Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help putting Linux onto a Chromebox needed

• 27-03-2016 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm living in Dublin 15 and I'm looking for some assistance from someone within traveling distance who is handy at Linux.
    I have a Chromebox and wish to run some cpap softwear on it. This softwear is available in windows or Linux versions. I'm very green when it comes to Linux. I'd love to learn but family life has me too busy.
    I understand that by using a program called Crouton Linux programs can be run on a Chromebox. It's basically a 5 minute job but beyond me.
    Please pm me if you can help

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Hiya. How far are you able to travel?
    I'm not far from Dunshaughlin, and have 20 years linux experience in lots of scenarios.
    I've also got a fixation on Chrome, and a busy family. Happy to offer you a cuppa and an install.
    I should be getting a Samsung Chromebox tomorrow, so even if you can't get out,
    I should be able to offer some practical advice.
    There's two ways of getting linux programs to run on a chrome device.
    Crouton leaves chromeos running and adds the ability to run linux applications.
    Chrome is left in charge of the device, and you'd want to be sure it's not going to put the system to sleep unexpectedly I guess.
    Linux can also be installed directly onto the devices, but in general you need to change the "BIOS" equivalent firmware so that the screen and keyboard can work with linux.
    Let me know if that might be an option, and I'll get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

niallb wrote: »
    Linux can also be installed directly onto the devices, but in general you need to change the "BIOS" equivalent firmware so that the screen and keyboard can work with linux.

Checkout https://johnlewis.ie/ if you want to follow that option. It worked for my Chromebook.

Wcool wrote: »
    Checkout https://johnlewis.ie/ if you want to follow that option. It worked for my Chromebook.

If your device is a Samsung Series 3 Chromebox, don't try this if you haven't done something similar before. There's a record of at least three boxes being bricked by the process! That said, I've installed it on one of my chromebooks and it's fantastic.

I got an Acer C710 (Parrot ROM)

All works except Suspend and Resume, but I can live with it.

I wish Mr John Lewis kept some release notes as it is hard to follow what the improvements are. I flashed the latest ROM for my Acer but have no idea if Resume and Suspend is supposed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SeeZee

Cheers guys

• Advertisement

Wcool wrote: »
    I got an Acer C710 (Parrot ROM)

All works except Suspend and Resume, but I can live with it.

I wish Mr John Lewis kept some release notes as it is hard to follow what the improvements are. I flashed the latest ROM for my Acer but have no idea if Resume and Suspend is supposed to work.

I agree. I have it on a C710 too, and it's confusing to pick a version.
    Particularly when they have names like "good", "grub2-suspend" and "windows" etc.
    Obviously John Lewis doesn't own most of this hardware, so feedback on versions would be a good source of getting such a changelog document going.

Do you hear any clicking from your speakers during normal use,
    and do you have any issues with the touchpad on battery?
    My touchpad stops working properly after a few minutes on battery
    unless I touch the VGA port on a fresh install...
    I can adjust the sensitivity with module parameters,
    so it's not a big deal, but it still catches me if I boot from a USB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SeeZee

All sorted now guys thanks to naillb.
    Cheers

niallb wrote: »
    I agree. I have it on a C710 too, and it's confusing to pick a version.
    Particularly when they have names like "good", "grub2-suspend" and "windows" etc.
    Obviously John Lewis doesn't own most of this hardware, so feedback on versions would be a good source of getting such a changelog document going.

Do you hear any clicking from your speakers during normal use,
    and do you have any issues with the touchpad on battery?
    My touchpad stops working properly after a few minutes on battery
    unless I touch the VGA port on a fresh install...
    I can adjust the sensitivity with module parameters,
    so it's not a big deal, but it still catches me if I boot from a USB stick.

Nope don't have those issues at all, I do have an insensitive touchpad sometimes but I had that during ChromeOS too.

I believe it is a hardware issue, this might work:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Acer-C7-Trackpad-Hardware-FixHack/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Have you tried version 2.0 yet?
    I'm using the kernel from galliumos on my Chromebook C710 - everything works perfectly.
    I already had it set up running ubuntu mate with most things working, but the galliumos kernel works a bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement