Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it better to save up for a house or take out a mortgage

• 27-03-2016 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Ok so many people will obviously tell you that a mortgage is better than simply paying rent until you have saved up enough money to buy a house. I say it is obvious because of course, this is what people do. I think people could save up for a house if they save hard and live below their means but would this be better?

If you take an online mortgage calculator and see what it costs you to take out a 300,000 euro mortgage for example, and then see what your repayments are, and then add those repayments up you get a total of almost double the loan amount over a period of around 25 years. If you take what rent would cost you over a period of 25 years then maybe it would be better to take out a loan for your home but if you were a good saver and you could save a lot more and have enough to buy a home in 10 years, then wouldn't that be better than taking out a mortgage?

What are some other peoples thoughts about this? Essentially, I am asking, is it better to pay a landlord or pay the bank for its loan to you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Monthly mortgage payments are usually lower than the cost of renting even with a 15 year mortgage.

I'd personally prefer to rent than own a home so I did some calculations recently. I assumed that house price inflation and stock market returns would be the same in the future as they were in the past. Then I compared what would happen if I invested the house deposit in the S&P 500 instead of purchasing the house.

By the time the mortgage was paid off the house would be worth far more than the stocks would. I tried to make things as favourable to the stocks as possible and the house was still worth more at the end. So as far as that basic analysis goes it's better to just get a mortgage.

Now obviously there's benefits to renting over owning a home. You have the freedom to move when you feel like and you don't have a long term debt hanging over your head. The mortgage is still a far better option for most people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Monthly mortgage payments are usually lower than the cost of renting even with a 15 year mortgage.

Thanks for the breakdown. But if you could save up the money in ten years for example. Wouldn't ten years of rent be less then paying back 550,000 euros on a 300,000 mortgage over the same period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Maybe it would be better to take out a loan for your home but if you were a good saver and you could save a lot more and have enough to buy a home in 10 years, then wouldn't that be better than taking out a mortgage?

If you could save that much in 10 years then why couldn't you pay off a mortgage early maybe in close to 10 years.

The quicker you pay off the less interest you pay.

Also if you wait will the house you were going to buy have gone up by more than 4% per year (typical mortgage rate) wiping out some savings ?

celtic_oz wrote: »
    If you could save that much in 10 years then why couldn't you pay off a mortgage early maybe in close to 10 years.

The quicker you pay off the less interest you pay.

Also if you wait will the house you were going to buy have gone up by more than 4% per year (typical mortgage rate) wiping out some savings ?

Dont you have to first pay the interest before you start paying the actual house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 kyubi

Anything you pay over your monthly repayment amount is taken off the principle

• Advertisement

armabelle wrote: »
    Dont you have to first pay the interest before you start paying the actual house?

Yes if you stick to the banks mortgage plan ( and they hope you do ) but if you pay any extra it goes straight off what you owe reducing your term.

Note typically only variable rate mortgages can be paid off early.

Try this calculator : http://www.consumerhelp.ie/extra-repayments-calculator

kyubi wrote: »
    Anything you pay over your monthly repayment amount is taken off the principle

Ah ok didn't know that. So let's say you don't or can't pay more per month and that you borrow 300,000 from the bank over 25 years. At the end of the term you will have paid the bank 550,000 more or less. Do you think that paying this 250,000 over and above the 300,000 is worth it? Wouldn't it be better to save up the money while renting no matter how long it took?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Save up for the house; when the next housing crash comes, as it surely will, you will be able to buy your house outright

Ah ok didn't know that. So let's say you don't or can't pay more per month and that you borrow 300,000 from the bank over 25 years. At the end of the term you will have paid the bank 550,000 more or less. Do you think that paying this 250,000 over and above the 300,000 is worth it? Wouldn't it be better to save up the money while renting no matter how long it took?

Nobody knows.

Maybe the house will cost a million in ten years and your thanking your lucky stars you bought when you did. Or maybe its worth half and your cursing your luck.

Most probably there is no real MAJOR difference financially between the 2 choices but you spent half your life renting to be safe .. fine if you dont mind that.

Thanks for the breakdown. But if you could save up the money in ten years for example. Wouldn't ten years of rent be less then paying back 550,000 euros on a 300,000 mortgage over the same period?

I'm of the view that it simply isn't feasible to save up the money. Considering it's actually cheaper to pay for your mortgage than rent you're better off just taking out the mortgage and paying it off early as other posters have suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You pay interest and principal in each payment on a standard mortgage. The interest amount reduces and principal amount increases as the mortgage progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Here is a link to a good example of the volatility of pricing in the international housing market.
    There is a fair degree of political risk presently in Ireland that could adversely affect house prices.

https://confoundedinterest23.wordpress.com/2016/03/27/swedish-meatballs-swedish-regulators-lower-mortgage-term-to-105-years-average-is-140-years/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

can't pay more per month and that you borrow 300,000 from the bank over 25 years. At the end of the term you will have paid the bank 550,000 more or less. Do you think that paying this 250,000 over and above the 300,000 is worth it? Wouldn't it be better to save up the money while renting no matter how long it took?

If you can save the price of a mortgage payment while renting, why couldn't you over pay a mortgage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

OP if you can afford to save €250k and pay rent then you can afford to overpay a loan.

You have to compare like with like.

As it is impossible to predict the future a number of assumptions have to be made.

So let's say that the house you rent is worth €200,000 and you can rent it for €12,000 pa.

So you set yourself the target of saving the €200,000 in 10 years while paying rent. That's €32,000 in after tax income that you need.

Instead you save for one year and purchase the house with a loan of €180,000 and put the €32,000 into paying it off. Let's assume the interest rate is 4%. The loan will be paid off in 77 months.

So you own the house after 89 months and you put the €2,666 into a savings account for the remaining 31 months. Saving €86,646.

This assumes that rent stays the same, that interest rates stay the same and that house prices stay the same!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Lockedout2 wrote: »
    This assumes that rent stays the same, that interest rates stay the same and that house prices stay the same...

...and their financial income/number of dependants stays the same...... for the next 20 years

I'm of the view that it simply isn't feasible to save up the money. Considering it's actually cheaper to pay for your mortgage than rent you're better off just taking out the mortgage and paying it off early as other posters have suggested.

ok I got you... but then how do the banks make the money off you if you get the better half of the deal? surely banks are not in the charity business and are in it or the profit right, so how do they make a profit?

Lockedout2 wrote: »

So you set yourself the target of saving the €200,000 in 10 years while paying rent. That's €32,000 in after tax income that you need.

I lost you on this part. Where does the €32,000 come from?

Bruthal wrote: »
    You pay interest and principal in each payment on a standard mortgage. The interest amount reduces and principal amount increases as the mortgage progresses.

so then you couldn't pay the loan off before the interest was paid off could you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

bear in mind that you mentioned 300000 for a price guide, you would need to be earning about 85k a year to qualify for a mortgage based on the new 3.5 times your salary cap.

Are you actually earning enough to qualify or will it be a joint mortgage, obviously any savings will help reduce the amount you need to borrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

I lost you on this part. Where does the €32,000 come from?

Banks make money by taking it in and paying a modest rate to their lenders and charging a higher rate to its customers.

If you want to save €200,000 over 10 years that's €20,000 per year. You also have to pay rent assumed at €12,000 per annum.

• Advertisement

Skatedude wrote: »
    bear in mind that you mentioned 300000 for a price guide, you would need to be earning about 85k a year to qualify for a mortgage based on the new 3.5 times your salary cap.

Are you actually earning enough to qualify or will it be a joint mortgage?

Joint mortgage. Heck I wish I earned 85k. That is a seriously high salary. I was just speculating with the amount. I am not sure we really want to buy in Ireland... I do like the place but I just can't face a life with this much cloud and rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Joint mortage then, It seems it's the only way to do it nowadays, cant imagine been able to afford anything on a single wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Not that I or many would be able to save this amount while renting but a mortgage will work out better unless you have seriously low rent.

House price: €350k
    Loan amount: €302k
    Term: 10 years
    Repayment: €365827.20
    Interest: €63827.20
    Interest per month: €531.89

If your rent is lower than interest per month then rent and save until you have enough for house, taking into consideration that you could get more bang for your buck now than in 10 years time. Otherwise, just get a mortgage.

ok I got you... but then how do the banks make the money off you if you get the better half of the deal? surely banks are not in the charity business and are in it or the profit right, so how do they make a profit?

You pay interest on the mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

A mortgage is locked in for a very long time, and rents are variable - nobody here has any idea what is going to happen to house prices or rents, over the time period it would take to pay off a mortgage.

In the current property market, in both cases (renting and mortgage) it's a bad deal - though one that people probably can't avoid if they want to live in Dublin, given they can't spend a good period of their lives waiting for the property market mess to be fixed up.

You pay interest on the mortgage.

Yes for sure but in 25 years time, won't the money the bank gave you be worth less than what it is now?

In the current property market, in both cases (renting and mortgage) it's a bad deal - though one that people probably can't avoid if they want to live in Dublin, given they can't spend a good period of their lives waiting for the property market mess to be fixed up.

Why is this? I thought just the rental market was a bad deal in dublin, which it is IMO

L'prof wrote: »
    Not that I or many would be able to save this amount while renting but a mortgage will work out better unless you have seriously low rent.

House price: €350k
    Loan amount: €302k
    Term: 10 years
    Repayment: €365827.20
    Interest: €63827.20
    Interest per month: €531.89

If your rent is lower than interest per month then rent and save until you have enough for house, taking into consideration that you could get more bang for your buck now than in 10 years time. Otherwise, just get a mortgage.

Where did you get the Repayment amount from? 60K on 300k mortgage seems low. Did you just use it as an example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Where did you get the Repayment amount from? 60K on 300k mortgage seems low. Did you just use it as an example?

I used a mortgage calculator that was on my phone.

Just used BOIs mortgage calculator there and it actually works out cheaper.

€58726 interest over 10 years

So, if your rent is higher than €489pm you should seriously consider getting a mortgage based on the info you provided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

so then you couldn't pay the loan off before the interest was paid off could you?
    You can, as you only owe interest on money still owed back. So you can clear the loan early, although it is easier when on standard variable rates.

Fixed rate mortgages usually have an early repayment penalties.

Advertisement