Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal HDD on its last breath?

Options
  • 27-03-2016 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a WD 320gb HDD in my PC that has started to shut itself off and back on...

It would do that from time to time in idle since I remember, but now it does it a lot and not just in idle. PC will "freeze" for a sec or two and then it's back to normal, until it does that again.

Should I be looking at getting a new HDD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Firstly make sure you have a backup of all important data in case hd is on the way out.
    Issue may not be hd, could be RAM. Download and run Memtest to check for errors. Alternatively remove one stick of RAM (assuming you have more than one) and see does problem persist. If yes swap out other stick.
    If you boot to repair console there should be hd diagnostics you can run. You could also run Chkdsk from Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Download HDtune check the hard drives health and run the error scan it will give you an idea if you need an upgrade bad.

Usually any sort of problems with a hard drive you should start backing up straight away.

also make sure that you have your OS on power mode in advanced power settings if its not it may be just going into an idle start because its on power saving mode or something.

Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

Fiddled around with the cables, looks like the power cable is damaged. Swapped out the HDD and SSD power cables and it hasn't turned off yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

polan wrote: »
    Fiddled around with the cables, looks like the power cable is damaged. Swapped out the HDD and SSD power cables and it hasn't turned off yet.

Thats good news.

Id still give it a quick run with HDtune to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

Ran chkdsk and HDTune, both seem to be giving positive info.

Looks like I need a power supply and not a Hard Drive after all :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement