Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3T Carbon 'aero' handlebars

Options
  • 27-03-2016 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi guys,
    I recently put a set of 3T Carbon aero handlebars into my bike. I had to drop the bike to local mechanic to find a creak (no related to the bars).
    The mechanic asked me if the bars were a cheap Chinese copy, as he said they have huge 'flex' in them. I had noticed this before, but now it is really apparent. Especially when climbing out of the saddle. I can move the bottom of the drops about 1 or 2 cm by pushing them inwards. This is really really causing me concern
    I have not much confidence in standing out of the saddle and giving her welly on the climbs as a result
    Anyone else seen this before..?
    For what it's worth they were bought from one of the big German online shops (24). Also I am 15 stone, and they are way above my ability, but I always liked the feel of the flat top section

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

First off, I would be very confident that Bike 24 haven't sold you a counterfeit set of handlebars. Having said that I wouldn't be at all happy cycling on bars that seem to have excessive flex in them - even if they're fine it would be constantly on my mind and would spoil my enjoyment of the bike. And if they are faulty the result of a failure could be catastrophic! Personally I would take them off, replace them with a cheap set of alloy bars and ship them back to Bike24 for their appraisal!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AlanConnolly

Thanks CP3O
    I should prob have stated in my original post that I am in no way suggesting that Bike24 sold me counterfeit bars ~ just to clarify ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Yes I think I will replace the bars and regain my confidence

Must also have a look at the 3T site and see if they state a maximum rider weight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd imagine your weight might play a part in it but that's still a lot of flex.

If you like the flat top aero bars Easton do an aluminium version I think it was ea90/70 aero bars. I have a set and they're very comfortable when you've your hands on to of the bars.

Sorry about the late reply on this. Where has the year gone 😀
    Anyway, problem was sorted. I contacted 3T about the bars. The requested a mechanics report, which I gave them (courtesy of my LBS)
    3T send me confirmation to contact the original sellers who swooped them bars for another pair of carbon (not aero flat top) bars with no hassle.

Kudos to 3T, and my LBS

ALAN

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sorry about the late reply on this. Where has the year gone 😀
    Anyway, problem was sorted. I contacted 3T about the bars. The requested a mechanics report, which I gave them (courtesy of my LBS)
    3T send me confirmation to contact the original sellers who swooped them bars for another pair of carbon (not aero flat top) bars with no hassle.

Kudos to 3T, and my LBS

ALAN

Did the LBS mechanic or Bike24 confirm that the bars were defective?

• Advertisement

Yes, the LBS Mechanic (Hi John ðŸ‘ðŸ») wrote a report stating that in his opinion the bars were not fit for purpose etc etc

3T did not dispute the fact in any manner of form at all. They were happy to replace same, especially as I had a video of the bars flexing. They prob didn't want the video to appear on any social media sites. It didn't

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Can't argue with customer service like that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i think you're better off if there were any doubts, i still have a long scar in my arm from where my carbon bar sheared in a crash and went into my arm. that got me quite a few stitches

IMG_20150627_123025nopm_zpsptg6qwoy.jpg

i put the same carbon 3t bars on agian, i'm still confident in carbon bars, but if i had a pair that i wasn't sure of i'd be swapping straight away

Advertisement