Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What spinners would we use for lake salmon spinning?

• 27-03-2016 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

What spinners would you use to catch salmon in lakes on the spinner? At what speed retrieves etc?

Thank You,
    Olly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Your sure have a lot of questions :)

Do you mean trolling lures behind a boat ? It would be very hard to catch a salmon from the shore when lake fishing

No doubt it has been done but odds are massively against you

If you fancy trying get a few flying c and tobys and cast until ya can't feel your arms anymore

When that fails trolling lures behind a boat such as rapalas and vision 110 can be good

The f11 floating rapala in the perch pattern and fire tiger are my favourites

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FlyBoy1234

I'm not trolling but shore fishing unfortunately. Why is it hard from the shore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Why not use the fly?
    I've caught a good few salmon from the shore on the fly.
    Don't wade, fish the shore the wind is blowing parallel or slightly onto if possible.
    Cast anywhere from directly out to straight along the shore a metre or 2 out.
    Treat it like you're fishing from a boat and keep moving along.

I fly fish. I actually never taught about the fly. Would I need a double hander or is my 10 foot 7 weight fly rod enough? I originally got it for the lake in question as it casts through the wind. It's a small lake that's why I'm not using a boat. I know it does hold salmon as I know many people who caught salmon and they are not stocked cos we are the only ones that know about the fishing. It's a small lake so that's why I am thinking my 7 weight is fine as I'll be mainly targeting grilse.

Thank You,
    Olly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

7wt will be perfect, make sure there's a bit of wind and fish something bushy on the top dropper with a salmon fly like a cascade or a flamethrower on the point.
    Search out the shoreline and cover as much ground as possible.
    The fish can be lying less than a metre from the shore so no need to cast out far, better to cast along the shore with the wind.

• Advertisement

Bogwoppit wrote:
    7wt will be perfect, make sure there's a bit of wind and fish something bushy on the top dropper with a salmon fly like a cascade or a flamethrower on the point. Search out the shoreline and cover as much ground as possible. The fish can be lying less than a metre from the shore so no need to cast out far, better to cast along the shore with the wind.

Thank You so much for that. So I should cast with the wind to my back so I'm casting with the wind?

Advertisement