Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building First PC - Installation Problems - Help Needed!

Options
  • 27-03-2016 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

I've come to throw myself on your mercy as I've exhausted all options I can think of at the moment!

I've turned these:
    12321369_10153268051985666_6326439006859146930_n.jpg

into a my first hand built pc.
    Motherboard
    Processor
    Ram
    Graphics Card
    Power Unit

I've put it together and got to the bios stage.
    I was planning on using my old sata HDD, which has Windows 7 Ultimate Edition on it.
    This part has proven to be the hardest, and it's what I thought would be easiest.
    I've connected the HDD to the mobo and I downloaded a windows 7 iso and made it into a bootable usb as per the article on this page:
    https://www.pcsteps.com/45-download-windows-7-iso-legally-free-digital-river/

However, when I get to the install page I receive the message:
    "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click ok."

From this point on, nothing I do is working.

I've read that putting the USB stick in a USB 2.0 port will bypass this problem but I'm pretty sure I'm doing this with an external USB port and still getting the same result.

I'm not sure with it maybe being a new motherboard?

Help please?

btw, It's a valid windows key that I bought. It is part of an OEM thing though so the windows download page itself won't verify the key when I try to download from their site.

Other info:
    I'm installing the windows 7 ultimate, 64 bit version which (I'm 99% sure) is the previous version I was using.

I have a DVD of motherboard drivers (I presume) which came with the motherboard

HELP!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Put the USB stick into the black USB ports, not the blue ones (the blue are USB 3.0, the 'normal' or black ones are USB2.0). The vast majority of the time this is the reason for the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Why not just boot directly into the hard-drive with the Windows 7 install already on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

A lot of that goes over my head. Is it saying I need to try reconfiguring the bios before attempting the install?
    Put the USB stick into the black USB ports, not the blue ones (the blue are USB 3.0, the 'normal' or black ones are USB2.0). The vast majority of the time this is the reason for the above.
    Tried this. No joy!
    Why not just boot directly into the hard-drive with the Windows 7 install already on it?
    Booting straight with windows 7 causes an error and restart. I'm guessing because it's a different motherboard.

Other info:
    I'm installing the windows 7 ultimate, 64 bit version which (I'm 99% sure) is the previous version I was using.

I have a DVD of motherboard drivers (I presume) which came with the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭€>sense

Check your mb manual, for win 7 installation settings in the bios.

From win 7 to now, bios changed to uefi, don't ask me anything about this as I don't have a clue what that means, but I do know I couldn't install Win 7 on a recent new build, and there were settings in my bios for win 7 installation where I could choose legacy bios or uefi.

I didn't get the win 7 to work though, I did a clean install of win 10 from a USB key downloaded from Microsoft and used the win 7 key, because it just seemed easier at that point.

• Advertisement

€>sense wrote: »
    Check your mb manual, for win 7 installation settings in the bios.

From win 7 to now, bios changed to uefi, don't ask me anything about this as I don't have a clue what that means, but I do know I couldn't install Win 7 on a recent new build, and there were settings in my bios for win 7 installation where I could choose legacy bios or uefi.

I didn't get the win 7 to work though, I did a clean install of win 10 from a USB key downloaded from Microsoft and used the win 7 key, because it just seemed easier at that point.

There's definitely a uefi option in the bios. I enabled it and the mouse and keyboard (wireless) stopped working. I clearly have no idea what's going on.

I think I'll try going the win 10 option. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

You said your version of windows was rebooting. This could just need reg fix as it may have been created with ide instead of ahci mode and will reboot until you can edit registry. See if your motherboard can change to ide mode probably not though as it will should boot to this then change registry. Quick Google will tell you key in registry to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hamhamwich

From the manual:

"Please download the "Windows USB Installation Tool" from GIGABYTE's website and install it before installing Windows 7"

This should add the necessary drivers to the bootable USB

hamhamwich wrote: »
    From the manual:

"Please download the "Windows USB Installation Tool" from GIGABYTE's website and install it before installing Windows 7"

This should add the necessary drivers to the bootable USB

Nice spot, thanks.
    Took a bit of searching on the site but eventually got it and couldn't figure out how to get the thing to work.

Windows 10 seems to be the less painful option in all this.

And on the 3rd day I cracked :)
    I'm typing this on my new computer with Ubuntu OS installed.

Simple and painless installation process.
    Lots of FAQ info online that is clear to understand.
    No major differences from Windows, I've been using it quite happily for 2 hours now with minimal confusion.
    I'm also learning to code so maybe it might be more beneficial on this OS too.

Installing an online multiplayer game to check out the graphics card at the moment, but 2 out of 3 boxes ticked so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The games for Linux are fine, otherwise your wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

And on the 3rd day I cracked :)
    I'm typing this on my new computer with Ubuntu OS installed.

Simple and painless installation process.
    Lots of FAQ info online that is clear to understand.
    No major differences from Windows, I've been using it quite happily for 2 hours now with minimal confusion.
    I'm also learning to code so maybe it might be more beneficial on this OS too.

Installing an online multiplayer game to check out the graphics card at the moment, but 2 out of 3 boxes ticked so far.

You'll be glad you didn't take the win 10 route. I'm convinced Microsoft want to make anything to do with not installing windows 10 as hard as possible. Took 2 days of searching to figure out why my build was not updating windows promptly or at all. found this on a site http://superuser.com/questions/871964/cannot-do-windows-updates-on-new-windows-7-installation-compaq-laptop
    Just one windows update which I couldn't find at all from MS support site fixed all the issues I was having.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

R9-380 and Ubuntu? Nice, but nix gaming is pretty limited. You'll be dual booting within a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

ED E wrote: »
    R9-380 and Ubuntu? Nice, but nix gaming is pretty limited. You'll be dual booting within a fortnight.

https://steamdb.info/linux/

1'722 titles ain't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

According to wikipedia its about 20% of the total steam library in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Quantity maybe. But I have 304 games in my steam library, less than 50% I'm really bothered to play.
    According to wikipedia its about 20% of the total steam library in fairness

This. Gaming on linux basically means Valve Games + Indie titles. Few nice exceptions but there are enough AAAs missing that mean you end installing windows or missing out. Unfortunately.

Advertisement