Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tragedy in D7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Desperately sad. I live on the other side of the canal - I really wish there was better access between the two areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Terribly sad. On the independent it quoted Brendan Carr saying someone else died there a few years ago, who was that?

The only other person I heard of dying there was over 20 years ago and that's why the wall was built in the first place.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This is only about a mile away from where I live. Terrible tragedy.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Terribly sad. On the independent it quoted Brendan Carr saying someone else died there a few years ago, who was that?

The only other person I heard of dying there was over 20 years ago and that's why the wall was built in the first place.

There's a plaque on the wall between the bushes dedicated to a young lad I think, don't know the full story.

septictank wrote: »
    There's a plaque on the wall between the bushes dedicated to a young lad I think, don't know the full story.

Yeh that's the one I thought it was. Was nearly 20 years ago. I thought someone else had died there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can anyone tell us how this stream next to the canal where the accident happened is crossed? Is it a proper walkway or more a case of someone putting a plank of wood down to bridge it?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can anyone tell us how this stream next to the canal where the accident happened is crossed? Is it a proper walkway or more a case of someone putting a plank of wood down to bridge it?

No it's not a proper walkway. The planning permission for a bridge there was denied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Don't they have to cross the railway line too?

January wrote: »
    Don't they have to cross the railway line too?

They do. The mother of the child spoke to the Independent about getting a bridge there. I really hope they put the bridge there. I believe one of the reasons people rejected it in the first place was because of snobbery of some of the residents and not wanting an access way between Ashington and Finglas.

No it's not a proper walkway. The planning permission for a bridge there was denied.

So presumably its just a plank of wood across the stream that gets very slippy after wet weather? And then a gap in the railway fence to cross over the train line?

Its even sadder when a proper bridge would have prevented this. Hopefully the residents who objected to planning for a bridge reaise this.

• Advertisement

They do. The mother of the child spoke to the Independent about getting a bridge there. I really hope they put the bridge there. I believe one of the reasons people rejected it in the first place was because of snobbery of some of the residents and not wanting an access way between Ashington and Finglas.

Not to do with snobbery but the extra traffic coming into a housing estate that is already congested at school times.

Not to do with snobbery but the extra traffic coming into a housing estate that is already congested at school times.

What? A walking bridge would cause extra traffic? Come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Were they going to build a bridge over the railway line aswell as part of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

I live in Ashtown , literally right across from where this happened , i've taken the shortcut through Aishington green a few times if there's a 122 sooner then a 120.

Its not the easiest little short cut by any stretch , really tragic whats happened but to be honest you could see something like it happening there its quite dangerous , he took some risk taking it with a 3 year old.

either they need a bridge there or to close it off properly for good , wont be using it for a shortcut again after this that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

After the 2012 & 2015 All Ireland finals, there were two drowings in the canal near Drumcondra. A Donegal and a Kerry lad wandered out from the pubs on Dorset St (probably with drink taken, unfortunately) and met watery graves in the canal. I don't claim to know the first thing about waterways, or barges, or canals, or why the banks of canals have to be as open and exposed as they are. But surely to God something can be done, to make them safer in areas where there is a lot of foot traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Just to be clear they didnt drown in the canal. It was in essence a stream onthe other side of the track. Im assuming people needed to cross the tracks here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

According to the paper Irish rail had fixed the fence to stop people using it as a short cut and when it was last checked it was intact.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/tributes-paid-to-father-and-son-who-drowned-near-ashington-estate-1.2590060

Irish Rail said there was an ongoing problem with people trespassing on the line at this point.
    “We have had repeated incidences of the palisade fencing being damaged. The last time it was repaired was on March 12th, and it was last checked on March 21st and it was intact at that time,” spokesman Barry Kenny said.
    “We have line inspection staff walking this line very regularly. Trespass on the rail line is something we always look to prevent.”
    Mr Kenny extended his sympathies to the families of the deceased.
    Irish Rail was granted planning permission for a new train station at Ashington Green in October 2014, but no work has progressed on the project. A new footbridge over the canal and rail line was included in the grant of permission.

What? A walking bridge would cause extra traffic? Come off it.

Never heard about a walking bridge, I was talking about the original plan they had when Ashington was being built which was to open the estate just up past Campbell bridge so traffic from Finglas/ Glasnevin could enter the estate and exit onto the Navan road on Kinvara Ave.

Local resident's apposed it and changed the plans, Bertie was the local politician at the time,;) the traffic would be crazy.

I can't see a Pedestrian bridge being built just for Ashington residents to walk over the tracks, to where?

Edit: just seen groovyg's post about the plans for the new station hence the Foot bridge.

So just to clarify- was it a footbridge that the Ashington residents objected to planning for? If so I can't understand why, a footbridge would give them access to the walk along the canal whilst giving the people on the Ashtown side access to Ashington Park. Win, win I would have thought?

The foot bridge seems to have the go ahead once/if the new station is built.

The objection goes back 25/30 years when Ashington was being built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

There's a footbridge proposed for the east end of Ashington which would give residents access to a proposed new railway station at Royal Canal Park. It would also provide access (by walking along the canal) to the new Luas line at broombridge and to new facilities going into Royal canal park (cafe, playground, shop) however as I understand it that's the other end of Ashington from where this incident occurred.

There's a footbridge proposed for the east end of Ashington which would give residents access to a proposed new railway station at Royal Canal Park. It would also provide access (by walking along the canal) to the new Luas line at broombridge and to new facilities going into Royal canal park (cafe, playground, shop) however as I understand it that's the other end of Ashington from where this incident occurred.

That doesn't really make sense. Ashington - The part along the railway line isn't a huge area. If there's a footbridge proposed for the east end (Which would be Ashington Gardens and Riverston Abbey) it would only be a 5min walk to the west side (Ashington Rise, Close etc).

Unless you're talking about Ashtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

But they are only a matter of 100 metres apart. Max. The point is, a footbridge would considerably shorten the journey from Ashtown to Ashington. And the traffic is in both directions: on hot sunny days, it's unbearable to hear the trains sounding their horns at kids crossing the tracks as they skip over and back to the Centra in Ashtown. I'm biased as I'd like the railway station opened - but this week brought it home to me that we need this footbridge even more.

I didn't like to say at the time but i'd say that's where they were going when they fell in, to the Centra at royal canal ave.

So the hole in the fence and the plank must be at the end of the Dale so they can cross at the narrow part of the canal at the lock gates.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3754158,-6.3151768,348m/data=!3m1!1e3

The Elephant in the room is why in such a large estate is there not one shop.

There is plenty of green space at Ashington park, There are tennis courts and a playground but acres more land that people just walk their dogs on, or local kids hang around during the summer.

As far as I remember it was the other shops in the area that gave out at the time as a small mall 5/6 shops were proposed, but that was before all of the land was built on, it still could be done without to much of the park being used up.

It's not really that large and there's shops within walking distance in Kinvara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

The Elephant in the room is why in such a large estate is there not one shop.

There were plans for shops and a clubhouse for oliver Plunketts GAA in the area but some residents objected as their neighbors kids would be hanging around the shops causing trouble. This was supposed to be where the large houses are now facing the green. It was a small number of people within Ashington organised by a local independent Councillor who objected to all commercial development in the estate.

Can you remember who the councilor was?

Advertisement