Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damage at party - who pays?

Options
  • 27-03-2016 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

We recently had a party and some uninvited gatecrashers arrived.

long story short, there was some damage to a wall and carpet costing 300-400

We didnt invite them and had to call the cops to get them out, but the landlord says we have to pay.

this cant be right... should we go to the prtb onthis?

Help!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

sophied99 wrote: »
    Hi All,

We didnt invite them and had to call the cops to get them out, but the landlord says we have to pay.

Help!!!

Fix the man's house. You had a party, you are responsible for everybody that comes and goes, invited or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Who do you expect to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Of course you pay.
    How could you honestly think otherwise?

If you want, pursue the people you claim did the damage. But you are responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It's the cost of throwing parties I'm afraid. You end up being responsible for the actions of others.
    Unless you can get these other people to pay, which probably seems unlikely. Then it's your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Hi All,

Help!!!

Are you serious? Who do you think should pay? You had the party, it was your responsibility to keep the place in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Beyond wear and tear. Your landlord is NOT responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RebekahD

I think your very lucky your land lord isn't wanting you to leave for his house being destroyed.
    The least you can do is repair what was damaged !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sophie- you threw a party.
    You did not police the party properly- and allowed gate crashers into the party.
    The property was damaged.
    Of course you're responsible for the damage- its a little mind boggling that you imagine you're not.
    If you know who caused the damage- you can chase them for restitution by all means- however, your responsibility is to the landlord- and you have absolutely not a foot to stand on imagining you're not financially responsible to the landlord for the damage.

If the Gardaí had to be called because of anti-social behaviour- and the landlord is only demanding you make good the damage that was caused- count yourself lucky- a lot of tenants would find themselves with a breach of tenancy letter and a demand to vacate the property- for antisocial behaviour that necessitated Garda intervention.

Next time you have a party- police it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

sophied99: Hi PRTB? We recently had a party and some uninvited gatecrashers arrived.

this cant be right?

PRTB: Yes it's right, pay up and grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Of course you dont have to pay...what other things would you like the rest of us to pay for?

You're lucky you're still in the house at this stage...arrange with your landlord for him to get someone in to fix it and you pay him or get someone in yourself to fix it and you pay him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Hi All,

Help!!!

Are you serious? You had the party you are responsible. If you want pursue the people who caused the damaged you can. Can I ask you why you think your landlord should pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hi All,

Help!!!

:eek:
    The mind boggles. How in God's name could anyone else be responsible for it but you and your housemate(s).

Do you seriously think the landlord is responsible to clean up after your party mess???

You can of course go after your uninvited guests (how I don't know) but in the meantime pay your landlord for the damage you caused by throwing a party and allowing uninvited guests in to the house you are responsible for while renting it.

This post has actually left me aghast.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Op you should have charged every party goer 10 euros entrance fee,this would have covered any damage.
    Good luck with all your future parties!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Would you still expect your landlord to pay had one of the "Invited" caused the damage instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I think the OP has her answer now. Maybe time to go easy on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Guys,
    I think we have look at her profile and realise she's approx. 16 years of age and this is her first
    Post on boards.
    Let's put it down to youthful ignorance and a learning experience on her part. Thank god I'm not her landlord though.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,582 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Guys,
    I think we have look at her profile and realise she's approx. 16 years of age and this is her first
    Post on boards.
    Let's put it down to youthful ignorance and a learning experience on her part. Thank god I'm not her landlord though.

Would you not need to be 18 to sign a lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Why would the landlord pay, it doesn't even sound like he got an invite!

Tenants fault, pay up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why not claim against the person/s that done the damage.

You have to be able to prove it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why not claim against the person/s that done the damage.

You have to be able to prove it though.

You're still going to have to pay the landlord first - they aren't and have no reason to be interested in precisely who did it; once it was done when you were in control of a party there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

L1011 wrote: »
    You're still going to have to pay the landlord first - they aren't and have no reason to be interested in precisely who did it; once it was done when you were in control of a party there.

Fully agree there I meant they could themselves chase the offender

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Would you not need to be 18 to sign a lease?

Yes, maybe their parents co signed the lease. My
    Post was pure speculation. I'd hate to think the OP was written by a mature adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Hi All,

Help!!!

You threw a party in your accommodation. Unless you or your landlord are going to try pursue the uninvited in the small claims court for the damage the costs land firmly at your feet. I guess you could weigh up the cost of damage against the security deposit you put down and whether your willing to loose both that and the roof over your head. I imagine that your landlord has a clause in the contract where any damage caused must be repaired or you could face eviction!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note: I think that the OP has had the issue explained and clarified. No more need for discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement