Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

IBT Module 1,3,5 South Dublin Recommendations

• 27-03-2016 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi All,

Back story I did my theory in 2007 when I was 16/17

Got a 125cc and rode it for 2 years. Stopped riding than for a few years

Got my 3rd provisional in 2015 when I was 25 and booked my full test, driving a Bandit 600cc now.

I did not realise I had to do IBT as I got my theory in 2007 before the rules came in, but since i was under 18 the theory only gave me A1 license, So my A license was deemed "new" in 2015. So I was just waiting the 6 months for my full test, when the letter never came I emailed RSA and they said no test date would be given until they get my IBT module 1,3,5 results.

So here I am, looking for some recommendations for IBT Module 1,3,5 - bare in mind I have been driving 125ccs for 2 years, and a 600cc for 1 year - So I have a lot of experience etc

Is there anyway that I bypass the beginner stuff?

Any info would be appreciated

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

You officially have to cover everything including the basics, but I'm sure a good instructor could tailor it to your experience and focus on advanced riding techniques .etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

Pugzilla wrote: »
    You officially have to cover everything including the basics, but I'm sure a good instructor could tailor it to your experience and focus on advanced riding techniques .etc.

Thanks for that - may I ask is it IBT all 1 on 1 or can it be done in a group?

Is it done over weekends or can be done midweek?

Any recommendations and prices I should be looking at would be excellent

Cheers

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Don't know about the instructors in Dublin. It is possible do it in a group to save money.

It can be done whenever your instructor is available. It can also be condensed into 2 days or spread out into smaller sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Michael Ganly

Msa Ireland

087 257 8136

I'd recommend him to anyone. Will tailor your requirements also does advanced driving if needed.

I passed first time out with the grim reaper of testers :)

listermint wrote: »
    Michael Ganly

Msa Ireland

087 257 8136

I'd recommend him to anyone. Will tailor your requirements also does advanced driving if needed.

I passed first time out with the grim reaper of testers :)

Thanks for that.

Can I ask what would the rough amount I would expect to pay for Module 1,3,5 and do they provide the bike and gear, or must I use my own bike and gear?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Wood

Tony Agnew

http://www.irishmotorcycletraining.com/

Absolute gentleman and the patience of a saint. You won't go wrong. Price list is on the site

Thanks for the info

So after a look about looks like the prices are 450-500 ish for module 1,3,5? Seems very expensive...

Is there any other cheaper hidden gems about, I would probably need to do by ibt during the week as have sport on weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I did my IBT in January at ADS school of motoring near Tallaght. I paid full whack but I've a friend who found a groupon/pigsback? deal for half price awhile back so if you've the time then maybe keep an eye out for one.

As regards the quality of the instructor, I only did it the once so have no others to compare it to but I was very happy with the instructor, patient, easy to understand and seems like a sound bloke.
    Also managed to get a decent discount buying gear (helmet, gloves etc) at the place he recommended which was a bonus.

All that said, I'm a wobbling fledgling and wouldn't know the difference between a good and bad instructor.

Peetrik wrote: »
    I did my IBT in January at ADS school of motoring near Tallaght. I paid full whack but I've a friend who found a groupon/pigsback? deal for half price awhile back so if you've the time then maybe keep an eye out for one.

As regards the quality of the instructor, I only did it the once so have no others to compare it to but I was very happy with the instructor, patient, easy to understand and seems like a sound bloke.
    Also managed to get a decent discount buying gear (helmet, gloves etc) at the place he recommended which was a bonus.

All that said, I'm a wobbling fledgling and wouldn't know the difference between a good and bad instructor.

Thanks for that,

Have you done you full test yet?

Going to need to get gear myself = know anywhere to get some affordable stuff? I presume they wont test you unless your fully geared up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

pittsburgh wrote: »
    Have you done you full test yet?

Going to need to get gear myself = know anywhere to get some affordable stuff?

No, only been on the bike a few months.

I got most of my gear second hand off adverts, the helmet I bought new as I wanted to be sure of it and the gloves I bought new because I'm a delicate snowflake and wanted warm hands from goretex/windproof/etc protection haha.

As I said, I'm an utter beginner, I'm sure the good folk on here can point you in the right direction for cheaper gear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement