nice enough to walk through but nothing to get excited about. Plenty of other places around city to visit. Not an expert on good places myself .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Its Cork , everything's in walking distance.... the farmgate is the the main sit down restaurant/ cafe , great spot , its upstairs on the princes street side, and you look down on the market below..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

What's needed is a restaurant recommendation thread! And an online map type thing that calculates the distance between two places!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread (multipage.png1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
    Try this one on boards.ie.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

goochy wrote: »
    Don't get too excited about it. Butchers .fish mongers and cake shops make up most of place. Nice enough to walk through but nothing to get excited about. Plenty of other places around city to visit. Not an expert on good places myself .

What exactly do you want in a market...? A marching band and set of cheerleaders? Clue is in the name. :rolleyes:

op, jury's is in the city, and is wakling distance to nearly everything. What day of the week is your gig (less open on a sunday/monday) and what kind of food do you like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

pwurple wrote: »
    What exactly do you want in a market...? A marching band and set of cheerleaders? Clue is in the name. :rolleyes:

op, jury's is in the city, and is wakling distance to nearly everything. What day of the week is your gig (less open on a sunday/monday) and what kind of food do you like?

Gig is on a Wedneday. I'm not a fussy eater, I wouldn't mind some pub grub? Can you recommend any pubs for some food and pre-gig pints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Give it a rest. Do you need someone to hold your hand crossing the roads too!

Do a search for pub grub in Cork.

Close this thread I'd say. He can go back to his other thread about Cork.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057577012/1

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Jaysus! Maybe the OP was right in the other thread & there is a lot of anti-Dubln sentiment around (in your post anyway). :p

@OP - As others have said, everything is in walking distance in Cork. Try the aforementioned Restaurant Recommendations thread. I was given great advice there recently.

As for anti-Dublin feeling - what a load of crap. I've been going to Cork on & off for years & not once have I seen any evidence of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

Apologies for kcb. He's an ass. Back me up on this mod.
    I am a dub living in cork 9 years and love it. Just don't be cocky like many dubs. i am not so have been accepted .There's loads of us down here .
    cork people are great when they get to know you - the city people are like dubs just not quite as cocky. I prefer the country people but they are more stand offish than say Galway or limerick people but great when I break through the barrier !

Regarding the English market . It's nice enough but as said there's too many butcher's and other mainstream stalls

• Advertisement

goochy wrote: »
    Apologies for kcb. He's an ass. Back me up on this mod.
    I am a dub living in cork 9 years and love it. Just don't be cocky like many dubs. i am not so have been accepted .There's loads of us down here .
    cork people are great when they get to know you - the city people are like dubs just not quite as cocky. I prefer the country people but they are more stand offish than say Galway or limerick people but great when I break through the barrier !

Regarding the English market . It's nice enough but as said there's too many butcher's and other mainstream stalls
    Well, it is a market after all. Scoozis is a good place to eat, also Market lane all within 5 minutes walking of each other and the right side of the city for your gig. Food places in the market close early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

That's some planning ahead OP! The English Market is more of a lunch spot than dinner really. Keep an eye on the restaurant recommendations thread here for the next few months and you'll have loads of ideas when you get here.

s://www.facebook.com/ScooziRestaurant/?rf=128722517194062
    http://www.marketlane.ie/
    w.google.ie/search?q=salt&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=vxj5VsrDHISrU-qiiqAN#q=salt&rflfq=1&rlha=0&tbm=lcl&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:2&rlfi=hd:;si:
    Any of these 3 will get you sorted. Plenty of other places around as well, you'll have to go online yourself, it's the easiest way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Gig is on a Wedneday. I'm not a fussy eater, I wouldn't mind some pub grub? Can you recommend any pubs for some food and pre-gig pints?

Gallaghers on bridge street does great pub grub. Really good food there, and nice welcoming atmosphere.

For pre gig pints you have some good spots on the way to the marquee...

Idle hour, the sextant, goldbergs. Bit of a wee pub crawl there for you. The sextant and goldbergs both do food as well. Sextant has barbeques, but i'm not sure how many nights a week. Goldbergs I think does food all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Must say it's a new one on me seeing people complain about too many butchers and fish mongers in the English Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Markcheese

namloc1980 wrote:
    Must say it's a new one on me seeing people complain about too many butchers and fish mongers in the English Market.

The problem with food markets is all the food... the english market is what it is because of the butchers,fish mongers,veg stalls ect.. its nice to see the cheese, olive ,bread and cake stalls ect.. but the core of it is the staples , have lunch on the balcony of the farmgate looking down or a coffee sitting at mary roses and watch the world for a bit...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

namloc1980 wrote: »

It's bizarre. It's success is as a market. Not as a glorified food court. In fairness, the management have done well to ensure that the appropriate balance is kept. Plenty of places to get your coffee and muffins elsewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Is there any way we can behave like grown ups? No response needed, think before you post.

Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You could stroll down and Goldbergs is on your way. Call in for a pint and some food. The sextant is on the way too. They could be v busy if a big gig. Gallaghers on Mccurtain st is the other direction but wouldn't be as busy. On Mccurtain street you have a few other options. White rabbit for BBQ, Son of a Bun for burgers.

Market lane is nice on oliver plunket street but you need to put your name down and wait for a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

The english market is a market just as it always was.. There is a nice cafe but it isnt a cafe place OP it is a market for buying mostly fresh foods..

As Pwurple mentioned you could call into the Sextant or Goldbergs on the way down to the Marquee if you are walking and you wont be dissappointed they do a great selection. Knowing them they would probably put on a bus too bring you up and down to the marquee but anyway you wont have far to walk. There is one other tapas place salt a little further up but i cant say i would recommend it, overpriced for what it is..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

Ok, thanks for the advice folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

OP plenty of eateries up around McCurtain street worth looking into as an option also

• Registered Users Posts: 13,564 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Never going there again. 3 hour car trip to Cork, wanting a bite to eat and do a bit of knick-knack shopping. Go over to the Market. One toilet. ONE. Unisex.

I mean, this is crazy. Dozens of food and drink shops over a multi-block space, and *ONE* toilet? The upstairs restaurant has no public toilets. I was sorely tempted to use a wall, but left the place and eventually went to a coffee shop.

Not going back. Whoever runs this place has a severe lack of understanding of how to run a business. Oh, I tried their online feedback form, it's 404. Nice.

Avoid it. Telling everyone we know, including tourist guests and friends, it's not worth it. Fortunately there are some good shops in the area and a few places to eat. But don't go to the English Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Was there a queue or something?

Yes it's a bit of a disaster from that point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Bear in mind that a lot of the city centre restaurants and cafes tend to use the English market as their collective central supply, a bit more like a continental city.

You'll get pretty excellent food around the city centre if you browse the menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Igotadose wrote: »
    Never going there again. 3 hour car trip to Cork, wanting a bite to eat and do a bit of knick-knack shopping. Go over to the Market. One toilet. ONE. Unisex.

I mean, this is crazy. Dozens of food and drink shops over a multi-block space, and *ONE* toilet? The upstairs restaurant has no public toilets. I was sorely tempted to use a wall, but left the place and eventually went to a coffee shop.

Not going back. Whoever runs this place has a severe lack of understanding of how to run a business. Oh, I tried their online feedback form, it's 404. Nice.

Avoid it. Telling everyone we know, including tourist guests and friends, it's not worth it. Fortunately there are some good shops in the area and a few places to eat. But don't go to the English Market.

I would describe what happened to you as an inconvenience, not a morally scandalous outrage. Yes, the toilet facilities could be better, but get some perspective. It's a fantastic facility in the city, probably the best indoor market on the island, and you want to campaign against it because the toilet facilities are not up to standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You might as well say don't walk around the streets of Cork or do your groceries in Tesco even cause there's only one public toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,564 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

mire wrote: »
    I would describe what happened to you as an inconvenience, not a morally scandalous outrage. Yes, the toilet facilities could be better, but get some perspective. It's a fantastic facility in the city, probably the best indoor market on the island, and you want to campaign against it because the toilet facilities are not up to standard.

Standard? How about 'nonexistent?' Simple queuing problem, really. How many customers per hour go through the market, and what percentage want to use the toilet per hour? Then, if you want to do business in your shop, you'll have enough capacity so that customers don't have to leave.

Or, you can be the English Market, and not particularly care. Oh well. It's their business (not one I'm going to support anymore.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Omg. UNISEX!

The ultimate insult.

Advertisement