Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much extra do you spend per month

Options
  • 27-03-2016 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,362 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks.

Just wondering how much extra would you spend per month on other expenses.

So for example if you rent and it costs 500 euro per month, what typically would be the end of the of the month costs be when you have to include electricity, food etc etc.

Would it be an extra 300 a month on top of you rent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Between electricity (agreed fixed charge with landlord in my case), sky, broadband, Netflix, heating, bins, I spend 210 per month on top of my rent.

Figures here will vary Wildly I'd imagine depending on type of house, if its shared, efficiency of house, time of year etc. I wouldn't include food either in this comparison stick to actual household running costs.

I'm sharing with 2 others so per month on top of rent the average of my portion of esb, gas, Internet, bins and water is probably 50 to 60 euro per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Rent is 1800 for 4bd apartment. 450 each pm.

Electricity is 120 pm
    Internet is 40 pm

Split up that is 490 per month for rent and bills.

Not too shabby considering it's in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Rent is 1800 for 4bd apartment. 450 each pm.

Electricity is 120 pm
    Internet is 40 pm

Split up that is 490 per month for rent and bills.

Not too shabby considering it's in Dublin!

Your electricity is to high!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OP, its a meaningless question (I could be much more unkind than that), as everyone's needs, tastes and usage will be different. Someone might like steak every night while someone else will live on noodles. I don't have a TV, but someone else might want to spend €100/month of premium channels. This is a list of typical bills that people have: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056906664
    ted1 wrote: »
    For a 4-bed apartment. That might have 8 people in it? That doesn't seem to have gas heating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

For us its as follows

Family of 2+2

Rent - €440 per month.
    Electricity - €100 per month.
    Oil - 1200 litres per annum so at current prices €50 per month.
    Broadband €38 per month.
    Satellite TV subscription €11 per month.
    Water - €260 - €100 grant = €160 per annum = €13 per month.
    TV licence €160 per annum = €13 per month.
    Refuse collection €10 per month.

So total monthly cost of having a home is €675.
    No bad IMO for family of 4.
    Obviously I keep the food cost separate as it has nothing to do with cost of having a home IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

ted1 wrote: »

Everything is electric in our apartment. We have electric heating, cookers, ovens, hot water. No gas or oil heating.

120 isn't too bad. I'm just highballing it because we use more electricity in winter than in summer. Could use €15 a week in summer and €40 in winter..

And fwiw, €120 is split up between four of us which is 30 per month per person.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

For two of us:

Electricity €90pm
    Oil €200pm (winter)
    Coal €50pm (winter)
    Sky €50pm
    Broadband €120pm
    Water €0pm
    Refuse €30pm

Mr.S wrote: »
    120pm for a 4+ people? Seems cheap to me.

I'd say it's high but as it includes heating it makes it sound better.

Three of us living sharing a 3 bedroom house and the bill for two months varies between about 90 and 110. In two years 110 euro in two months was the highest I've seen. So let's say that's 50 per month on average. We have only one person less but do have gas heating, though I use an eclectic heater sometimes also to heat the room I'm in rather than having to heat the whole house.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Victor wrote: »
    OP, its a meaningless question (I could be much more unkind than that), as everyone's needs, tastes and usage will be different. Someone might like steak every night while someone else will live on noodles. I don't have a TV, but someone else might want to spend €100/month of premium channels. This is a list of typical bills that people have: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056906664

For a 4-bed apartment. That might have 8 people in it? That doesn't seem to have gas heating?

How <snip> is it a meaningless question? So what if peoples needs are different? The OP is obviously trying to gauge what their costs will be and can get a good indication based on different peoples scenarios. <snip>

For my situation P/M (2 bed detached)

Rent: €850
    Gas: €75 in winter
    Elec: €40
    Sky: €100
    Broadband: €45
    Bins: €25
    Spotify: €10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

2 Adult Household

€115 management fees (pay quarterly, but have broken down to reflect monthly)
    €76 Internet +tv
    €8 Netflix
    €48 Cleaner

We have electricity only, and it varies wildly as the storage heaters really effect the bill. In depths of winter it can be €130 per month, in summer, more like €50 per month between the 2 of us.

Food is hard to quantify as we don't tend to do a big shop, rather smaller shops here and there and average it out between us, but we like nice food so probably about €80 per week on groceries, and then whatever amount on eating out also.

Then you'd also have to factor in costs like TV license, house contents insurance etc....

You can really tell from the rental figures who lives in Dublin and who doesn't!:O

Advertisement