Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taste of the wild

• 28-03-2016 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭

Have started using this food lately. Great offers in pet mania with it.
    But the food measurements are complicated. Everything is measured in cups? How many grand in a cup?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Did the shop not have cups for the food? Different foods use different size cups. What you can do though - it should also say the measurements in grams somewhere on the packet, if not, google it, and see if it does on their website - then weigh it, mark it on the cup that you do use, and you'll know how much to feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Try allaboutdogfood.com and look up the formula you are using with your dog's weight - it should give you the grams you need to feed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

muddypaws wrote: »
    Did the shop not have cups for the food? Different foods use different size cups. What you can do though - it should also say the measurements in grams somewhere on the packet, if not, google it, and see if it does on their website - then weigh it, mark it on the cup that you do use, and you'll know how much to feed.

That's what I usually do with the cups and other food. But I can't find TOTW measured in grams. It must be American

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    That's what I usually do with the cups and other food. But I can't find TOTW measured in grams. It must be American

Just had a quick look in the FAQ on their website, it says the cup is a normal 8 ounce kitchen cup. I do a lot of baking, and loads of recipes use American cups instead of grams or ounces. You can get conversion charts on the internet, although I'm not sure any will specify dog food, maybe try to find the nearest thing to the shape of the kibble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

They mean measuring cups like for cooking or baking (not the plastic measuring cup some food companies have) so anywhere that does homewares would sell a set of measuring cups. If you have a measuring or even a pint glass - 1 pint is approx 2 cups so you could maybe pour the food into the pint jug/glass and then weigh that amount to get 2 cups and go from there - the jug might have cups on it already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A 'cup' is 250ml or 8 floz in volume.

kylith wrote: »
    A 'cup' is 250ml or 8 floz in volume.

Depends what dry ingredient you are using, it is different for different things.

Depends what dry ingredient you are using, it is different for different things.

Volume is volume regardless of whether your measuring sand or butter beans. The weight may vary but the volume will not.

Volume is volume regardless of whether your measuring sand or butter beans. The weight may vary but the volume will not.

Go and try it, fill a cup of flour, weigh it, then fill the same cup with nuts, and weigh them.

Just google conversion US cups to grams, there are numerous sites that have the weights, and they list them by dry ingredient, and it is amazing the difference.

And of course you are right, volume is volume, but the OP wants to know what it is in grams, there are different size cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

You can get a set of measuring cups- with what 1 American cup is- in many places (I think Tiger had them, of all places). Sometimes your measuring jug will already have it written on the side.

• Advertisement

I don't know why they couldn't just do the dosage in grams or lbs or oz. At €60 a bag I dont want to be over feeding her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I don't know why they couldn't just do the dosage in grams or lbs or oz. At €60 a bag I dont want to be over feeding her

'Murica! :pac:

Go and try it, fill a cup of flour, weigh it, then fill the same cup with nuts, and weigh them.

Just google conversion US cups to grams, there are numerous sites that have the weights, and they list them by dry ingredient, and it is amazing the difference.

And of course you are right, volume is volume, but the OP wants to know what it is in grams, there are different size cups.

That's why I gave the volume amounts. The OP can get a measuring jug and fill it with the dry food to the correct volume, then pour it on their kitchen scales and know how much it weighs.

Personally I prefer measuring kibble in cups - I work out how many cups equate to the needed amount of food then I can leave the scoop in the tub. I find it much easier than weighing it out every time.

That's why I gave the volume amounts. The OP can get a measuring jug and fill it with the dry food to the correct volume, then pour it on their kitchen scales and know how much it weighs.

Personally I prefer measuring kibble in cups - I work out how many cups equate to the needed amount of food then I can leave the scoop in the tub. I find it much easier than weighing it out every time.

That's what I usually do. Find the correct volume/weight and fill a cup to a certain level so I don't weigh each time.
    But finding the correct weight for TOTW is proving hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Muddypaws 250ml is not weight, you can measure out 250 ml in a standard measuring jug and then weigh that volume to get the weight of a cup of nuts if you want to work in grams. Measuring dog nuts by volume is very inaccurate anyway and the recommended portion on most dog food bags is also over stated. The best method of measuring food is to go by the condition of the dog. Just guestimate, feed for a few weeks then assess if the dog is putting on or losing too much weight and adjust accordingly. The bigger of my two actually needs the least food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

That's what I usually do. Find the correct volume/weight and fill a cup to a certain level so I don't weigh each time.
    But finding the correct weight for TOTW is proving hard!

Did you try allaboutdogfood.com?? They have gram measurements for all the foods on there.

So all the time I use the conversion sites, I didn't need to, just my measuring jug - doh. At least I'm not the only one, going on the amount of times the links are put up on different forums and FB groups. See DBB, I told you I wasn't logical :P

So all the time I use the conversion sites, I didn't need to, just my measuring jug - doh. At least I'm not the only one, going on the amount of times the links are put up on different forums and FB groups. See DBB, I told you I wasn't logical :P

The conversion sites can be handy if you just need one or two things converted, but when I found myself having to google conversions for 12 items in a recipe I just said Feck it and bought a set of measuring cups. You can get them for a couple of quid. Not to mention that because of difference in grain sizes a cup of regular sugar will be a different weight from a cup of caster sugar.

The conversion sites can be handy if you just need one or two things converted, but when I found myself having to google conversions for 12 items in a recipe I just said Feck it and bought a set of measuring cups. You can get them for a couple of quid. Not to mention that because of difference in grain sizes a cup of regular sugar will be a different weight from a cup of caster sugar.

Yeah, I've had that problem. I will look out for some 'murican cups

Springwell wrote: »
    Did you try allaboutdogfood.com?? They have gram measurements for all the foods on there.

I will later on. Thanks

• Advertisement

I will later on. Thanks

Tried it. Very helpful. Thanks. My 9 yr old 20kg should be on 246g a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

I would calculate how many calories your dog ate on the old food (if it said 300 g/day and the old food was 350 calories per 100 g for example that would be 1050 calories) and then calculate in grams how much of the new food 1050 calories (in this example) represent as it always states on the bag how many calories/100 g any food is.

I am not sure what I wrote can make sense to anyone but me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Awanderer- that makes perfect sense except I have never seen a food that has how many calories per 100g on the bag. Wish they did, though, would make life a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Latatian wrote: »
    Awanderer- that makes perfect sense except I have never seen a food that has how many calories per 100g on the bag. Wish they did, though, would make life a lot easier.

Really? I'll double check in the morning but I am quite sure I used that method to know how much food to give my dog when his usual food wasn't delivered on time and I had to buy a smaller bag of another similar food to bridge the gap. I was really sure every bag had the calories per 100 g writen on it as it is for human food. Sorry if that is not the case.

awanderer wrote: »
    Really? I'll double check in the morning but I am quite sure I used that method to know how much food to give my dog when his usual food wasn't delivered on time and I had to buy a smaller bag of another similar food to bridge the gap. I was really sure every bag had the calories per 100 g writen on it as it is for human food. Sorry if that is not the case.

Not all do unfortunately, but yes, some brands do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I buy Taste of the Wild from zooplus and it has the measurements in grams on the bag.

mad muffin wrote: »
    I buy Taste of the Wild from zooplus and it has the measurements in grams on the bag.

It's €61 at the minute in pet mania. How much on zooplus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It's €61 at the minute in pet mania. How much on zooplus?

Same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Do Pet Mania still sell TOTW? I cant find it on their website and amazon are no longer doing it on S&S.

• Advertisement

toadfly wrote: »
    Do Pet Mania still sell TOTW? I cant find it on their website and amazon are no longer doing it on S&S.

They did up to 2 weeks ago in Portlaoise anyway. Not sure if it's still in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I think they may have stocking issues as I've had a few people come in asking about it in maxi zoo, may be temporary though!

Advertisement