Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Headset Advice needed

Options
  • 27-03-2016 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi again all!

Son now "needs" a gaming headset!

He doesn't have a sound card, getting sound from this mb: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H170A-GAMING-PRO.html#hero-overview

But I have no clue about headsets, I am looking at a Kingston hyper X cloud for him based on a PC format article.

Not sure of cloud or cloud 2, the 7.1 surround sound sounds good, but not sure if the mb above can output 7.1. Can it? Is is worth it?

Any better alternative less than €100? What about the Logitech G430?

Have family in US at minute, is it better to get it over there?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I have the Hyper X Cloud 2 and it is exceptional in terms of sound quality and build quality. The materials and finish are so premium I would be happy with them if I paid €200 for them! It's virtual 7.1 surround meaning it's software driven so your hardware doesn't matter. Get them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Second the Hyper x cloud. Great headset for the money. I don't use the 7.1 at all to be honest. I find it distorts the sound too much. There's virtually no difference between the 2 apart from the virtual 7.1 support so if you want to save a few beans the cloud 1's are just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭€>sense

Thanks guys.

Excuse the ignorance, but without 7.1 is there no directional sound on the cloud 1?

Does the 7.1 distort all sounds constantly like on movies/you tube, or is it only distorting in game?

Can the virtual 7.1 be switched off when not required for fps games and sound quality revert to cloud 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Very few even know what 7.1 does, let alone sound like compared to 5.1
    It is very hard to tell sometimes in games/music/videos etc, because it really depends on the source quality. Directional sound is seperate from 7.1 and 5.1, but it definitely gets easier to 'understand' where the noise 'came from'.
    Distortion doesn't happen when no 7.1 is used.
    All you need to know is that 7.1 is a nice to have feature. Not nescessary, and there are better features out there. It's been marketed heavily lately because it's implementation became cheaper than it was 5 years ago.
    Games will sound good, and the HyperX Cloud 2 are excellent, as are the Siberia 200 series (extremely comfortable with the suspension headband).

(Also, the Cloud 2 and Cloud don't share the same sound drivers, so they don't share anything in common in terms of sound really. It's just the successor)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Another plus one for the cloud 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Personally 5.1/7.1 out of cans is pure tripe.

Have a listen to the barbershop binaural demo on any regular set of headphones and you'll see you're not getting anything more than good stereo provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GameStop sell the budget version, HyperX Cloud Core:
    https://www.gamestop.ie/Other%20Products/Games/54446/hyperx-cloud-core

Same headset as the Cloud, except without the velour pads or the 5.1 dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Can recommend the G430, great headset also. As for how it stacks up against the Cloud 2 I have no idea.

Advertisement