Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone coupled together

• 28-03-2016 7:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can throw a bit of light on this. I recently received a new iphone 6s and already have a 5c (for work). In setting it up, I used the same icloud details and allowed it to back up from previous month from icloud which meant that all texts, photos and phone contacts from 5c have now merged across to the 6s. However, when someone texts on the new phone, I get it on the other phone also. I though I had disabled it with a setting as both phones were ringing but seems to be still active for texts....how do I "de-couple" the phones? Also, will it back up both phones separately or will they both be backed up with the same contents??

Thanks for the tips...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can throw a bit of light on this. I recently received a new iphone 6s and already have a 5c (for work). In setting it up, I used the same icloud details and allowed it to back up from previous month from icloud which meant that all texts, photos and phone contacts from 5c have now merged across to the 6s. However, when someone texts on the new phone, I get it on the other phone also. I though I had disabled it with a setting as both phones were ringing but seems to be still active for texts....how do I "de-couple" the phones? Also, will it back up both phones separately or will they both be backed up with the same contents??

Thanks for the tips...

The message sync is happening because you have iMessage enabled. There is a feature for forwarding on calls and texts to other devices using your same Apple ID.

Both phones should be backing up separately now, they're just linked to the same Apple account and can share apps and music etc.

To turn off sync you might have to disable iMessage on the old phone entirely. If it's normal messages your receiving and not just from other iPhones then on your new iPhone, in the messages settings you need to stop it forwarding to your old device.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

DubDJ wrote: »
    The message sync is happening because you have iMessage enabled. There is a feature for forwarding on calls and texts to other devices using your same Apple ID.

Both phones should be backing up separately now, they're just linked to the same Apple account and can share apps and music etc.

To turn off sync you might have to disable iMessage on the old phone entirely. If it's normal messages your receiving and not just from other iPhones then on your new iPhone, in the messages settings you need to stop it forwarding to your old device.

This is incorrect, you can have two seperate iMessage accounts on one iTunes account. Go to your message settings, and click into the send & receive tab. When you click in you should see both of your mobile numbers and your iTunes linked email account. Deselect all the options bar the mobile number for each phone you are using. Make sure you're not using the email address for iMessage, as this causes the duplication. I have run two iPhones for the last 4 years for work and personal with no duplication. If you have an iPad too you can leave this matched up to the email account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

This is incorrect, you can have two seperate iMessage accounts on one iTunes account. Go to your message settings, and click into the send & receive tab. When you click in you should see both of your mobile numbers and your iTunes linked email account. Deselect all the options bar the mobile number for each phone you are using. Make sure you're not using the email address for iMessage, as this causes the duplication. I have run two iPhones for the last 4 years for work and personal with no duplication. If you have an iPad too you can leave this matched up to the email account.

I never said he couldn't I just said he has to turn off iMessage on the old device for his account. He set the new iPhone up from a backup of the old one so all of his old devices settings and details are on the new one including the iCloud account.

As far as I know the send and receive tab is only for actually sending an iMessage or SMS to another device, deselecting these will just stop the old device from sending or receiving messages at that email or phone number. The new iPhone would still forward the messages on to the old device though.

I've only the one device at the moment so the tab isn't showing for me so I can't fully look into it.

Basically OP, you need to go into your new 6s, and make sure it's not forwarding messages to your 5c.

You'll also need to go into your 5c messages settings and sign out to stop recieving iMessages from that account too.

Then it should be working fine. You can then use a different iMessage account on your 5c and receive messages to that directly if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

He doesn't need to sign out of iMessage. Just change the send and receive settings. Same with FaceTime.

Advertisement