Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Connell Standing Stone

Options
  • 27-03-2016 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi. I wonder does anyone have directions or know exactly where Great Connell standing stone is? I'm very interested in megalithic sites, standing stones, stone circles etc. I've seen most of the ones around County Kildare, but only recently became aware of the Great Connell one, even though I live in Newbridge. Its mentioned on the Kildare County development plan and pictures on some websites but no directions. thanks in advance for any info. Mary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

marymary wrote: »
    Hi. I wonder does anyone have directions or know exactly where Great Connell standing stone is? I'm very interested in megalithic sites, standing stones, stone circles etc. I've seen most of the ones around County Kildare, but only recently became aware of the Great Connell one, even though I live in Newbridge. Its mentioned on the Kildare County development plan and pictures on some websites but no directions. thanks in advance for any info. Mary

A quick google gave me a geo code, google maps suggests it's just south of the m7/m9 split.

53°10'11.5"N 6°44'32.1"W
    https://goo.gl/maps/AcwurxHTGbG2

The geo code came from http://www.megalithicmonumentsofireland.com/COUNTIES/KILDARE/GreatConnell_StandingStone.html

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 24 marymary

Thanks for that Paddy. I'll take a drive out that way tomorrow and see if I can Find it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

marymary, I'ld love to know where are some others in Co Kildare if you wouldn't mind please, especially any in north Kildare. My young fella is doing this in History at school at the moment and would love to take a spin to show him a few. Am not native to Co Kildare and don't know of any. Tia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

This stone is on private land, i know the family very well and one is a member here - if you need more info let me know, i'll let them know about this post anyway.Can't see there being an issue getting access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 marymary

Hi MrsMum,
    there's a good one in punchestown racecourse and one across the road from the entrance to punchestown in a field. They're very visable at the moment while the hedges are so bare. Theres also one in furness house near Johnstown but I don't know if you'd be let in to see it now. the house has just been sold. it's near enough to punchestown. Theres one called the long stone in Mullamast near ballitore. If he's interested in standing stones he might also like stone circles. Theres a great one in broadleas near ballymore eustace. its very near the road and easy to see. That website that PaddyFagan mentions above in his post is good and worth a look. Tossy, that would be great. I cycled out that way yesterday but couldn't see anything from the road. I wouldn't go on private land without permission
    Mary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Thanks ever so much. Really appreciate that. We often go to Brittany in France on our holidays and they're all over the place there but it's better to see some home grown ones so to speak. Amazing to think they have survived so long.

Advertisement