Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PayPoint - Shops charging

Options
  • 27-03-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

Quoted here

Does it cost me anything to pay at PayPoint?

No. The PayPoint service is free to all customers when paying in cash. If you are charged, please report the shop in question to us on paypointirelandteam@paypoint.ie

Three of my local shops are now charging 50 cent per transaction and spout the same crap each time.

"It costs me to lodge your money in the bank,and I know its illegal to charge"

Which is utter BS. Then they have the audacity to say you dont say that when you get deals in the shop....

Anyone else face the same? Paypoint dont give a crap either the shops have been reported already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Jimmy it's simple really, pay point pay the retailer 15-20c per transaction.

If you pay a bill of say €100 it costs the retailer approx 45c to lodge that cash. You can't really expect the retailer to provide a service at a loss do you ?

So either the retailer provides a service to you with a surcharge or they don't provide the service at all.

You have the option of accepting the surcharge or taking your business else where.

Btw it's not illegal, it may be against the terms and conditions of pay point but it's not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

BS. A retailer bulk lodges so one fee per transaction. And Paypoint say there is NO CHARGE. So what gives?

Furthermore as you say they get paid to have the service and people get charged, why bother offer service if it's loss making then, most shop's don't charge. Also note the shops pathetic "I was doing you a favour with shop discounts" ie whatever deals may be running at the time.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    BS. A retailer bulk lodges so one fee per transaction. And Paypoint say there is NO CHARGE. So what gives?

It's not BS, the bank charge approx 20c for the lodgement and charge 45c per €100 on top of that.

So a lodgement of €1000 costs 22c + €4.50 = €4.72. Paypoint may be referring to the fact that they don't charge the retailer as in no charge (rental) for the terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

why bother offer service if it's loss making then, most shop's don't charge.
    It would be similar to loss leaders in shops. Tesco sell rum below cost in the hope people will buy other stuff.

• Advertisement

I did take that into consideration but the issue I have is paypoint say no charge and report if they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Shelflife wrote: »
    It's not BS, the bank charge approx 20c for the lodgement and charge 45c per €100 on top of that.

So a lodgement of €1000 costs 22c + €4.50 = €4.72. Paypoint may be referring to the fact that they don't charge the retailer as in no charge (rental) for the terminal.

Banks are charging businesses to lodge money???

Yup

Have done for years !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I can't imagine it's illegal for retailers to charge for Paypoint but I would guess it goes against the agreement the retailer has with Paypoint.

If you've already reported the shops in question to Paypoint and they still continue to charge there's not much you can do to force the issue. Maybe you could lodge complaints with the Consumer Association of Ireland and the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland for misleading advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

MOD: Moving to Consumer Issues as more suited there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 protege_moi

In the store I work in us the staff queried the charge with management. we make nothing, ZERO, from paypoint, essentially it gets people into the store. the 20c we charge covers the operational costs or at least thats what those on high tell us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Always have, always will.

Its cheaper for me to take debit cards and just .24% more to take credit cards - and funds are in my account at 9am next day. Put it this way, i don't like people paying cash due to the hassle and cost - Insurance, security, counting, sorting, filling slips, driving to bank (traffic) put in drop safe, and then drive back (more traffic).

So, if someone offered me 20c-30c to provide a service, its a loss, so if I did offer that service I'd have to add a fee.

I did take that into consideration but the issue I have is paypoint say no charge and report if they do.

Then report.

If paypoint say anything to the retailer then the retailer will just tell them to take the machine back. Soon there would be no machines, hence paypoint won't do anything as they cannot by law dictate to the retailer.

VincePP wrote: »
    Then report.

If paypoint say anything to the retailer then the retailer will just tell them to take the machine back. Soon there would be no machines, hence paypoint won't do anything as they cannot by law dictate to the retailer.

Paypoint got back to me again today and said the shop should not be charging full stop although i think this is a grey area and differs as to what paypoint state on their site. They are based in the UK so...

Paypoint got back to me again today and said the shop should not be charging full stop although i think this is a grey area and differs as to what paypoint state on their site. They are based in the UK so...

Yep, they'll say whatever to keep you happy, but not to allow retailer charge what they wish is the illegal part under EU competition laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Hard to blame the retailers here.

Advertisement