Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help from braising experts...

Options
  • 27-03-2016 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just finished dinner - braised leg of lamb. This was a joint around 1.1kg of lamb leg (filleted, but with bone in). Seared in the pan, then added to around 2l of stock/water with veg etc, and cooked at 150 in a fan oven for around 4 hours. Is that too long...?

I think it is because the lamb was a little drier than I hoped for and didn't really fall off the bone. The other think I have is that I didn't cover the meat in the oven. Should I have?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, that was way too long. Four hours might have been necessary for a leg that was 3-4 times the size of yours, and the temperature should have been about 130 fan at that.

I've checked similar recipes online, and for legs of lamb that are 3-5 kg, the recipes from 2.5-4 hours cooking time.

For a 1.1kg leg of lamb, I'd typically roast it. It's too small to need much else, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I sent the husband to get shoulder of lamb for me to braise as I had looked at a particular recipe yesterday, but he got two shanks instead.
    The recipe stated for a 2.5kg shoulder on the bone needs 4-5 hours in a 140c oven, covered tightly with foil, and only to remove the foil and cook uncovered for the last 45 minutes.

With the shanks I got, totalling 1.2kg, I braised in the oven for just under 2.5 hours at 150c. They fell off the bone just nicely.
    Nothing wrong with braising smaller meat, just adjust the temp and time, but 4 hours at your temp was definitely way too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Thanks! That makes sense. Second time lucky.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To be honest, I think the biggest problem with the op's dish was the fact it wasn't covered. If cooking for 4 hours I might have dropped tempted to 130-140 but low and slow cooking is very forgiving provided you cover well and it has enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I did a 2kg leg of lamb at the weekend. 20 mins at 230C, then added stock, covered tightly with foil & braised for 4 hours at 120C. Rested for 45 mins. Was falling off the bone & deliciously moist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm shocked anyone would braise a leg of.lamb. It's far too good a piece of meat to braise IMO. Braising is for meat like shanks, that's no good for roasting or grilling.

But to answer the question, braising must be done covered.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I tend to agree. But Mrs B & The Kids don't go for pink lamb & prefer it well done. Braising is a happy medium for me as we end up with well done but still tender & moist meat.

I tend to agree. But Mrs B & The Kids don't go for pink lamb & prefer it well done. Braising is a happy medium for me as we end up with well done but still tender & moist meat.

My approach was to just keep serving my wife pink lamb. She finally broke and now only eats medium rare lamb.

A trick that works with pink beef is to have a pot of beef stock on the hob. Slice the beef and dip it in the pot for 30 seconds. It's still actually cooked medium but the pink I'd hidden by the stock. I do it when I roast beef for philistines. May work with lamb.

they/them/theirs

Mrs B is rather a strong-willed woman who knows exactly how she likes her lamb done.

"The lady is not for turning." :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm with Mrs. Billy, I like my lamb well done and God help anyone who tried to pull the wool over my eyes by trying to hide the pinkness of a lesser cooked roast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭sudzs

I did a 2kg leg of lamb at the weekend. 20 mins at 230C, then added stock, covered tightly with foil & braised for 4 hours at 120C. Rested for 45 mins. Was falling off the bone & deliciously moist.

Hoping to do the same with pork shoulder today, (1.80 kg) are those temps for a fan oven? Also the pork is in one of those butchers elastic nets, should I leave it on? I don't like those nets but it's off the bone so I wonder if the meat would be a bit all over the place out of the net.

Sorry, sudz- only seeing this now. Yes, temps for fan oven.

Sorry, sudz- only seeing this now. Yes, temps for fan oven.

No probs! :) I went ahead and used your temps for the pork, only difference was I uncovered it for last 20 minutes and turned up the heat to 160. Have to say it was bloody delicious! Will definitely do it again. :D Also, I took off that nasty butchers stocking thing and it was a good solid piece of meat!

sudzs wrote: »
    No probs! :) I went ahead and used your temps for the pork, only difference was I uncovered it for last 20 minutes and turned up the heat to 160. Have to say it was bloody delicious! Will definitely do it again. :D Also, I took off that nasty butchers stocking thing and it was a good solid piece of meat!

Did you buy a boned shoulder?

If so, you should try a bone in shoulder next time. Serious eating.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Did you buy a boned shoulder?

If so, you should try a bone in shoulder next time. Serious eating.

No bone, might try it on the bone next time. :)

Advertisement