Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring somebody to negotiate

Options
  • 27-03-2016 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,
    In the market for a house, but can honestly say that dealing with auctioneers is my least favourite thing in the world. Especially when it comes to 'making an offer'. I don't have a huge budget and this is why I need somebody to keep the price low. So I was wondering if you could hire a competitor estate agent/professional negotiator to deal with all the back and forth stuff. Has anyone done this? If so, was it worth it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

At one stage I engaged a buyers agent to negotiate on my behalf.

A second time the agent selling my own house agreed to place bids on my behalf.
    Neither worked out. The buyers agent route is expensive though - they take a percentage of the purchase price on a successful purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

We dont have US style "brokers" in Ireland. They are effective in the US and excellent for cities like NYC, where they can find you a rent controlled apartment or negotiate an estate agent who is being unreasonable. IMO they are most effective in the sense they can offer you an unbiased opinion of an estate agent and know their tricks. In Ireland, you basically have no character reference on the estate agent you are dealing with.

Your best option is to make an offer that you think is conservative and be willing to walk away if it isnt accepted. If you are really keen on a house you could get a third party valuation to get an educated guess on its real value

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Twilliger wrote: »
    Hi all,
    In the market for a house, but can honestly say that dealing with auctioneers is my least favourite thing in the world. Especially when it comes to 'making an offer'. I don't have a huge budget and this is why I need somebody to keep the price low. So I was wondering if you could hire a competitor estate agent/professional negotiator to deal with all the back and forth stuff. Has anyone done this? If so, was it worth it.

huh, you make offers you can afford and thats about the height of it. whats to worry over. if you have done your research you will have a fair idea of the market value and you can pitch in a little below that assuming it is in your financial range

Advertisement